cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CPU Fan Header Issue - Rampage IV Extreme

Swi7chblade
Level 7
Hi there everyone. Second issue with the Rampage IV Extreme.

I've got a Swiftech H20-320 Edge HD Watercooling kit set up in my system with an ASUS Rampage IV Extreme, Intel Core i7 3930k and 16GB of G.Skill Ripjawz Z Memory.

Just to clear this up, the Watercooler pump has two cables. One runs to a 4 Pin Molex connector for power, and the other is a 4 pin fan header connection that plugs into the CPU_Fan header to allow the motherboard to control the pump speed.

All was running fine until last night while I was running a Prime95 Torture test. Then all of a sudden the pump appeared to have cut out. So i switched the system off, made sure everything was plugged in correctly, made sure nothing had blow, or burnt out, etc. Turned the system back on, and discovered the CPU_Fan header has stopped working entirely. If I plug the connector into it, for the pump or any fan at all, the fan will always run at the lowest possible speed. If I unplug the connector for the pump, it kicks right up to 100% and stays there. I've tried a full BIOS reset (Unplug everything, take out CMOS battery, leave for 12 hours) and that hasn't solved anything.

Any help is appreciated, I know that this isn't explained very well, and if anything needs further clarifying just ask.

Kind regards,
Swi7chblade
7 REPLIES 7

xeromist
Well, if a fan will still run then it hasn't stopped working entirely. I would make sure you have the latest BIOS first. Also I can't remember if there is a setting to disable dynamic fan control (essentially just run at full). If there is then I'd see what that does.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

xeromist wrote:
Well, if a fan will still run then it hasn't stopped working entirely. I would make sure you have the latest BIOS first. Also I can't remember if there is a setting to disable dynamic fan control (essentially just run at full). If there is then I'd see what that does.

Tried the latest BIOS, and earlier. Disabled Q-Fan control, still the same result. Before the issue started, if I disabled the Q-Fan control it would run at full.

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Hmm:confused:, have you tried the other BIOS chip? or plugging the pump into any other fan header like the cpu opt one to find if the result is the same?

Arne Saknussemm wrote:
Hmm:confused:, have you tried the other BIOS chip? or plugging the pump into any other fan header like the cpu opt one to find if the result is the same?

Yeah I've tried the other BIOS chip, still the same result. And also yes, tried another header. If I plug it into the CPU_Opt, same result. If I plug it into any other header it works like it should. Or at least works like the header is configured to work in the BIOS.

HiVizMan wrote:
Check the wires of the 4pin fan header. I wonder if the control wire has not shifted a little or burnt out.

Checked that, the wires and connectors are all aligned and in order. No burnt spots or smell of smoke at the time.

HiVizMan
Level 40
Check the wires of the 4pin fan header. I wonder if the control wire has not shifted a little or burnt out.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Sounds like something has shorted/failed in the CPU header circuit if you are sure BIOS has been reset to defaults/and/or not set up wrong etc. You would have to inspect all the capacitors etc. to see if there is anything visible....:(

No software that could do this right?

Arne Saknussemm wrote:
Sounds like something has shorted/failed in the CPU header circuit if you are sure BIOS has been reset to defaults/and/or not set up wrong etc. You would have to inspect all the capacitors etc. to see if there is anything visible....:(

No software that could do this right?

Nothing was visible at all, nothing seemed shorted or broken. However I returned the board to the place of purchase and got it swapped on the spot. New one is working like a charm with nothing wrong at all. I have no idea what caused this, but I'm going to keep a careful eye on it from now on.