cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Crosshair V + Corsair Dominator GT

Strato
Level 9
Hi,

I just bought 16GB Dominator GT Kit (CMT16GX3M4X2133C9) to pair with my new Crosshair V and I thought I did enough research before buying but now am second guessing the decision wondering if it indeed is compatible. I have found only one post on the site with anything at all to say about it. just wondering if anyone has used this kit with this board?

Thanks

Mobo:Crosshair V Formula
CPU: AMD FX-8150
RAM: Corsair Dominator GT 16GB Kit - 2133MHZ
GPU: VisionTek Radeon 7850 HD
Optical_0: Lite-On DVD/RW Burner Combo Drive
Optical_1: Sony BD/RW Burner Combo Drive
SSD: Samsung 830 Series 256GB SATAIII (OS Drive)
HDD: Seagate Barracuda XT 2TB SATAIII (Data)
Cooling: Corsair H100 Performance CPU Cooler
Case: Cooler Master Cosmos 1000
PSU: Thermaltake Toughpower 750W
24 REPLIES 24

HiVizMan
Level 40
You are going to have to overclock your ram of course but that should not be too much of a challenge. Personally I would start with just two sticks of ram at first and once I have them stable then I would add the other two sticks.

That kit of ram was designed for the Intel X79 platform as far as I know. As are pretty much all quad kits.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

chrsplmr
Level 18
This particular set is super easy to set up on the CrossHair V, although - Not on the QVL.
with all due respect and a little more.
(what cpu ? btw.)
Set the profile in the bios to the 2133 profile.
[[Press [Del] during boot]]
In the memory settings .. per Raja's Thread.
Set T2
Read to Read > 5

Now as pointed out above, each is 'a' little unique. Start with one stick, closest to the cpu.
Please, Keep us ''Posted''.

and Please excuse my Manners. Welcome to theROGforum.c.

Hello,

I just hung up the phone with Corsair Support and the tech told me the best he had ever heard of was 1866 with the Crosshair V! disappointed, I was just printing the RMA when I saw your reply. I guess all tech support is not created equal and some definitively is better than others! I will go ahead and keep it and continue researching here to get the proper settings to make it work.

MEM: Corsair Dominator GT 16GB 4x4 (CMT16GX3M4X2133C9)
PS: Thermaltake Toughpower 750
GPU: AMD Radeon 7850
Cooling: Corsair Hydro H100

I will definitely update the post with my progress

Thank you again for the quick reply 🐵

HiVizMan
Level 40
No stress mate you have a very good bloke helping you out. Chris has spent many a happy hour/day/weeks messing with his AMD rig.

So you are in good hands, and please do keep us all in the loop as to how you are going and what you are trying. That way other folks who have the same system or nearly the same system can learn with you.

Cheers
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

chrsplmr
Level 18
Thank You HiVizMan..
brotherStrato .. good Sir, If you remember the name of the CorsairPhoneReppyDude..
tell him .. hahahah ... " Welcome to ROG." Poor chap never had the pleasure. Enlighten him.

Kindly do as I and HiViz suggested above .[then]. download cpu-z -- and send him the link
to your results..

Example of just One that does:
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?17771-VitaChan-A-New-ROG-r-is-Born-!!!&country=&status=

We are RightHere .. how'd U do ?

EDIT::: ummm .. What were you RMA'ing ? The Memory or The V ?
[[yea..keep that..ur gonna laugh about it later..]].c.

Edit to Below:: Exactly SilverWolf.thnx. cpu-z ?

All, Thank you for the reply's. Yep you were right about the memory, it was a 10 second fix, Many Thanks!!

But have bigger problem with installing OS (win7 64 ultimate) on to new Samsung 830 SSD (256GB). This has occupied my entire day trying to get this to load. I have tied removing the second hdd Seagate Barracuda XT (data), optical drives leaving only the SSD and one optical to install OS from, I have tried moving the SSD to different SATA ports 1-6 as well as the ASmedia port, and got error on first boot during install that system cannot find c:\windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe

after doing a lot more searching on thing I tried was loading the ASmedia driver from the ASUS ROC setup CD and now after multiple setup attempts I keep getting Windows Installation errors

"The computer restarted unexpectedly or encountered an unexpected error. Windows installation cannot proceed. To install Windows, click "OK" to restart computer, and then restart the installation"

I have been stuck in this loop all day :o(
I realize there is a problem with the OS seeing the drive or partitions correctly but have run out of ideas as to what to try next,

Thanks again for your comments, they are much appreciated!!!

Strato

Silver_Wolf
Level 10
I can give you a 100% guarantee that Corsair Dominator GT 2133 mhz works fine with a crosshair V as I am running it in my system. I added a 16gb kit to my mobo with no issues at all booted first time no worries and never had any issues.

HiVizMan
Level 40
Here is what you do.

Download the Microsoft USB tool and follow the prompts to put your OS onto a USB stick.

Now remove all stuff from the SATA ports except your Samsung SSD, same kind as those which I use by the way so I know that this works.

No connect the SSD to any SATA port, I am not a fan of the Asmedia ports but if that is what you want to use then all good. Oh and the SATA ports are labled incorrectly in the manual I seem to recall.

Once you have done that head on over to the SATA controller and set your SATA port that is populated with the SSD to AHCI.

Now F10 and enter.

You can power down if you like.

Or just pop the USB stick into a suitable port quickly.

F8 to select your boot source, choose the USB stick. 🙂

Let the installation happen.

Key here is the AHCI part.

Building the USB install stick now, ( cant believe I didn't have one) will update when complete, I actually thought about doing this an hour ago but took a brake instead probably would have been done by now, lol

Thanks 🙂