cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chronic Freezing G73Jh-RCNX09

Retired
Not applicable
I have the Best Buy version of the G73Jh that I picked up in November 2010. It worked pretty well for the first month (just long enough for BB's return policy to expire) then the freezing started. I tried reinstalling the OS 3 times (included version, OEM 7 Home Premium 64 and OEM 7 Professional 64 all with SP 1 installed), flashed the BIOS and vBIOS, updated all the drivers, monitored temperature levels etc. and the freezing was still a problem. So I sent it to ASUS and they replaced the motherboard, video and keyboard. It froze 10 minutes into FurMark when I got it back. So, I sent it right back to them. Once again they replaced the same 3 components and once again in froze 10 minutes into FurMark.

The freezing can happen at any time using any application. Sometimes it is 5 minutes from the time I start the computer and other times I can be working/gaming on it for 5 hours before it freezes. When it freezes the system becomes unresponsive. The only way to access it again is pressing and holding down the power button.

I've recently come across threads that mention the Atheros AR9285 Wireless Adapter could be the cause. So I uninstalled the latest drivers, turned WLAN off using Fn+F2 and disabled the card in Device Manager. It froze on me once since trying this so I'm a little disappointed. Should I remove the card completely to see if that helps? Unfortunately, I can't replace it with an Intel 6200 as I'm overseas for the next 6 weeks. If it isn't the wireless does anyone have other suggestions as to what I can try? Keep in mind that I don't have access to installation disks at the moment or the ability to buy other components.

Thanks!
13 REPLIES 13

Chastity
Level 10
It can be caused by a lot of things, including the Wifi or RAM. It can also happen if you are running the original stock vBIOS, which I am sure you are since they replaced the card. Upgrade that first with the v93 vBIOS. You can find the update on my Driver Page in the stickies.
[SIGPIC]Kicking Ass Since Today[/SIGPIC]

Retired
Not applicable
I'll try flashing the vBIOS again this evening... my current version is:

BIOS Version 012.020.000.032
BIOS Part Number G730528.001
BIOS Date 2010/08/09

I noticed there is a slight descrepancy between these numbers and the ones provided by the update.

Retired
Not applicable
Chastity wrote:
It can be caused by a lot of things, including the Wifi or RAM. It can also happen if you are running the original stock vBIOS, which I am sure you are since they replaced the card. Upgrade that first with the v93 vBIOS. You can find the update on my Driver Page in the stickies.

I have the same issue as the OP and have tried all the options from this thread at NotebookReview: http://forum.notebookreview.com/asus-gaming-notebook-forum/492354-all-g73jh-problems-solutions-here....
Any way of knowing if it's the RAM or Wifi that are causing the freezing? Any kind of fix for this?

Retired
Not applicable
Unfortunately, flashing the vBIOS didn't help. The laptop has frozen twice since the update forcing me to shut the system down by pressing and holding the power button. It wouldn't be so bad if I didn't need this thing for work - froze right in the middel of working on a CAD drawing. 😞

Any other suggestions?

Retired
Not applicable
Any events in Event Viewer?

Have you tried updating the audio codec to the latest from Realtek?

Retired
Not applicable
Unfortunately, there is nothing in the Event Viewer other than the errors reported because the system wasn't shut down properly.

Yes. I'm using the latest Realtek drivers (2.58 and 2.55 for HDMI).

Chastity
Level 10
Well, first I would update my vBIOS and BIOS before tearing apart hardware. And also update your Intel INF.
[SIGPIC]Kicking Ass Since Today[/SIGPIC]

Retired
Not applicable
For me, I've been doing nothing but update software/drivers/BIOS for the past 5 months (not to mention sending it in for RMA service twice). Ripping out hardware is about all that I have left - wich I did today. I removed the AzureWave card and re-seated the 3 sticks of RAM that I could easily get to from the back. Here's hoping it is successful.

Kobby_Spiky_Nkr
Level 7
I've been facing the same problem as SteveP. My G73JH just freezes without warning.