cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rumor - Asus ROG Rampage III Gene mATX

ottoyu34
Level 9
ASUS is set to release an enthusiast class motherboard based on an m-ATX design. Despite the small micro-ATX form factor, it is still more than worthy of bearing the ROG (Republic of Gamers) logo. This is possible because the Rampage III Gene, as it is called, boasts the full set of features that currently define an enthusiast platform.

Being based on the X58 chipset, the board supports Intel LGA 1366 CPUs. The Gene uses an eight-phase power design, has six DDR3 memory slots, two SATA 6.0Gbps connectors and six SATA 3.0Gbps ports.

There are two USB 3.0 ports and just as many PCI Express x16 slots, fully prepared for SLI or CrossFireX multi-GPU setups. As for connectivity and I/O, ASUS' product provides FireWire, 7.1 channel audio and Gigabit Ethernet, among other things.

Obviously, being a ROG device, this mainboard has its own overclocking-friendly features, such as on-board Power, Reset and Clear CMOS buttons. Unfortunately, the folks at Trusted Reviews were not able to get any sort of info on when and where this small beast will show up for order, or how much it will drain from one's finances. It is possible that shipments will start sometime in June, like for so many other recent arrivals, at around $250, but is just a rumor.

Reference: http://www.guru3d.com/news/asus-rog-rampage-iii-gene-on-microatx/
2 REPLIES 2

ottoyu34
Level 9

Retired
Not applicable
There are two USB 3.0 ports and just as many PCI Express x16 slots, fully prepared for SLI or CrossFireX multi-GPU setups. As for connectivity and I/O, ASUS' product provides FireWire, 7.1 channel audio and Gigabit Ethernet, among other things.

...But no eSATA port?!? While FireWire is a dying technology, I find this choice really weird from ASUS (dropping the eSATA port instead of the FireWire port)... Myself I like to use an external HDD via an eSATA port instead of USB (that way the full SATA advantages over PATA can be used for an external drive), which is of course much more efficient, nearing USB 3.0. Weird...