cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dual boot debian/windows g75vw

Excondor
Level 7
Hi,
I'm sorry if this question has already been exposed, but I've no more time to read this forum, sorry about that.
I'm a phd student in computer science, my toshiba has burned \o/ and I wanna buy this one: G75VW-T1171V - SSD EDITION, for game (windows) and work (debian). Is it possible to create a dual boot between these 2 OS? is there any documentation to do that ? If it's hard, is it possible to buy this laptop with the dual boot (and where) ?
Thanks in advance for your help ;).
6 REPLIES 6

DaemonCantor
Level 13
Yes it's completely possible and as for the Documentation look at your Debian info, you'll probably use the GRUB install so you can choose at boot time which OS you want to start.

Thanks for the answer.
I'll wait 3 days before order it. So, there is no problems to create a dual boot, that's cool; I've asked this because I hesitate with the alienware and I've read that alot of people can't install fedora, debian or ubuntu.
Last question, I never had a SSD + HDD, so, when i gonna select the drives for the different /var, etc. is it possible to use SSD for both windows and debian ?

DaemonCantor
Level 13
Yes just like your Desktop versions it will shrink the Windows Partition and make room for the Linux. But instead of the Multi Partitions like on past versions it's now down to just 1 Partition for Linux...it's been a while since I installed so I can't remember the name off hand but I've done it with OpenSUSE, Ubuntu, and Debian. I just don't like Gnome and prefer KDE personally.

Yeah me too :).
Thanks for the answer, I gonna order it and create a new thread if I have problems with that.
Have a good day 🙂

DaemonCantor
Level 13
You and Best of luck.

Gorman
Level 12
Yup, just create a partition on your SSD and install fedora as you usually would.

GL HF