Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

turns out my g75 was defective :(

kiba
Level 10
so i posted this a while ago...

http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?18047-G75VW-really-strange-behaviour

and ive been having similar problems ever since. yesterday, i almost hulked out and ripped it in half when it started freezing up while booting both normal and safe mode, it had been freezing up in windows for a while now.

so after i heard a loud pop come from under the keyboard, i took it back to micro center where i got it, and listed just anout every problem that i know of w/ the machine (and there are many; gpu throttling problem, audio driver issue, etc. among my probs i was having), although i think this is being caused by the mobo, but it turns out i used to work at micro center and the manager remembered me and aggreed w/ me about the mobo and offered me an exchange even though ive had it for 2.5 months.

anyways, i had the choice between another one w/ the 670m or one w/ the 660m. i chose the 660m (even though it has 1g less ram and less bittage) because i consider it a newer, better card, and i like the kepler architecture. also i got some money back 🙂 . the point is though, that as i was leaving, they told me that they had a lot of exchanges w/ the 670m models w/ defective mobo's, so just a heads up, im not sure if this is true or not, but i did try a memtest, 2x fresh installs of windows, 2x F9 restores, and different HD's, so that leaves the processor or the mobo, food for thought i guess.

im pretty happy w/ the 660m model, i stuck in my SSD and extra ram and it purrs like a kitten, way more stable and seems a lot faster than the 670m model, but it WAS a turd, i must admit.
ROG Notebooks: G75VW, G74SX, & G73JH And a gaming rig.
27 REPLIES 27

dstrakele
Level 14
Umm - we've all seen the picture of your original G75 that you posted in http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?18561-Remove-bottom-cover-G75VW-Quick-question-video-link-t.... I'm not pointing fingers here, but to me it looks like there may have been some CID (Customer-Induced Damage)...

But seriously, this quote:

Jsl1ce wrote:
. . the point is though, that as i was leaving, they told me that they had a lot of exchanges w/ the 670m models w/ defective mobo's, so just a heads up, im not sure if this is true or not, but i did try a memtest, 2x fresh installs of windows, 2x F9 restores, and different HD's, so that leaves the processor or the mobo, food for thought i guess.

is indicative that ASUS has SERIOUS quality control problems that cannot be explained away by saying only those with problems post to this forum. I want ASUS to be the best laptop manufacturer. That will require they seriously address this problem. It can no longer be swept under the rug.
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

I dont get how that happened.... double post.

dstrakele wrote:
But seriously, this quote:

is indicative that ASUS has SERIOUS quality control problems that cannot be explained away by saying only those with problems post to this forum. I want ASUS to be the best laptop manufacturer. That will require they seriously address this problem. It can no longer be swept under the rug.

I completely agree, I love ASUS (obviously since I have 3 of their laptops), but as far as the problems that Ive had with my laptops, I think that you are right. Who knows what quality standards they have, when small, probably underfed and sick children are probably building these things in sweat shops in china. Its hit or miss, sometimes you get a good one, sometimes you get a bad one. imo all of that really needs to change.

Especially since some people, on this forum even order these things from halfway around the world, it takes weeks to get to them, and when they open the box, it turns out to be damaged or defective in some way and they have to send it back, wait many more weeks for it to be exchanged (if theyre lucky) or RMA'd. This is extremely frustrating, if the quality standards were better, many people would be a lot happier.

Neither us or our distro channels have seen any mass failures with the G series

Out of all of our G75/55 series sold only 2 had enough issues to warrant exchange.
USA ASUS Reseller
http://www.neteffectspc.com

Shawnnepc wrote:
Neither us or our distro channels have seen any mass failures with the G series

Out of all of our G75/55 series sold only 2 had enough issues to warrant exchange.

well, like i said i dont know if what they told me is true or not, but i heard a loud *POP* come from under the keyboard, on the CPU side, followed by a quick freeze-up, then a shutdown. that combined w/ the other problems i had, its obvious that at the very least I got a bad one.

Jsl1ce wrote:
well, like i said i dont know if what they told me is true or not, but i heard a loud *POP* come from under the keyboard, on the CPU side, followed by a quick freeze-up, then a shutdown. that combined w/ the other problems i had, its obvious that at the very least I got a bad one.

No doubt there.

If I remember correctly ASUS has a defective rate of about 6-11% (well below industry)

ASUS also has some of the best QA that we've dealt with
USA ASUS Reseller

Shawnnepc wrote:
No doubt there.

If I remember correctly ASUS has a defective rate of about 6-11% (well below industry)

ASUS also has some of the best QA that we've dealt with

yep, dont get me wrong, i love asus, theyre one of my favorite manufacturers for notebooks, mobos and gpu's.

also sone of the metal near the top of the keybd was pushed up like it had been assembled wrong or at the very least, dropped during transit.

Jsl1ce wrote:
yep, dont get me wrong, i love asus, theyre one of my favorite manufacturers for notebooks, mobos and gpu's.

also sone of the metal near the top of the keybd was pushed up like it had been assembled wrong or at the very least, dropped during transit.

Yeah see that's why we're what is considered a VAR (Value Added Re-seller)

We don't stock any computers in out store, everything is ordered in from distro.

After we receive the unit from distro we inspect the unit and burn it in for 48 hours. During this time we also inspect the thermal paste on the GPU/CPU, check the voltages and timings of the ram, and we test the output of the AC.

When we ship or sell a unit we verify to the best of our ability that EVERYTHING is perfect.

Online retailers don't do that so it's also a gamble when your purchase stuff from them
USA ASUS Reseller

Well put me down as a g75 swap over.

Straight out the box the stupid GPU would **** it self as soon as it hit 63 degrees.

Place i got it didn't even check it, they just straight swapped it for a new one and this one is good so far.