Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

External 3D display on ASUS G74

mx5boi
Level 7
My ASUS G74 has a sticker on it that states:
"nvidia 3DTV PLAY"

So I searched around the nvidia site and found that the ACER GD245 HQ is compatible.

So... I bought an ACER GD245 HQ and an nvidia 3D Glasses Kit

But I canot get it to work.

The Display works as a Display and the Emitter is working but still no 3D.

Everything seem to point to the fact that I 'NEED' to "Make sure you are also using a dual-link DVI cable to connect from the LCD to your GPU. Your LCD manufacturer should have included this cable in the original factory box."

I did get one... but I only have HDMI out on my Laptop so I have nowhere to plug it.

Connecting the laptop from HDMI to Display HDMI or Laptop HDMI to Display DVI results in errors that I have not connected it right.

I cannot select 120 HZ in any display mode/resolution.

If the Laptop supports External 3D then does it not have to output 120HZ via the HDMI?

Have I just wasted $400.00 on a monitor and glasses that will not work on the G74?

If so, what does the sticker "nvidia 3DTV PLAY" on the Laptop mean?
ASUS G74SX
17.3" 1920X1080 Full HD LED Backlight, glossy
2nd Gen Intel® Core™ i7-2630QM Processor 2.2-3.1GHz,32nm (6M Cache, up to 2.90 GHz) 45W
16GB DDR3 1333 Dual-Channel (4G X 4)
nVidia GeForce GTX 560M 3GB GDDR5, DX11
2 x 500 GB Seagate Momentus® XT Solid State Hybrid Drives
Mat****a BD MLT UJ240AFW
8 REPLIES 8

dstrakele
Level 14
Take a look at this thread: http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?12080-Asus-G74SX-gt-External-Monitor-3D. To my very limited understanding, I believe the HDMI 1.4 output of your G74SX limits you to 720p60 or 1080p24 resolutions on an external 3D-capable monitor.

Personally, I think t
the claim of "3DTV PLAY" in this case is the closest thing to False Advertising and (currently - until some regulatory agency steps in) still remain legal...

The way some retailers use it without qualification that cause customers to believe they are purchasing a laptop that will display 3D media on the laptop display is shameful. But that may be because even the retailers don't understand the issue, since they receive the ad copy from ASUS.
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

mx5boi
Level 7
Yeah. I think I am stuck.
The stupid thing is that HDMI 'can' support 3D. That is how you connect a 3D Bluray player to a TV and 'get' 3D from the player to the TV.
Sucks that my Laptop will not output through the HDMI at 120HZ.
ASUS G74SX
2nd Gen Intel® Core™ i7-2630QM Processor 2.2-3.1GHz,32nm (6M Cache, up to 2.90 GHz) 45W
Mat****a BD MLT UJ240AFW

dstrakele
Level 14
But CAN you at least get 720p60 or 1080p24 3D on your Acer monitor as sent from your G74SX?

Yep. I can get both of those but the 'test' or 'setup' that is sent from the nvidia 3D Control Panel fails and tells me that my resolution is not compatible. Of course it does not tell me 'what' is wrong - nor how to fix it (typical error message).
I think it is because the glasses need 120HZ so they can work at 60HZ / 60HZ each eye?
ASUS G74SX
Mat****a BD MLT UJ240AFW

dstrakele
Level 14
Well that sure sounds like "false advertising" to me...

xeromist
Well, first I want to make sure that I point out 3DTV play and 3D Vision are not the same thing. The first is the solution for TVs and the second is the solution for computer monitors. Pretty much all 3D TV is limited to those lower refresh rates or resolutions because the vast majority of HDMI processors can't handle anything higher anyway and HDMI is the connection TVs use. 3D Vision is the tech that runs up to 120Hz full HD and it pretty much requires DVI or DisplayPort since most HDMI connections can't handle it.

From what I see that monitor is 3D Vision ready but it doesn't say anything about 3DTV play. That said, you might be able to use it with an external emitter and 3DTV play? I'm not sure. You'd have to install the 14 day trial of 3DTV play to test.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

mx5boi
Level 7
I think I get it all now.

I had kind of come to the same conclusion but I was hoping that I was wrong and it would all work.

I am fairly sure that the following is right.

1) The Laptop 'does' support 3D via the HDMI (1.4) out (hence the "3DTV PLAY" logo) - but the monitor does not support 3D 'in' via its HDMI input?

2) The monitor does support 3D (and will work with the glassses and emitter) but needs an nvidia graphincs card with a 'dual-link' DVI output to get the signal to it?

So I need to either:
Buy a full on '3DTV' that supports the 3D output from the laptop from this list (and use the glasses that came with the TV) http://www.nvidia.com/object/3dtv-play-system-requirements.html - Am I strictly limited to these TVs or can I just buy any TV that has "3D over HDMI 1.4" (assuming there are TVs that are not on that list that have the feature)?

OR
Updgrade the graphics card in my Desktop to an nvidia that has the 'dual-link' DVI output (like a 'full' GeForce GTX 560) and use that with my current monitor and glasses?

Before I make another mistake, can I ask if I can use an nvidia that supports "3D Vision" (like the GeForce GTX 560) or do I need one that also supports "3D Vision Surround" (like theGeForce GTX 560 Ti)

Thanks

All these various nvidia 3D terms and incompatibilities are doing my head in.... 3D Vision, 3D Vision Surround, 3DTV PLAY
ASUS G74SX
Mat****a BD MLT UJ240AFW

I bought a G55VW laptop, thinking It has 3d included (As shown into the advertising) , then I bought an LCD display, becouse the Asus support person told me "you need to buy a compatible LCD", so, this is a shame, becouse this is a dmn confusing technology and they dont tell us good enought especifications, but giving fake advertising.

At least you have this problem only with your graphic card, but I have the problem with the Notebook, that makes it worst,.

I heard that we can use an USB 2.0 to DVI, do you know something about that?