cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus Service is Horrible (RMA Procedure fail and hardware downgrade)

C4RN1
Level 9
Pasted from my thread at notebookreview

I just received my g53sx from fedex today and i open the box and there's no power cord. I called them up and first they told me i needed to purchase a new power cord (that asus wasn't responsible for accessories). I argued with them and received a case number, they should be shipping me a power adapter soon.

I was pretty angry because it says right on the packing sheet that i sent it, so i should receive it back. You would think that since it's in the packing description it should be normal to double check before the rma is packaged and shipped out, apparently not. Anyway that's not that big of a mistake, i'd pay shipping if i had to and it's excusable.

So i have my g53sx-a1 that i bricked doing a bios update with thread here. I had the computer for about 45 mins then bricked it so i decided to start it up and mess with it a little (it has about 24% battery left, no way to charge it right now). Well i start it no problem, log into windows and then i realize my gpu observer program is reading the gpu as a gtx460m with 1.5gb ram (it's supposed to be a gtx560m with 2gb ram). In the device manager it confirms it's a gtx460m. From what i'm guessing they replaced the motherboard with one from an older g53sx or a g53sw that has the 192bit bus instead of the 128bit bus. So they couldn't use the gtx560m with the replacement motherboard.

Now some of you may argue the gtx460m on the higher 192bit bus is better, it is but it's not what i paid for. I called up asus and they gave me another rma number, i told them i have no personal information on the computer and would like an exchange because i'm having nothing but problems from them. They told me since i used the warranty that an exchange is not possible.

So i'm pretty angry with the whole situation, i'm so pissed off that i'm thinking about suing asus. I own a small computer repair store and if i was to do this to a customers computer i would get sued. If i had to replace the motherboard with an older version i would tell the customer. Asus is a huge corporation, they shouldn't have these huge flaws in their system.

I think that if i was just a normal user i wouldn't have noticed that they actually downgraded the video card, i'd still be mad about the power adapter though.

Here is some proof it's the gtx460m instead of the gtx560m that's supposed to be in it.

So what should i do? Sue asus or send in this expensive laptop that i've used for 45 mins that i've had nothing but problems with?
7 REPLIES 7

mundee
Level 9
Hey. Sorry to hear about whats happened i can honestly say i know how you feel... If you US based i would contact Mason@Asus on this forum. He is the go to man with RMA problems and very very good guy.. Send him a PM and he will get back to you. It may take a couple of days as he is insanely busy but trust me he will get back to you. If your in Europe like me.. all i can say to you is good luck...

Mason
Level 10
Hi C4RN1, I replied to your PM. When you get a chance, go ahead and send the RMA info I requested to the e-mail I gave you and I'll get back to you as soon as I have any info.

Gorman
Level 12
ASUS will never give you an exchange or refund under any circumstances (possibly they will if ordered to by a court, stay tuned on mundee's thread!).
There is also reports that the chargers that come with G35s are faulty (so maybe that is why they are reluctant) and will cause your power pin to melt and snap off - save yourself some trouble and buy another one! Be very careful with the delicate power pin, nearly 100% of G35s will have the pin snap off within a few months of use.

Good luck!

Thanks for the reply Mason, i sent you an email with all my information.

Gorman it's not that the adapter is defective, it's that the pin for the dc jack that they used is just too small (2.5mm) and easy to break. I've repaired a handful of newer asus rog laptops and they all have different issues. I've only seen 2 with dc jack issues so far, but believe me this is a normal flaw in all laptops. Toshiba laptops (don't ever buy a toshiba) and hp/compaq laptops and usually sony/fujitsu all have a dc jack with a harness. This means you can easily replace the dc jack if you have any problems (no soldering). Asus and a hand full of other computer manufactures still use a dc jack that's soldered directly to the motherboard. Dell started using daughterboards that are replaceable, but i always just replace the dc jack. Usually i find customers wrapping their power cord around the base of their computer to get it to tweak the jack a certain way to get a good power connection. It's actually pretty funny that they think this is normal.

I own a small computer store and i get at least 3 dc jacks a week, believe me if the dc jack on this laptop broke i would just replace it myself (asus would replace the whole motherboard). Of course my warranty would be void but eh i'm a certified technician who knows what he's doing.

The only thing i plan to buy for this laptop is more ram, not a replacement power adapter. Anyway thanks for the replys, i'm looking forward to responses from the asus reps i emailed.

kiba
Level 10
dude, wow, this is just terrible, im sorry lol, but i think youre wrong about a normal user not noticing the gtx 460m, i mean, its displayed in config panels for games and whatnot, also, the next time you went to upgrade drivers, the ones for the 5xx series wouldnt work on a 4xx series. that said, what they did to you is awful and deplorable, and you should not have been treated in this way, especially since they are making you PAY for a new power cable after this awful screw up. if I were you i might contact a lawyer and see what they can do about getting some money out of them. as you stated, the older g5x series have issues w/ the power pin (my older brother has one and w/ the luckiness of not having had his break off yet, but he is EXTREMELY careful w/ it), so maybe they can get yours replaced w/ a g55, or a g75 since g55's have temp issues. I wish you luck bro, it sounds like a nightmare but i feel for you, if theres anything that the ROG forums can do for you in terms of tech support or anything else, let us know and well do our best.

if you do talk to a lawyer, i would think that there is significant documentation of the power pin issue and other issues w/ the g53, as well as other dissapointing rma horror stories on this forum, if you need it.
ROG Notebooks: G75VW, G74SX, & G73JH And a gaming rig.

Mason
Level 10
Got your reply. It's strange that the repair history only shows the MB and the battery being replaced, but your laptop is clearly showing 460m on your system. It's possible that the technicians either failed to note that the VGA board was also replaced or that the replacement motherboarding is reading the VGA info incorrectly. I'm gonna go ahead and have you send the laptop in to me so I can check it out and make sure to get it resolved for you.