cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SSD Question

MICHELANGELO
Level 7
I have a G75VW purchase from Newegg. It has a 256 GB SSD and a 750 GB HDD. I was able to unpartion the 750 GB HDD, but not the SSD. I would really like to unpartion this drive, but I do not know how. Anyone have any advice?
5 REPLIES 5

Bills86e
Level 7
MICHELANGELO wrote:
I have a G75VW purchase from Newegg. It has a 256 GB SSD and a 750 GB HDD. I was able to unpartion the 750 GB HDD, but not the SSD. I would really like to unpartion this drive, but I do not know how. Anyone have any advice?

These are probly configured in the BIOS, with the SSD as Master drive .> for OS & programs. The HHD is probly configured as a slave drive ,> used to store pictures, games, videos of all types. The HHD is verry verry fast, but the SSD is 3-10 times faster, is a Flash Memory Drive so no moving disks to wear out. I store downloaded movies on a 3.0 thumbdrive, but thats another story. You ave probly more storage than you'll ever use anyway. Its how you use these. You could partition the HHD
with OS if ya wanted. (don't know why you'd need to do that).
ASUS G75VW-DS72
LG55LX6500 Display
A Green Weed to computing

xeromist
How are you trying to remove the partitioning? gparted will let you do a lot more than Windows but what is the goal? Are you trying to wipe the drive and reinstall Windows?
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

Hi

I am facing similar issues as well. I have 4 partitions on my new G75. By default, 2 SSD and 2 for the 7200 RPM drive. I also have Windows 7 Home Premium.

I am trying (want) to only have a single C SSD 256 Gig Drive, and install Windows 7 Ultimate (eventually/maybe Windows 😎 and a D (750 Gig) Data Drive.

I was thinking about simply reformatting all drives using the Windows 7 Ultimate DVD installation process; thereby creating a C and D drive. I have never used (let alone reformatted) a SSD drive before.

Is this the best way to proceed, or is there a better way????????????

Thank you

Jeff

I'm thinking they did the 4 partitions to use the full speed a SSD provides.
The HHD partitioned as just storage drives, for holding cells, one for pics, one for games or movies.
You could move say a few games you are into, to the SSD storage partition, move one to the OS partition to
play it in SuperSpeed (SSD). Seems that flash memory drives works that way?

The Green Weed
G75VW-DS72
now 3 days old
ASUS G75VW-DS72
LG55LX6500 Display
A Green Weed to computing

Acronis True Image Home can make a backup of your OS partition, and then expand it back onto the entire SSD, removing the partition. The newest version will also ensure your SSD is aligned.

1) Make a backup of your OS partition
2) Use Acronis to create emergency boot media (CD/DVD)
3) Boot from the emergency boot media
4) Restore your newly created OS partition back onto the SSD, choosing "new hard drive", and it will allow you to choose a single, or multiple partitions of your choice.

I have the same Laptop, and the first thing I did was update the bios, backup and restore, and now my SSD is a single partition.
G75VW-DS72 w/ Core i7-3610QM, 16GB, GeForce GTX 670, 256 GB SSD, 17.3in Full HD (2D Matte), Blu-ray Writer, Win 7 Home Premium 64-bit