cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G75VW-BBK5 SSD upgrade help.

dmoon723
Level 8
I know there are guides everywhere, but I'm still slightly confused, and feel the need to have my hand held through this process. I'm still very new to the PC world, so bear with me.

I'm getting a Crucial M4 128gb SSD in the mail later this week, and plan to make it the primary drive for my BBK5 (1TB).

So far, I have:
-Removed Asus Live Update Utility
-Updated to the latest AI Recovery
-Removed several pre-loaded apps, and installed several others
-Made myself a set of recovery DVDs

...in that order.

Can someone give me a list of steps to do a clean factory install on my new SSD, and make my HDD a secondary? I don't care if I lose programs, I can re-download them. The DVDs I burned through AI Recovery make this possible, correct?

Thank you.
9 REPLIES 9

xXx
Level 10
Just use Arconis and clone the disc. I have a G74SX and cloned my drive to a cosair GT 240 and it worked fine. No hassel , no fuss.
4 GHz 4790K i7@ 4.6GHz (1.18v) , 16GB DDR3 1866 MHz Dominator GT , Asus Maximus VI Formula Motherboard , Cosair GT 240 GB ( Boot )
Obsidian Series 650D Mid-Tower Case , Asus GTX 680, LG Blu -Ray combo , Cosair HX 1000 PSU , Custom water loop.( EK and Rasa )

While cloning does work for SSD's (as with all drives) that is a practice you do not want to do with 1st time OS installs on an SSD (unless it's from one SSD cloned to another SSD). Reason being you will not get the best read/write speeds possible from your SSD.

With SSD's windows 7 detects the drive setting (IDE vs AHCI) and installs drivers for optimal speed. However, beyond IDE vs AHCI there is also frequently reported secondary issues of non-optimal speed doing a clone migration vs fresh install. If you simply clone over your HDD install into your new SSD you will not be getting the maximum speed out of your drive more than likely. It is better to "give in" the 1st go around and do a full windows install on your your new SSD. Then do your clone backup afterwards for future recovery. As a side note, there is a way to tweak the registry to circumvent a fresh windows install to the SSD to eek out more SDD performance after a clone migration, but these are never as clean or as effective as just doing the full install. Not to mention SSD's are all about speed so a fresh install of windows is not a long process ...it's so quick it's not worth being lazy about the 1st time.

The best technique for installing an SSD on the laptop is as follows. (If you are going to do a 100% fresh install non recovery method... which I highly recommend if you are serious)

-Keep your current HDD in place install the SSD to the empty slot.
Here is a video of how to get to your drive bay

-Boot up into your current Windows 7 install.

-Go into administrative tools in windows > Computer management >> disk management

-You should see the new SSD present... create a volume on it and format it... set it to "active partition" This means it's the primary boot up partition from this point forward.

-This next step do at your own risk, but it's wise to do this now never later if you're going to do it at all. That is... to update the SSD's firmware... which I am sure you know always runs a risk of bricking the item you are updating. I have yet to brick an SSD due to firmware updates (I have done it maybe 4 times now across laptop's and PC's), but things happen. The updates are occasionally worth it to eek out more speed or get smoother performance on the drive. You really shouldn't do firmware updates once you install your OS to the the SSD this can cause corruption issues not to mention if it bricks you are in an even worse position of data loss.

- Obviously before you reboot get all the things you need for fresh install
Get all the latest drivers downloaded from ASUS for g75 located here
http://support.asus.com/download.aspx?SLanguage=en&p=3&s=388&m=G75VW&os=&hashedid=gkyI9iViQxXxueTd

-Get a fresh copy of Win7 from Microsoft's website and use the CD key located on bottom of your laptop to register.
Microsoft explains the process on their help site.
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-windows_install/need-windows-7-home-premi...
As odd as it may seem.. yes this is legit .. right from the lips of MS on their site.. check the link above.

-I recommend you burn the iso to disc and avoid mounting it to a bootable thumb drive. You can run into issues with the thumb drive not booting up properly and giving you corrupted installs of windows (its a common.. but freak occurrence... related to system bios boot order... after windows is installing is loses it's location and can't be found even if you point to it)... avoid the drama and burn to disc

-IMPORTANT: Before you get started with window 7 install check your system bios and verify your drives are set for AHCI (it should be by default on the G75 .. at least it was on mine... but it's important to verify this before you install windows

-Use windows 7 during early steps to decide if you want to delete the original HDD partition and it's default recovery space and possibly split the partition up into multiple drives (if that is what you want) I did this since I will not be using ASUS recovery tools since I knew I was doing it all from scratch myself and using Acronis afterwards for backup utility.

-Select the SSD as your OS installation location and let her rip... the rest of the driver updates after you get into windows I am sure if second nature for you.
PC Setup:
Battlestation Setup:

All you have to do is install windows from the discs you burned. They are full installation discs and don't require the recovery partition. I installed a Crucial M4 in me G75 and the discs worked perfectly.

(Though it is possible it DID require the recovery partition but the laptop saw it on the other HDD that came with the laptop)

and go into the bios and make sure the ssd is the primary drive to boot
Asus G75VW-BBK , 24GB , 2x256GB SSD , everything else stock

The SSD should be at my doorstep when I get home from work. So I'll likely do this surgery tonight or in the morning. From all the info I've gathered in this thread, lemme get a few things straight:

I need to power down, and remove my factory 1TB drive, and replace it with the SSD. Then I need to power up while holding ESC. Follow the steps, putting in each DVD when prompted. I now have a bootable SSD with a fresh, clean Windows 7 install?

That leaves the original HDD. Am I safe to plug it back in, format it, and use it as storage? Also, I'm a little confused about the W7 image. What's it for? And at what point in this process do I need it?

Sorry for the questions. This is all pretty new to me.

If you have the DVDs, you do not need the image. Yes, it is safe to format and use as storage in the second HDD slot. In fact, if you go into the BIOS, you can simply install the SSD to the second slot and set that to be the first boot choice. Then you do not even need to remove the other drive!
I am disturbed because I cannot break my system...found out there were others trying to cope! We have a support group on here, if your system will not break, please join!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=16
We now have 178 people whose systems will not break! Yippee! 🙂
LINUX Users, we have a group!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=23

john_from_ohio
Level 11
dmoon723 wrote:

Can someone give me a list of steps to do a clean factory install on my new SSD, and make my HDD a secondary? I don't care if I lose programs, I can re-download them.[\QUOTE]

Yup the recovery DVDs will work just fine.

Follow Cecils guide here ( Step-by-Step-Using-ASUS-Recovery-DVDs-to-Restore-G75

You start by pulling out your current drive and putting in the SSD ( ONLY ) and following Cecils guide on how to recover it.

Then after you get all the way done with that process you can delete the recovery partition on the SSD ( which gets newly created ) and expand your OS partition. I use MiniTool Partition Wizard for stuff like that.

Don't forget as soon as you finish recovering SSD from the recovery disks you immediately have to uninstall the Asus live update ( because it is back!! ) and do other cleanup/removal of stuff you do not want.

You could then use MiniTool to create a bootable CD and put back in your factory drive and then ( booting from minitool ) delete all the partitions on your factory drive and start using it as a data drive.

dmoon723
Level 8
Thanks for the help, everybody. I'm typing this with a SSD underneath my finger tips. Windows index went from 5.9 to 7.3 🙂

eugene_nelson
Level 7
Is there a way to just transfer my os and programs to the ssd without any complications and then save my files on the hdd? Really need the help here as I did not really want to reinstal windows.
G75VW-BBK5