cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cooling system and how it works

ooopepper
Level 7
I have a few questions about the cooling system. FIrst, where does it intake air from? Is it from underneath? Is it from multiple areas? Also, would be ok if it was sat on the bed or on a person's lap?
9 REPLIES 9

Cecil_2099
Level 11
Intake is from underneath. I wouldn't suggest having it on a bed as that would likely block the intakes. Lap should be more or less OK.
G75VW-BBK5 (Stock configuration with added Crucial M4 256GB SATA SSD as OS boot drive)

Need to know how to restore your G75 to it's factory-like condition? Go to my step-by-step guide:
Step-by-Step: Using ASUS Recovery DVDs to Restore G75

Want to download the latest drivers and utilities for your G75/G55? Go to this thread:
Downloading New Drivers/Utilities for G75/G55

Dark
Level 9
ooopepper wrote:
I have a few questions about the cooling system. FIrst, where does it intake air from? Is it from underneath? Is it from multiple areas? Also, would be ok if it was sat on the bed or on a person's lap?

Depending on what cooling ???
eg air
pipe
water

if air eg fan it pulls the air in from top towards the cpu as the case fans then suck the hot air away

as for sat on bed if laptop yes would be fine longs it dont fall same with lap. was confused by what you mean on this.
motherboard ASUS Crosshair V Formula
PSU Fractal Design Newton R2 1000W
MemoryRipjaws 16 GB
CaseArmor Mx
CPUAMD Bulldozer FX-8120 8 Core 3.10GHz

Clocked to 4.5GHz

Im a girl 🙂 so be nice as i bite

I've tried playing Tera while having it on the bed and it was okay for the first two hours. The bed was pretty hot after that, but the laptop was fine. I wouldn't suggest playing longer than that. As for on the lap...I wouldn't try playing on my lap, considering the weight of the laptop. 🙂

john_from_ohio
Level 11
ooopepper wrote:
Also, would be ok if it was sat on the bed or on a person's lap?

Get some kind of lap desk setup ( also use it when sitting in bed ) ... it will protect your lap and allow air to be drawn into the unit ...

Brian_ROG
Level 9
Get a chill mat and play in bed as much as you want :cool:
Asus G75VW-NS72
Intel Core i7-3720QM 2.6GHz
16GB DDR3 1600MHz
750GB 7200RPM + 256G SSD
Nividia Geforce GTX 670M 3G GDDR5
Blu-ray Burner

"Right...very creepy. Forget I asked."
-Alistar DAO

kiba
Level 10
the word laptop=false advertising, 3rd degree burns on my crotch and the thing roasted my weener like a hot dog, all it needs now is a bun and some condiments. i am not a happy camper 😞
ROG Notebooks: G75VW, G74SX, & G73JH And a gaming rig.

Jsl1ce wrote:
the word laptop=false advertising, 3rd degree burns on my crotch and the thing roasted my weener like a hot dog, all it needs now is a bun and some condiments. i am not a happy camper 😞

what you couldn't feel the heat before getting 3rd degree? and are you talking about the g73+ series? because they're pretty good for putting on your lap as the heat comes out from the rear

The G73/74/53 systems all take air in from the top of the notebook, through the speaker grille :), as opposed to drawing air up from the bottom like most do :(, or in through solid aluminum as macs do :mad:. This means that the system stays nice and cool, even while gaming. In fact, it means that a chillpad is almost meaningless. On the G75, I think at least some of the air is drawn in through the bottom of the notebook :(. I guess this means we can clean the fans easy, but ASUS could not make the speaker grille removable? Just my $2x10^-2 😉
I am disturbed because I cannot break my system...found out there were others trying to cope! We have a support group on here, if your system will not break, please join!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=16
We now have 178 people whose systems will not break! Yippee! 🙂
LINUX Users, we have a group!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=23

Liquidus wrote:
what you couldn't feel the heat before getting 3rd degree? and are you talking about the g73+ series? because they're pretty good for putting on your lap as the heat comes out from the rear

i was joking hehe 😉
Zygomorphic wrote:
The G73/74/53 systems all take air in from the top of the notebook, through the speaker grille
the g73 does, but actually the inlets for the g74 are behind the speaker grille, underneath the monitor, which is where i beleive half of the inlets for the g75 are, the other half being on the bottom. I could be wrong about that though, its just what it looks like to me, but i know about the g74/73 for sure, i have taken them apart a few times to repaste them.
ROG Notebooks: G75VW, G74SX, & G73JH And a gaming rig.