cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Poor Performance due to Overheating?

thatqcguy
Level 7
Hi guys! I have happily owned an Asus G74SX for almost a year now, and if you ever owned one, you know it's a hot machine!

But for the last month or so, the temps really have gotten hotter than usual, GPU temp is Idle at about 65 degrees and rises at about 96 degrees when under the slightest load, and my framerate gets a HUGE drop. With a machine such as this, It's not normal to be forced to play games at 1280x1024 and everything at low to avoid lag, games which I played fine at 1920x1080 with everything to the max before, such as NFS Hot Pursuit.

My question is, I think this poor performance is due to the high temp the comp reaches, but I'm not certain about that, if you could confirm my suspicions, or put me on the right track as with what is wrong with my computer, I would appreciate it, and if you could tell me how to solve said problem it would be great! I have read about repasting my laptop on a thread here, but i'm not sure if that's the way to go.

Regards,
Thatqcguy
3 REPLIES 3

dstrakele
Level 14
DPC Latency robs systems of performance. If you have an Atheros WiFi card, the Atheros drivers prior to version 9.2.1.432 had bad DPC Latency that caused numerous performance problems on G74SX systems. I recommend version 9.2.1.470, which can be obtained from a link here: http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?5224-Drivers-Apps-and-How-to-s&country=&status=

Still consider running DPC Latency Checker. There may be other drivers on your system contributing to DPC Latency.

Consider using ThrottleStop to prevent CPU Throttling on your system.

The video driver version is important for game performance. Consider posting in the game-specific forums for specific performance tips regarding video driver version and configuration for the games you enjoy. Make sure you've applied the latest updates for your games.

That said, you can't ignore your current thermal issue. Make sure you've done your best to blow out fan intakes and exhausts with compressed gas. But also realize that repasting is common maintenance for aging gaming systems.
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

n3tninja
Level 9
If you're still on warranty, just ask them to do a clean up of the fans and such @ the ASUS-service centre.
Asus G53sw-A1
Intel i7 2630qm
Memory 8 GB
Nvidia GeForce GTX 460m 1.5 GB
Windows 7 Premium
1 TB HDD @ 7200 rpm
4x Blu-Ray
Razer Mamba, Razer Abysus, Rog Gaming Mouse.

FPS GAMER.

Agreed with everything dstrakele said. What I found surprising was how much dust I was able to blow out using compressed air after only a couple of months. I also use a shop vac at the fan exhausts to make sure I get as much as possible out.

Regarding the wireless card, I still had a few issues even with the updated drivers, so I chose to go with an Intel n-6300, about $29 from newegg.

One other item I would check is what programs are running in the background. Check your task manager for cpu usage and what programs "might" be utilizing more cpu cycles than average. Make sure an AV program isn't trying to scan while you're gaming - just a suggestion for trouble shooting purposes.
G74SX-NH71 / 2670QM / 560m / 12Gb ram / intel wireless - 6300n / 500Gb seagate momentusXT + WD 500Gb