Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Tech Marketing Manager HQ Array Raja@ASUS's Avatar

It's becasue english is not your first language that I suggested you contact support in your region. There are no Swedish reps here, it's not a region I cover at all. This is really a case for them to handle and maybe this will encourage them to offer support on the forums, too.

As for the rest, you are reading between the lines too much. I am simply saying find a product that does what you want it to. I don't own all of the ASUS cards or have them in front of me, nor do I use any downstream digital receivers so cannot help make suggestions. The only thing I can suggest is contact ASUS in your region as they might be able to help you.

-Raja

New ROGer Array

Raja, I think the problem people are having is that S/PDIF is advertised as a use for this sound card. ASUS advertises not only the use of S/PDIF but they include a TOSLINK adapter in the box itself. As for the drivers, you guys even have a picture on the Phoebus page that shows options for S/PDIF that aren't even available in the actual drivers.

On top of that, ASUS is using a c-media chip on the Phoebus, which would require the use of some form of the c-media drivers. That being the case, past c-media drivers have included all of the options we are asking for, so they should not be that hard to implement for the Phoebus.

Lastly, Raja, on your statement about using a different sound card, at this time, it is not feasible. Reason being is that there are very few if any sound cards out there right now that are both new and still have driver support. Any of the cards from the Xonar line, except for the Phoebus, have drivers that were last updated in June of 2011, and with the coming release of Windows 8, these drivers will not work because the drivers you guys use, which are c-media based, are not Windows 8 compatible at all.

This lack of Windows 8 support on the older drivers is why I went for the Phoebus. So it would be nice to see some support for a recent card, and not just tell us to go else where.

ROG Enthusiast Array

I didn't bother to complain too much about the SPDIF output since that was not the main reason I purchased the card. I do have to admit that the options are lacking compared to cheaper cards such as the DX. I would guess that Asus would release drivers sometime in the future to rectify the issue since we all know that the hardware is more than capable.

ROG Member Array

I was thinking of buying this card to replace my faulty D2X, would only cost me £20 more, but after reading the amount of problems people are having I'm put off now.

I'm currently using SPDIF out with DTS Interactive.

So, with the Pheobus can you not use the Dolby Home Theatre, eq, flex bass etc? can you set the speaker settings to 5.1 when in SPDIF mode ? basically do all the audio enhancements etc work in SPDIF mode?

ROG Guru: White Belt Array

There is no DTS interactive with Phoebus. The similar thing is Dolby Digital Live. You may turn on DDL without other Dolby PCEEv4 effects.

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by WTC View Post
    There is no DTS interactive with Phoebus. The similar thing is Dolby Digital Live. You may turn on DDL without other Dolby PCEEv4 effects.
    Thanks, the last bit, "You may turn on DDL without other Dolby PCEEv4 effects" so i can use DDL and use the effects from Dolby home theater ? eq, upmixing etc? also is there dolby prologic 2 ?
    Last edited by Zaim22; 12-28-2012 at 01:41 AM.

ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array InnervateD's Avatar

I think the main issue with the Pheobus is that it's suppose to be the premium gaming sound card that supports as many features as it can to satisfy the gaming crowd and still have enough features to satisfy some but not all music lovers and to be an all around entertainment sound card while providing decent methods of connectivity to get the sound out.

When this card was first announced almost a year ago, I wanted this card so badly. Almost bought the card as soon as it was available at one of my local computer shops, only to wait a month and read poor reviews with drivers issues with Battlefield 3 and punk buster and just software issues with the card.

I was actually going to buy this card hoping driver updates will fix it later down the road and that maybe I wouldn't be as unlucky as some who have posted here. But decided strongly against buying the Phoebus because there's no DTS support.

I dunno. I know the Phoebus is suppose to be a gaming first in mind card for analog 7.1 and headphone use which is fine. But going back to the OP, I do agree. If there is a port that allows for digital out via SPDIF there should be support for it. You can't give us a feature and say it wasn't intended to be used that way. It's like a take me backer move.

After waiting, and reading reviews and really looking at the very poor driver support for this card, I really can't blame a lot of people. This card had so much promise and it ended up as the biggest disappointment in the ROG product line up. It being the first ROG sound card you essentially label it as the king sound card the company has to offer to the gaming/high end-enthusiasts community. And to many of us after seeing how good the older cards such as the Essence ST/STX, the DG/DGX, D2X, etc... we all had high hopes that this would be another gem and it ends up being the black sheep.

Since the card's release, there's been only 2 driver updates, and both of which are Beta drivers, I believe there was like a 4 months spread between the 2 beta drivers.

The price tag on this card is about $200, that's a lot more than most other gaming sound cards and almost the same prices as other high end cards such as it's own Essence STX and the soon to be Creative Soundblaster ZxR which is a little more than the Phoebus in price.

How can you not expect there to be angry people when you charge them a lot for a subpar sound card? Don't get me wrong I'm sure the hardware on the card is top notch, but you need the software to properly make the card work, and if the card isn't working the way it's supposed to, you're gonna have a lot of angry people.

Now I've always loved ASUS products still do, but I gotta say the Phoebus is the one product in the ROG line up that puts the ROG brand name to shame it really does. I expect the ROG brand products to have the highest level of attention if you expect the consumer to pay a premium for your products. This is the only product in the ROG line that I can think of that is so disappointing that I can't believe that it was an ASUS product.

I know you don't really have control of what a product does once it's out and only feedback and stuff like this comes in so that you can improved on future products and or driver base for the product, but seriously this has been one of the biggest let downs in ROG history for such a product being the first ROG branded soundcard after having produced such great sound cards before.

I dunno if you guys at ASUS needs to make a revision card and a brand new ground up built drivers to fix this, but it would be a good move to fix this and provide the already owners of this card with either a driver base that works with their current cards, or to fix the issue if it is a hardware issue to provide everyone with this card a free replacement card to the revision card with working drivers.

To me, this doesn't hurt my love for ASUS products. I'm usually one of those people that do a lot of research before I drop a lot of money on stuff that will be used for a long period of time for my personal enjoyment, and I'll buy whatever I feel will do that for me. I've always enjoyed all of what ASUS has to offer, but I'm skipping on the Phoebus and I'm going with the Creative ZxR when it comes out. It seems to be a higher end/more updated version of the Essence STX with digital out supporting DTS, headphone amp, and the gaming features which is what I'm looking for in my sound card. I want that high fidelity sound card of the Essence STX while supporting at least 5.1 through digital out, with DD, DTS and the headphone amp. I want that all in one top of the line sound card for gaming, music, and movies for both high-end headphone use and high-end 5.1 speaker use. That's what I want if I'm going to drop $200+ on a sound card.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3