cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A question for ASUS - keyboard backlight

ScottinSoCal
Level 7
My keyboard backlight is working exactly as designed, this question is about the design decisions.

The backlight comes on when the computer is powered up, but then it's turned off by a setting in the BIOS, until I've logged in and the utility to control the backlight starts up. But the light is off when I'm trying to enter the password to log on. In a dark room, that's more than a little bit of an inconvenience.

Why not just turn it on and leave it on, then allow the utility to adjust the brightness? Is it possible this might be changed in a future BIOS update?
6 REPLIES 6

dstrakele
Level 14
See if creating a Scheduled Task to execute HControl.exe at Windows Startup as discussed in http://forum.notebookreview.com/asus-gaming-notebook-forum/513264-keyboard-light-fix-gary-key-10.htm... does the trick for you...
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

That worked, thank you very much!

I'd still like to have been at the design review meeting when the guy said "I know, let's have the BIOS disable the keyboard light, and then we can make a utility that loads at logon to turn it back on." I would have jumped in before someone else said "Hey, that's a good idea." and told them why it wasn't a good idea.

I love ASUS hardware, and I'm still very happy with this laptop, but some of the design decisions they make are just questionable.

ScottinSoCal wrote:
I'd still like to have been at the design review meeting when the guy said "I know, let's have the BIOS disable the keyboard light, and then we can make a utility that loads at logon to turn it back on." I would have jumped in before someone else said "Hey, that's a good idea." and told them why it wasn't a good idea.

I've experienced the same frustration with entering a password. It's good that there's a workaround but I've also wondered what the logic behind that decision was. 😄
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

Gorman
Level 12
Why is a backlight software dependant at all...

My guess is that it is software dependent so that users can turn it off. It is supported under LINUX now, which is good. Still, I wish ASUS had done it in hardware so that it would not depend on good drivers to turn it on and off. Just make a click-cycle system:
off->low->medium->high->off->...

Just my $0.02
I am disturbed because I cannot break my system...found out there were others trying to cope! We have a support group on here, if your system will not break, please join!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=16
We now have 178 people whose systems will not break! Yippee! 🙂
LINUX Users, we have a group!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=23

dstrakele
Level 14
I'd like to give 'em the benefit of the doubt and say it was cost, or to keep the number of buttons to a minimum for a 'clean' look, but it probably was just using the same logic that removed the NumLock key from the G74SX...
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT