cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Internet Connection Dropping Constantly

Gomez
Level 7
I have a G75V. Everytime I am on the Internet, my signal gets cut off when I click on a link or try to go to a new page. Then I have to go through the troubleshoot routine to get the connection re-established. I have not had any problems with dropped Internet signals on any LAN prior to purchasing this laptop.

If I ethernet hardwire to my LAN this I do not get dropped Internet signal.

I have an HP wireless laptop, a wired ASUS based pc and a wireless ASUS based pc. In three years with the HP Laptop and two years with the two ASUS based pc's, I have not once had a dropped Internet signal.

A second issue is when I hook up a Logitech C910 HD camera to this laptop it boggs down like tomorrow will never come. Even if I start Turbo Boost the laptop boggs down and doesn't want to respond properly.

I am assuming this laptop just has a defective wireless card. But I am becoming concerned with problems I have read around the Internet that people have been having with this particular model. Is there anyone else having experienced similar issues? If so, is there a particular remedy you found to correct such issues
10 REPLIES 10

Angrybrit
Level 7
If you have access to your router make sure the wifi is not in mixed channel mode the aetheros card hates it and you probably can just set it to n band it wont change anything unless you have old pc's then you need to set it to g band because most "very" old pc's don't support n band.

My router is set to WPA2-PSK on the Netgear N600. From the documentation this appears to be the "n" access only. It appears the mixed channel would be WPA-PSK+WPA2-PSK. I could be mistaken. The HP laptop has always operated with the router set at WPA2-:PSK as well.

My two desktop pc's are both running ASUS wireless cards ("n) and there has never been a problem with either of them staying connected to the Internet.

Gomez wrote:
My router is set to WPA2-PSK on the Netgear N600. From the documentation this appears to be the "n" access only. It appears the mixed channel would be WPA-PSK+WPA2-PSK. I could be mistaken. The HP laptop has always operated with the router set at WPA2-:PSK as well.

My two desktop pc's are both running ASUS wireless cards ("n) and there has never been a problem with either of them staying connected to the Internet.

nope psk is just pre shared key, my router had the same thing until i set it to n only...

I got the driver updates and that seems to have corrected the connection problems. I have been all over the Internet for the past several hours and no drops.

I had been to the driver update site previously but everytime I clicked on the "DOWNLOAD" buttons I got screwy program downloads for things I didn't want.

What I realized, this time, is that when you come to the download page, you have to go all the way to the bottom and click on the worded link rather than the button links that say "download". The download buttons are really deceptive. The site seems to be Czech or Russian.

At any rate, thanks for the help on this issue. Now I can get down to some serious use on this machine. My intended use for it is to use with the third HD camera hookup for streaming to my main tv studio server when I go on remote video shoots. And maybe I can test drive a few games when I'm not wrapped up with the business end of it.

Thanks again.

Angrybrit wrote:
nope psk is just pre shared key, my router had the same thing until i set it to n only...

I went back to the driver download site and figured out how to get the updated drivers. No more drops since downloading the updated drivers earlier today. It seems I will not need to change the settings on the router.

Thanks for your replies. I came short of opening up the case to pull the card and test it physically. I'm glad it was just the drivers. You know what they say about assume... Well, I assumed a brand new 1,300 notebook would be pretty up to date so I didn't give a lot of thought to a driver issue.

Thank you very much for your responses. Now I'm curious about how to set my N600 to "n" only because I went back and forth through the set up and couldn't find a place on the Netgear to change it to a sole setting.

leeayon
Level 7
try updating your drivers for the atheros card , some post a link for the drivers a few threads ago . worked for me

Myk_SilentShado
Level 15
In your Netgear Router settings click on "wireless settings" look for Mode and set it to the highest "up to xxxMbps" one you can, save and reboot it 🙂

im having the same problem. i have the g55 and the wireless card seems to not be able to keep up with multiple tasks. it downloads thing extremly slow and then will time out, show i still have 5 bars and cant connect to the internet but im still connected to the network. i then have to turn off wifi then re start it. i feel for spending this much on a laptop it should not have this problem with the wireless card. i want to know is it maybe a defect with the card or is it just a ****ty wireless card? i meen my gf has a 3 year old laptop and can do mutiple things that needs the internet and have no problem. i try to do 2 thing that need the internet and it goes rly slow then times out. anyone have anything that wil help??

Protiss
Level 7
This seems to still be an issue for Asus. I have a completely different model (R500V), and I'm running into the exact same problems. Every 2 or 3 minutes my connection drops. It doesn't show dropped, but if I click on a link, I get a connection timed out error. If I wait another 15 or 20 seconds, I'm back up. Per this thread, I'm downloading the newest wireless driver right now. Hopefully it fixes it, but this is an extremely frustrating problem. I wasted hours today running virus scans. No viruses, so I finally googled it and came across this thread. Wish me luck - Asus fix your crap, seriously. This laptop wasn't cheap. My daughter has a $300 dell that doesn't have this problem.