cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Factory Default Backup is Deleted

ChoaticRobotic
Level 7
So I got my G75 this week from XoticPC and I love it, but I have two problems.

The sub-woofer issue, no biggie, I prefer headphones.

My other problem is more troublesome. When I try to use AI Recovey Utility it says "The factory default backup is deleted. You cannot use AI Recovery to create a backup of the factory default settings." Now I would have tried a F9 factory restore, but when I ordered the laptop I got a Screen Calibration Service and I don't want to lose it.

Do I still have the factory default backup and I'm just getting an error?
If the factory default backup is gone, would F9 work?
Is there a way to save the calibration profile to external storage so i could load it later?

ps. There is some discussion of this in another thread
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?4402-Backup-Options-on-G74sx-!!&
9 REPLIES 9

Cecil_2099
Level 11
You can still try to use the F9 operation at startup to see if it even works. Just cancel out when it prompts you to continue with reformatting. If the F9 operation doesn't work, then it looks like XoticPC may have deleted your recovery partition?

If that's the case, then just use Windows's system backup utility to make your own backup onto an external hard drive and keep that safe. That way you get to keep all the settings and software you currently have loaded on your system. The System Restore DVDs won't include the screen calibration software XoticPC loads onto it anyway unless they specifically modify the ASUS factory recovery partition.
G75VW-BBK5 (Stock configuration with added Crucial M4 256GB SATA SSD as OS boot drive)

Need to know how to restore your G75 to it's factory-like condition? Go to my step-by-step guide:
Step-by-Step: Using ASUS Recovery DVDs to Restore G75

Want to download the latest drivers and utilities for your G75/G55? Go to this thread:
Downloading New Drivers/Utilities for G75/G55

just move its files to a thumb drive? (flash drive, USB) A 2.0 USB will fit into your 3.0 port. (just 7x slower)
ASUS G75VW-DS72
LG55LX6500 Display
A Green Weed to computing

Cecil_2099 wrote:
You can still try to use the F9 operation at startup to see if it even works. Just cancel out when it prompts you to continue with reformatting. If the F9 operation doesn't work, then it looks like XoticPC may have deleted your recovery partition?

If that's the case, then just use Windows's system backup utility to make your own backup onto an external hard drive and keep that safe. That way you get to keep all the settings and software you currently have loaded on your system. The System Restore DVDs won't include the screen calibration software XoticPC loads onto it anyway unless they specifically modify the ASUS factory recovery partition.

Thanks for the advice. Can I use system image created from the backup utility to recover a SSD i want to add.

ChoaticRobotic wrote:
Can I use system image created from the backup utility to recover a SSD i want to add.

Not sure if the windows system image will do that. I've read differing accounts but never tried it out myself. Hopefully someone can provide an answer.
G75VW-BBK5 (Stock configuration with added Crucial M4 256GB SATA SSD as OS boot drive)

Need to know how to restore your G75 to it's factory-like condition? Go to my step-by-step guide:

Want to download the latest drivers and utilities for your G75/G55? Go to this thread:

Cecil_2099 wrote:

+rep great advice.

Or, call XoticPC and ask about recovery discs. We include the recovery partition so you don't need to burn your own discs now.

dstrakele
Level 14
Dies Windows Disk Management indicate you have a 25 GB hidden partition in front of your OS partition?
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

dstrakele
Level 14
That's a good way to go for your setup. You don't want to go back to an ASUS Factory Restore at this point.

But do consider @Woots post: http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?18937-G75VW-BBK5-SSD-upgrade-help.&p=129652&viewfull=1#post.... You may want to spend just a little extra time to do a clean Windows 7 install to your new SSD to achieve maximum performance. You can then use Windows Backup & Restore to save THAT Windows System Image.
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

dstrakele wrote:
That's a good way to go for your setup. You don't want to go back to an ASUS Factory Restore at this point.

But do consider @Woots post: http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?18937-G75VW-BBK5-SSD-upgrade-help.&p=129652&viewfull=1#post.... You may want to spend just a little extra time to do a clean Windows 7 install to your new SSD to achieve maximum performance. You can then use Windows Backup & Restore to save THAT Windows System Image.

If ChaoticRobot proceeds with a clean Windows 7 install then s/he is out the screen calibration software and is no better position than if s/he did a factory restore.

ChoaticRobotic
Level 7
I'm fine with doing a clean Windows 7 install, I just don't want lose the calibration.

Does anyone have experience with Spyder3Elite software? (It's the software XoticPC used to calibrate my screen)

I found the file that contains the Color Profile, but it is not being uploaded by windows, it is uploaded by Spyder3 on start up.

According to this: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/change-color-management-settings
I can upload a color profile manually, but it recommends that if it was created by third-party software the third-party software should load it.