cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I put windows 8 on mine.

Budco2000
Level 7
I'm an android user and never liked the windows phone because of the square tiles. I liked my own home screen on android because of animated widgets. But on my laptop I got to admit I'm not hating it. I actually quite like it. I have a double SSD Drive System thing going. With window on one drive, and everything else on another. All pictures, movies, music, backups of all my software and then the installed programs themselves. I always have everything right there ready to go. I took the factory slow ass POS hard drive, wiped it and deleted the partitions. (Make sure u burn DVDs of your recovery image) and i downloaded the windows 8 ISO, opened the ISO and cyber link pops up, then I burned it. Took both hard drives out and only put in the one I am getting ready to install windows too. After the DVD is done just reboot with the hard drive you want to you, and install windows 8 and see if you like it. If you copy over windows 7 with your existing drive, you can't go back. You can't use Ai recovery or windows 7 recovery. So you'll need your DVDs to go back to out of box state. On any hard drive.

I pretty much got it the way I like it, all my programs are installed, all my mail settings are set, All my window settings are set. I have no problems playing any of my Games, had no problem installing any of the Asus drivers. after playing with it for a couple hours a day I go back to windows 7 with my other hard drives. windows 8 is a little buggy but could be used as a daily OS.

I wouldn't install over windows 7, I would always start with a fresh copy
27 REPLIES 27

MaXimus711
Level 10
congratulations! Would you like a cookie as well for your accomplishment?!

Windows 8 is the worst OS on the planet! An OS for tablet PCs on a computer! No thank you!

MaXimus711 wrote:
congratulations!

Hey for some people just trying any kind of change on a laptop/pc is a big leap of genius ... it is all relative right?

I for one may be willing to eventually try Win 8 as long as I can get my old start button functionality back ... "completely".

There are some hacks/workarounds right now for Win 8 to do that but not sure how stable that stuff is ... some 3rd party apps will be out soon enough if microsoft really leaves that option out of the final build ... still hard for me to imagine though!

I have used Windows 8, and on the tablet, I think it will be a hit. On the regular laptop/desktop, it will be a total disaster unless they give us the Start Button back. Using the Metro UI with a mouse is an exercise in frustration. Especially when you get a huge number of utilites installed with something like Visual Studio. In the Start Menu, they are organized, in Metro, they clutter everything.

Still, let me offer @Budco my congratulations as well. Also, if you have a nice big USB flash drive (4 GB+), you can install from that instead of burning a DVD, but that is just me. Enjoy!
I am disturbed because I cannot break my system...found out there were others trying to cope! We have a support group on here, if your system will not break, please join!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=16
We now have 178 people whose systems will not break! Yippee! 🙂
LINUX Users, we have a group!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=23

My mouse scroll wheel scrolled metro with ease. Page to page actually, I found it freshing after 17 years of the same boring interface.

Just sharing my thoughts. I'm not afraid to try something new. It's different and it works quite well.

Budco2000 wrote:
what a tool, bet he dont have any friends. Because this douche doesn't like it, and probably never tried it , means nobody will like it. Duh. Always an ignorant one in the bunch lol.

I did install it and found it horrible and not intuitive.

I formatted my computer after 10 mins of using that POS OS

MaXimus711 wrote:
I did install it and found it horrible and not intuitive.

I formatted my computer after 10 mins of using that POS OS

That isn't enough time to do anything or learn anything about it.

Don't hate it just because it is different than the same tired scheme from Microsoft..
G75VW-BBK5
i7
8 GB
660m

Liquidus wrote:
A full 10 minutes huh? Damn, that totally backs up your intelligent, well-supported argument on why Windows 8 is horrible. You win.

Guess I better switch of to IOSX while I'm at it.

What about this: Is it just me or does Windows 8 SUCK?

That poll shows how most people think......intelligent IT people......

and what about this:

Let's not resort to flaming it will surely destroy the reputation that the ROG forum has. Many new visitors stay because we encourage them, and we respectfully discuss issues on which we do not readily agree. The whole point of the forum is to discuss the issue in a rational way.
I am disturbed because I cannot break my system...found out there were others trying to cope! We have a support group on here, if your system will not break, please join!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=16
We now have 178 people whose systems will not break! Yippee! 🙂
LINUX Users, we have a group!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=23