cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bought new Asus G53SX from best buy, bettery life less only 1 hour is that normal?

mikezzz2012
Level 7
Hello everybody! My names Michael and I'm new here. I bought an Asus g53sx last week from best buy in Canada its not refurbished its new. Ive done some research and they said the average battery life of the Asusg53sx is 1.5 hours. Now the problem is I only get 1 hour or less , and Im not even gaming. Im just on the internet , loggin in facebook, yahoo mail, reading articles and playing some music on the window media player using my headphones plugged in. Is that battery life normal? I feel like Im not getting the most of it. Also, is it normal to feel some heat on the keyboard? I would really appreciate anybody who can share their thoughts, thanks!
13 REPLIES 13

mikezzz2012
Level 7
P.S I transferred my own thread to here since its an old ROG,peace!

Hello everybody! My names Michael and I'm new here. I bought an Asus g53sx last week from best buy in Canada its not refurbished its new. Ive done some research and they said the average battery life of the Asusg53sx is 1.5 hours. Now the problem is I only get 1 hour or less , and Im not even gaming. Im just on the internet , loggin in facebook, yahoo mail, reading articles and playing some music on the window media player using my headphones plugged in. Is that battery life normal? I feel like Im not getting the most of it. Also, is it normal to feel some heat on the keyboard? I would really appreciate anybody who can share their thoughts, thanks!

To add, my right button on the touchpad seems kind of hard to press compared to the left button on the touchpad but it seems functional ,is that normal? Please help guys,this is my first laptop

are you running max performance or? try to set it on lower performance, but you aint gonna get more out of the battery then max 2 hours, g series are desktop replacement and are ment to have the power supply 24/7 connected.

Hello mikezzz2012,

Battery life is one of those tricky subjects because there are numerous factors that can affect it. Probably the single largest consumer of battery power on a laptop would be the display. If the display brightness is at 100%, that will have a big impact on your battery life compared to if it were at say 50%.

If you could give us a little more information about things such as the display brightness, is the music you mention listening to via a CD in the optical drive, things of that general nature, it would be helpful in determining whether or not you are getting acceptable battery life or not.

Hi guys, thanks for replying. For more information,I use High performance and set the brightness level lowest (as always since Im not a fan of to much brightness) and it I actually reached 1 hour and 40 mins on usual internet and watching videos, music etc, but no gaming at all. I havent tried it on gaming , but Im guessing it will drain faster? Can someone tell me whats the average battery life when gaming? Also , regarding the keyboard getting warm, is it still normal if it gets kind of warm even though I didnt attach the battery , only plugged it with the charger/adapter?

PS, I dont usually play games with the battery , but this is just for testing purposes to see if my laptop is running fine. 😃

Gorman
Level 12
Average battery life = with everything turned off; minimum brightness, wifi turned off, etc. It's not a real-world test really.

My G53jw has similar if not worse battery life. So I don't use battery at all, what is the point of battery, just makes the computer hotter and acts like a low-quality UPS...

Zygomorphic
Level 17
My left and right touchpad buttons feel different, so no worries there. Try pushing the little speedometer button in the top left corner of the keyboard to determine which power-profile you are using. Battery Saver will give you pretty good battery life = 3.5 hours with WiFi off. On this machine, turning the brightness all the way down and turning off WiFi make the biggest difference.

A little warmth on the keyboard simply indicates that the system is running hard internally, which is why your battery life is so bad. Apart from that, I cannot tell you why your battery life is so much worse than mine. I have gotten 3 hours of light CAD out of mine on battery saver with WiFi off and the screen brightness all the way down. Plenty of battery for me! I always carry the power brick. 🙂
I am disturbed because I cannot break my system...found out there were others trying to cope! We have a support group on here, if your system will not break, please join!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=16
We now have 178 people whose systems will not break! Yippee! 🙂
LINUX Users, we have a group!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=23

Hi guys, thanks for replying. For more information,I use High performance and set the brightness level lowest (as always since Im not a fan of to much brightness) and it I actually reached 1 hour and 40 mins on usual internet and watching videos, music etc, but no gaming at all. I havent tried it on gaming , but Im guessing it will drain faster? Can someone tell me whats the average battery life when gaming? Also , regarding the keyboard getting warm, is it still normal if it gets kind of warm even though I didnt attach the battery , only plugged it with the charger/adapter?

PS, I dont usually play games with the battery , but this is just for testing purposes to see if my laptop is running fine. 😃

Don't use HIGH PERFORMANCE on Battery. That's your problem right there.
Use BATTERY SAVER.
And never game on Battery.
Asus Z170X + Asus GeFroce GTX Turbo 1070 +... all kinds of Asus goodies. #Fanboi

xeromist
Threads merged. If you need a mod to move it you can ask. We don't bite much. 🙂
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…