cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recovery Help!

__11364___926__
Level 8
So I thought I'd setup my G75VW-BBK5 with a windows/linux dual boot. However, when I was going through the linux install I carelessly wiped the entire drive instead of installing onto the other partition. Does anyone have a copy of a recovery CD in ISO format that I could get a copy of? I have tired running Hirens Boot CD as well as a couple of other partition recovery software and haven't haven't had any luck. Thanks in advance!

ASUS G75VW-BBK5
CPU: i7-3610QM 2.30/3.30 GHz. Ivy Bridge
Memory: 24 GB Corsair Vengeance PC1666 DDR3
HDD: 1x 1TB HDD 5400RPM
Graphics: GeForce GTX 660M 2GB
Screen: 17.3' Matte Full HD LED Screen
9 REPLIES 9

john_from_ohio
Level 11
Are you still within Best Buy 30 day return/exchange period? If so exchange it ...

Follow my tips "what to do first" next time around and get yourself an updated asus recovery utility and a set of recovery DVDs.

When I burned recovery disks it took 4 DVD+Rs. Even if someone has an ISO out there, it would take some great effort to transfer it over the internet (it'd probably need a torrent).

I know with my internet it would take days (maybe even weeks) to transfer something that big.

The fact that Best Buy removes the installation disks from the boxes is quite suspect. I wish I would have been informed of this before I had purchased mine there as well.

You could download an .ISO of Windows from Microsoft, thanks to dstrakele for that suggestion. As long as you have your own product key you are good. There is no need to return your unit. 🙂

Remember, you are buying the key when you purchase a version of Windows that comes pre-loaded with a machine.
G75VW-BBK5
i7
8 GB
660m

UltimaRage wrote:
The fact that Best Buy removes the installation disks from the boxes is quite suspect.

There are no install disks included ... what kind of conspiracy theory are you on? You can buy a set from asus if you want to ... but it does not matter where you buy it from.

You use the Asus recovery utility to make recovery DVDs.

It is a known fact that Best Buy removes installation disks from the G75 units before they are sold on the floor.

Please, educate yourself before choosing to make unfounded, derogatory comments towards others. I never claimed this was the situation with the same unit bought at other retailers. It is something Best Buy does for some reason.
G75VW-BBK5
i7
8 GB
660m

UltimaRage wrote:
It is a known fact that Best Buy removes installation disks from the G75 units before they are sold on the floor.

Please, educate yourself before choosing to make unfounded, derogatory comments towards others. I never claimed this was the situation with the same unit bought at other retailers. It is something Best Buy does for some reason.

Howdy,

Neighborhood ASUS re-seller here

None of the US SKU's of the G75/G55 come with Recovery media. They do come with a driver DVD.

😮
USA ASUS Reseller
http://www.neteffectspc.com

UltimaRage wrote:

Not sure which BestBuy you bought it from but those are some pretty shady employees at yours. The last two computers I purchased from BestBuy were factory sealed (this G75 included). My G75 came with an ASUS slip in the box pocket that held the warranty card and what I expect would be a driver/recovery disk indicating that the laptop does not ship with recovery or driver DVDs and that I would need to use the AI Recovery utility to burn a recovery set on my own. Everything seems pretty legit with no tampering or indication that Best Buy removed anything.

I know BestBuy sometimes takes laptops and pre-loads them with some software and other bloatware and tries to upsell them, but those always have a yellow BestBuy branded sticker on the box to indicate that they've been "modified" by BestBuy. Could it be that what you are referring to is that practice?
G75VW-BBK5 (Stock configuration with added Crucial M4 256GB SATA SSD as OS boot drive)

Need to know how to restore your G75 to it's factory-like condition? Go to my step-by-step guide:
Step-by-Step: Using ASUS Recovery DVDs to Restore G75

Want to download the latest drivers and utilities for your G75/G55? Go to this thread:
Downloading New Drivers/Utilities for G75/G55

UltimaRage wrote:

Were the same Best Buy employees also hiding by a grassy knoll in texas many decades ago?

Dang ... the cartons the laptops are sold in only appear to be factory sealed?

Wow ... these Best Buy employees are really tricky!

Aside from all the chat about Best Buy sales practice, I was able to exchange the laptop at the local Best Buy. I appreciate those that offered advice and that offered to help. I'm just now finishing up the creation of my backup CD's now. Thanks everyone. 😄
ASUS G75VW-BBK5
CPU: i7-3610QM 2.30/3.30 GHz. Ivy Bridge
Memory: 24 GB Corsair Vengeance PC1666 DDR3
HDD: 1x 1TB HDD 5400RPM
Graphics: GeForce GTX 660M 2GB
Screen: 17.3' Matte Full HD LED Screen