cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Xonar Phoebus cause lagging while playing LOL and web flash media

iorizhang20
Level 7
I had my Xonar Phoebus on Amazon, I have test 3days already. the major issue for me is that when I playing League of legends and browsing flash media. First time I though it was game problem by league of legends, but I didnt change any setting in game, before I got this card everything was fine the frame rate is stable at 60fps, since I install this card during the game of league of legends, the small amount of mods was fine, but when the team fight occur my frame rate is droping to 30 which I can't not focusing on the target. the second issue was flash media lagging, when I watching on the website the respond of my action for clicking was lagging also, the media just sudden stop for few second then the media Fast Forward or no respond. basiclly just bring down my pc processing speed.

My PC details

980 intel 6core
12g 1633 memory
580GTX 3GB 2way- SLI

I just wonder when the problem can be fix also consider if I need to do the refund on this product.
9 REPLIES 9

satan4u
Level 7
this is actually an issue with flash not the phoebus now I don't have the phoebus yet (waiting for it to get here)
I do have a creative x-fi and I noticed that if flash crashes or my browser stops responding a few times my FPS will tank afterwards in any game even in CSS and I have 2 gtx 550ti's
you may ask yourself whats causing this I have no clue what the reason behind it is but the only solution I have found is to reset windows and play your games (everything should go back to normal)
however if you play a flash game or use something that uses flash and it crashes or stops responding your back to square one and have to reset again to fix the problem

Silver_Wolf
Level 10
@Satan the problem with resetting the game or restarting the game is that LoL is an online game and leaving in the middle of a match is not only frowned upon by other players but also against the games rules.

@ioriz I am running a Phoebus myself and I haven't seen any of these issues, I am quite sure I have played LoL since I installed it and haven't noticed any lag issues. I also struggle to figure out how the Sound Card can make your game lag unless its the audio lagging. I would be looking into other causes than your sound card as to why your having these issues.

Nvidia graphics card users. Make sure you are not using the latest Forceware beta drivers 304.79 they have lagg problems with flash and sound for may users.

Silver Wolf wrote:
I also struggle to figure out how the Sound Card can make your game lag unless its the audio lagging. I would be looking into other causes than your sound card as to why your having these issues.

I do not know why you struggle as you say to understand this concept. Games like Skyrim have posts on the respective forums stating how bit depth and sample rates need to be changed for optimal performance. It seems logical that toggle options like GX gaming mode would cause lag or DSP processing/interference. It is all about the compatibility brother......;)

Silver Wolf wrote:
@Satan the problem with resetting the game or restarting the game is that LoL is an online game and leaving in the middle of a match is not only frowned upon by other players but also against the games rules.

thats true but on the desktop you can notice a bit of lag with the cursor (if you pay really close attention) which I have grown to know as a time to reset my computer before i load into any games
also another sign is flash starts freezing while watching vids or playing games and starts to stutter when moving the mouse

Silver_Wolf
Level 10
@Lotek I am running those drivers without issue.

@Jmacguire Are you sure about this? Although I am not a regular on every forum nor do I know of every issue out there but I have never come across such a thread. Provided the computer has specs enough to run the game at those performance levels I cannot see a reason for the sound card to affect this. But perhaps I am just looking at it the wrong way.

Yes, I am sure. Users in the Skyrim and BF3 forums talk of best audio bit depth and sample rates to choose before launching the game.

The Phoebus' GX mode is a feature used to enable EAX effects with older games. This causes the Phoebus to intercept the old Direct3D hardware based calls and convert them to OpenAL to restore hardware acceleration.

There are dozens of combinations and settings for Creative's Alchemy program, which does something similar, but the GX mode is always looking to convert something which is not there. Switch it off for new games, you do not need it.

Silver_Wolf
Level 10
@Jmacguire I am aware that they discuss what settings to get the best sound but I have never heard of that lagging the game.

@Satan the only lag I have ever noticed on my desktop is when I use a crappy LCD Monitor with a slow response time. How often do you notice this as there may be some underlying issues you need to resolve?

Silver Wolf wrote:
How often do you notice this as there may be some underlying issues you need to resolve?

I only notice the lag if flash stops responding and resets itself like 5 times
other than that i never get any type of lag