cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will overclocking software void G55 warranty?

jodes29
Level 7
Hi

Before downloading overclocking software's such as EVGA Precision X and MSI Afterburner, i would like to know if it would void the warranty on my G55.

Thanks.
13 REPLIES 13

Shawnnepc
Level 13
jodes29 wrote:
Hi

Before downloading overclocking software's such as EVGA Precision X and MSI Afterburner, i would like to know if it would void the warranty on my G55.

Thanks.

Any change of factory settings will void your warranty. *

* unless the unit allows you to do this yourself with ASUS provided software, or ASUS advertises 'Overclocking ability'
USA ASUS Reseller
http://www.neteffectspc.com

Ok thanks, will it be ok then if i install Asus's GPU Tweak software, and if so is it any good?

jodes29 wrote:
Ok thanks, will it be ok then if i install Asus's GPU Tweak software, and if so is it any good?

Is it any good, I don't think so--I do not think it supports notebooks. Yes, it will void the warranty.
I am disturbed because I cannot break my system...found out there were others trying to cope! We have a support group on here, if your system will not break, please join!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=16
We now have 178 people whose systems will not break! Yippee! 🙂
LINUX Users, we have a group!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=23

It may (I doubt it) void the warranty , but it would be hard to prove that what did it.
If warranties were an issue with over clocking failure issues, I imagine they would prevent it all together or make it harder to do.

Ive tested msi afterbuner version 2.2.2 with my G75, seems to work fine.
Only adjusted core an memory frequencies.

Tested mine upto 15% extra on the core and 10% on the memory for heat an stability confirmation (more of a diagnostic check).
It ran flawless with acceptable temps of low 80's c and nice performance increase .
It had no issues at those overclocks so I believe it will be fine at default where I'll most likely leave

I will use afterburner occasionally for temp ,fps an usage monitoring , I have no need to overclock mine

Torr

As per ASUS warranty terms:

"This ASUS warranty does not include failure caused by improper installation, operation, cleaning or maintenance, accident, damage, misuse, abuse, non- ASUS modifications to the product, any software programs, normal wear and tear or any other event, act, default or omission outside ASUS’ control."

or

"The warranty will not apply to or be valid under conditions including but not limited to the following:

a) The serial number of the ASUS product, components or accessories has been altered, cancelled, removed, or otherwise not valid as identified by ASUS;
b) The product has been tampered with, repaired and/or modified by non-authorized personnel;
c) The product warranty seals have been broken or altered;
d) There is damage caused by natural disaster, intentional or unintentional misuse, abuse, neglect, acts of war, improper maintenance, or use under abnormal conditions;
e) There is damage caused by accidental drops, spills, fire, or power surges.
f) There is damage from improper installation, improper connection, or use of parts and/or components not manufactured or sold by ASUS;
g) There is damage from use outside of the operation or storage parameters or environment detailed in the User's Manual or reasonably acceptable for similar product usage models deemed industry standard best practices;
h) There is damage to or loss of any program, data or removable storage media, or if there are costs from recovering any program or data;
i) There is damage from third party software or from virus(es);
j) There is software loss or data loss that may occur during repair or replacement.
k) Support and costs involved to install or configure the product for any third party software application or hardware device, or network/wireless configuration.
l) Due to technology limitations, some devices (e.g. DVD ROM and software player may not play certain titles if applicable to your product) may be limited or not compatible with the ASUS product. These limitations are common to defined standards within the hardware industry and are not specific to your ASUS product.
m) You have failed to follow all return materials authorization (“RMA”) instructions provided to you by ASUS."

Linky here: http://service.asus.com/Warranty.aspx

If the tech who handles your RMA is doing their job properly they will be able to tell quite easily that your laptop was killed via overclocking.

Torr785 wrote:
It may (I doubt it) void the warranty , but it would be hard to prove that what did it.
If warranties were an issue with over clocking failure issues, I imagine they would prevent it all together or make it harder to do.

Ive tested msi afterbuner version 2.2.2 with my G75, seems to work fine.
Only adjusted core an memory frequencies.

Tested mine upto 15% extra on the core and 10% on the memory for heat an stability confirmation (more of a diagnostic check).
It ran flawless with acceptable temps of low 80's c and nice performance increase .
It had no issues at those overclocks so I believe it will be fine at default where I'll most likely leave

I will use afterburner occasionally for temp ,fps an usage monitoring , I have no need to overclock mine

Torr
USA ASUS Reseller
http://www.neteffectspc.com

Just over clock it, ASUS knows what's up. I've been overclocking crap for a long time now and have yet to have a company decline an RMA...even Intel when I cooked a i7 920 by pushing to much cVore going for a suicide bench. Not to mention, a program like MSI Afterburner is going to let you do anything so crazy that you'll blow something up.
Laptop - ASUS G751 | 4710 | 24GB RAM | 980M 4GB | Samsung 256GB PCIe SSD | Matte 1920X1080 IPS | Win 10 64
Work - HP 640Z | 6 Core 1650v4 @ 4.0 | 128GB RAM | GTX 1080 | Intel 512GB PCI-E SSD | 7680X1200 (4 24" IPS Displays)
Perifs - Logitech G502 + G933 | Razer Blackwidow Chroma | Beyerdynamic DT 1770 250 oHm | Schiit Lyr and Bifrost | Everki Black Beacon
My Portfolio Site - www.amorton.com

NO asus gpu tweak support asus laptop
But easily become unstable
after o'c too high

jodes29 wrote:

GPU Tweak does not officially support notebook GPUs sorry. You can overclock it with software - people have - but there's a voltage limit/no voltage options due to the way the card inside is designed (as is the case with 95% of mobile GPUs)

c_man
Level 11
If you use a normal OC sofware that has limits and protections are not bypassed, you will be fine. Keep an eye on temps and choose something decent, don't push it.

It will not void the warranty more than running games all day long 'till GPU dies.

There is 3rd party software that changes stuff if you mess the vBIOS. That will void warranty most likely.