cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G55VW FPS Fluctuates with latest games

J3dTanner
Level 7
Hi Folks,

I don't think I am the only one having Frame Rate issues with G55VW when playing latest games such as BF3, Diablo 3, Walking Dead and other newer games. I've tried to benchmark these and it definitely drops from 60 to 10 for a few seconds then back again (See attached screenshot). This happens all throughout the entire time. I think some call it "Stuttering" or "Rubberbanding". 😞 😞 😞

I don't believe it's just limited to the game itself having issues but also the hardware (NVidia and Asus) manufacturer themselves as well.

I've checked NVidia and it seems they came out with Beta Drivers for the GTX660M but nothing have significantly helped or resolved these performance issues considering this is a "Gaming" rig and Asus even calls it, "Ultimate Gaming Machine".

Calling Asus, any chance you guys can fix this asap? I've paid premium money for this and wondering what you guys gonna do about it? I would have rather invested on a cheaper but decent machine if this is going to be an issue all the time!!

Hope you guys do something about it...
11 REPLIES 11

Myk_SilentShado
Level 15
Are you playing the games with the battery only, or with the power pack connected?

All powered up: plugged into power, high performance settings, high priority, stopped unnecessary processes/services. I've been reinstalling drivers using default from 296.01 to 301.40 to 304.48 and 304.79 with same issue. Now I'm back to the video driver the unit came with...

J3dTanner wrote:
All powered up: plugged into power, high performance settings, high priority, stopped unnecessary processes/services. I've been reinstalling drivers using default from 296.01 to 301.40 to 304.48 and 304.79 with same issue. Now I'm back to the video driver the unit came with...

Ok no worries, just checking. There was a new member a couple days ago who had lag drops when he used just his battery so I had to make sure 🙂 are you doing anything else in the background while also playing any of the games?

Myk SilentShadow wrote:
Ok no worries, just checking. There was a new member a couple days ago who had lag drops when he used just his battery so I had to make sure 🙂 are you doing anything else in the background while also playing any of the games?

My G75 has this problem. It's brand new just got it a week back, originally had a ASUS VX7 (Don't ask me why) which had this exact problem, I called ASUS who told me to return it to the store as DOA (Dead on Arrival) The store then gave me this G75
(3D) laptop which like I said, I am using now.

Are there any possible fixes? Seems to me theres an issue with the "Optimus technology".

I guess I should also mention also I have a problem with the Laptops speakers.

No Mcafee..that's the first thing I removed. Nothing much running in the background every time I run a game either. I do consider myself a technical person but this just baffles me... I should've considered building my own desktop rig instead of this sh!t... 😞

Liquidus
Level 8
Uninstall McCafe

The exact same thing started happening to me and I'm plugged in and don't have McAfee installed. It didn't do this at first but just recently started about a week ago and I haven't done anything different. I've scanned my computer for malware and viruses as well.If anyone can figure out a fix to this problem that would be great! 🙂

Raziel
Level 7
Can't be Optimus as it's not enabled (hardware-wise) on the G laptops. Don't have any such problem, had the laptop (G55VW) for two weeks... I'm using the beta drivers as well. What hard drive does your laptop have (SSD, 7200rpm, 5400rpm) and which (in case of multiple) is the OS and the game on?

Mine's using a 7200 rpm sata drive. What sort of games have you played so far?

Games I have installed and played as well as how they turned out:
1. BF3: can't play it even at low settings; when you start the campaign, it just minimizes and nothing else happens. The only way to get out is to kill the process in task manager.
2. Diablo 3: unplayable even at lowest settings; stutters all the time and at times, hangs.
3. Walking Dead: playable but with stuttering and tearing at certain points of the game when it becomes graphically heavy.
4. StarCraft 2: playable at low to medium settings but stutters from time to time.

Using 296.01 default driver that came with the laptop though I've upgraded to 301.40, 304.48 and 304.79 which were worst; So I've returned back to 296.01. Upgraded to the latest laptop firmware as well v209.