Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    New ROGer Array

Optical Connection

First time poster here. Been following this site since purchasing the Phoebus card. So was the Optical connection issue even addressed before this beta driver was released? It's been mentioned a number of times but wasn't fixed with the latest revision of the driver. When will this be resolved? I'm running the Logitech Z-5000 speakers using optical but don't have the option to change how many speakers I'm using other than 2 as the speaker icon is greyed out. Can't even change the speaker setting in Windows 7 speaker settings.

Also I've tried using the 3.5mm jacks and I get a bad buzzing out of the rears which is constant no matter what I'm doing (Games and Movies).

Hope the optical issue is resolved soon as I am enjoying the sound from this card even in stereo.

Tech Marketing Manager HQ Array Raja@ASUS's Avatar

There are more updates planned. The issue is that many users don't bother filling out a bug report form and mailing it in, and then expect things to be miraculously patched for them. If you want something changed or patched, email in the request.

ROG Member Array

Don't use optical! The Z-5500 DAC is worse than warm beer. Use analog. Then go into FlexBass set 120hz Crossover and all speakers to large. Then you will see why you paid for this beast of a soundcard. As for your buzzing I have no issues on either of my sets of however I found I had to put my rear in what is the surround back (used in 7.1) I'd try this.

On a more ontopic note. Thank you Raja. I can confidently say this is now amazing and made the upgrade from my Xonar D2X well worthit. Hope they pay you well there good sir

New ROGer Array

Quote Originally Posted by Chickenz View Post
    Don't use optical! The Z-5500 DAC is worse than warm beer. Use analog. Then go into FlexBass set 120hz Crossover and all speakers to large. Then you will see why you paid for this beast of a soundcard. As for your buzzing I have no issues on either of my sets of however I found I had to put my rear in what is the surround back (used in 7.1) I'd try this.

On a more ontopic note. Thank you Raja. I can confidently say this is now amazing and made the upgrade from my Xonar D2X well worthit. Hope they pay you well there good sir
    I'm not using the Z5500 I'm using the older Z5000 but I've changed the speakers to Legend-Kangas (Australian speaker) and for rears M&K Speakers (unknown model) but cost $1500 a pair so the speakers are all excellent. Will try the 3.5mm jacks that came with the Logitechs again and apply the settings you have posted.

Regarding the speaker config by setting speakers to large I'm effectively sending bass to the mains as well as the sub? Are you using a subwoofer in your setup?

I always appreciate the efforts of support for products, but not getting a simple thing like Optical to work with an OS like Windows 7 (or older OS) is a bit disappointing. I would hope there was testing performed before Asus release a soundcard for all connection types (Being only 2) before a public release. I would not be alone in this thinking regardless off bug reports being sent, but I do understand where Raja is coming from.
    Last edited by Simonbrown10; 07-12-2012 at 07:38 AM.

ROG Member Array

Haha so other Aussies do exist! I'm in QLD . I can't find info on your speakers exactly. Sorry I see alott of people call the 5500's 5000's. However to explain the crossover frequency. I do have a sub mine are a fully stock setup. On my Z5500's the crossover is handled by the base. On analog it then takes all frequencies below 120hz and passes them to the sub. So the reason I set the crossover is to channel the bass to all speakers so the built in crossover accurately picks it up and sends it across. I believe it would be the same with yours based on what little info I could find. But perhaps you know yourself or can find out. But yeah thought I'd explain the logic. Certainly would be a terrible idea to try and get the stock 5500 speakers to do below 120hz though haha (mainly below 80) :P

New ROGer Array

Quote Originally Posted by Chickenz View Post
    Haha so other Aussies do exist! I'm in QLD . I can't find info on your speakers exactly. Sorry I see alott of people call the 5500's 5000's. However to explain the crossover frequency. I do have a sub mine are a fully stock setup. On my Z5500's the crossover is handled by the base. On analog it then takes all frequencies below 120hz and passes them to the sub. So the reason I set the crossover is to channel the bass to all speakers so the built in crossover accurately picks it up and sends it across. I believe it would be the same with yours based on what little info I could find. But perhaps you know yourself or can find out. But yeah thought I'd explain the logic. Certainly would be a terrible idea to try and get the stock 5500 speakers to do below 120hz though haha (mainly below 80) :P
    Yep Victoria here. I tried your settings and the sound wasn't to mt liking so I've currently have the sample rate at 96/24 and speakers set to small with flexibass disabled. Ok the buzzing (hard to describe it exactly not a buzz) but it's only audiable when I use 6 ch Direct mode on the Logitechs. I'm only running 4 speakers so cant change setup to 5.1 etc but cant hear it while playing a game like diablo but when nothing is playing I can hear it. If I switch to stereo or stereox2 it's not there.

No idea what is causing it. It's like a low whine sound coming from all 4 speakers.

ROG Member Array

Sounds like cable to be honest... But I'm sure you've check that..

ROG Member Array

forget it, wrong topic

wrong topic, my fault.
    Last edited by jmacguire; 07-14-2012 at 01:26 AM.

ROG Member Array

still got sound looping whit the asus sound card

Tech Marketing Manager HQ Array Raja@ASUS's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sebastiaan View Post
    still got sound looping whit the asus sound card

Then fill out a bug report form and mail it to the address provided, or contact ASUS Support in Belgium and explain the issues in depth to them.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast