cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G72 running hot?

Thx1138
Level 7
The GTX 260M on my G72gx is idling at 62C. (Temp around the pc is 28C)
Should I be concerned?
G72GX__ GeForce GTX 260M__ 6GB RAM__ Intel Core 2 Dou CPU p8700 @2.52GHz
9 REPLIES 9

ConspiracyHeist
Level 7
Yeah I have had the model since 09 and I never had idle temps that high only while playing games. My first thought is you need to open up the bottom and unscrew the fan and clean it out and clean the radiator grill because that can get layered with a large amount of dust. It would be a good idea to get that air can out and spray into it as well. However if that doesnt work I have heard of people repasting their cpu and gpu with artic silver 5 however I dont know about thatI never had to do that.
Good luck

Thx1138
Level 7
I've already cleaned the fans, (Before I did that the temps were at 79 idle), and repasted the CPU. I plan on repasting the GPU as soon as I'm up to it, because I really don't want to mess anything up.

:rant: Asus needs to make accessing the GPU more simple. It would be nice if the laptops had 1 panel on the bottom so the user would easily be able to clean the GPU, CPU, and fans.

And by the way ConspiracyHeist, what idle temps are you getting?

It usually idles on high performances around 42-43c and around 55-60c playing games so I can see why your so concerned. The only other thing I can think of is its a driver issue with the GPU spiking but Im not sure. If you haven't done it already try updating your Nvidia drivers and or clean your registry.

Thx1138
Level 7
I just disassembled and re-pasted everything; strangely, the idle temps haven't changed. I'm still getting 59-69 while I'm not on games. ice diamond thermal paste was used for the job. If I don't get any significant drop in temps in the coming weeks, I'll check to make that I did not put on too much ( or little ) paste on the components. Thanks for the help and info so far.

sorry to bring an old thread alive, but i just recently purchased this laptop for $150 and plays all the games i want it to on ultra. : ) very nice buy but i too am having temps at idle my cpu is 26C and idle gpu is 50c i am wondering if that is a safe temp i'm in a 65c environment. I drilled little holes in the bottom of the panel to try to bring better airflow, it dropped it about 5c's but i'm still wanting to try to lower it. just purchased some copper shims to try on the gpu and little extra heatsinks to place on the copper to the cpu and gpu. now i am wondering what you guys would think a good low temp would be to be running on this thing? oh just replaced the 500gb harddrive in this thing to a ocz agility 3 which runs 30c consant, i have the best buy edition RBBX05 so no quad, just purchased the t9900 to try to get just a little performance squeeze out of it but if i can get this thing to stay cool while playing i can o.c to make up the performance issues. just wondering what good temps are to be running this thing. i absolutely love the laptop for it being 3 yrs old and still plays crysis 2 and skyrim on ultra is a beast

warmunkey wrote:
i'm in a 65c environment.

I don't think I'll ever be comin' over to your house...

50 C might be a tad warm for a GPU at idle, but it isn't dangerous. What are your GPU temps under a load? Have you tried blowing out your GPU fan intake and exhaust with a can of compressed gas to see if you can drop the temperatures a little?
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

dstrakele
Level 14
warmunkey wrote:
i'm in a 65c environment.

I don't think I'll ever be comin' over to your house...

50 C might be a tad warm for a GPU at idle, but it isn't dangerous. What are your GPU temps under a load? Have you tried blowing out your GPU fan intake and exhaust with a can of compressed gas to see if you can drop the temperatures a little?
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

warmunkey
Level 7
yes that was the first thing i did was blow it out, i managed to get it down to 45c idle and a max of 65c under load, reseated it and put some more vent holes on the bottom panel. the cpu stays at 26c idle and about 40c under 2 hours of prime 95. so i managed to keep it stable for gaming lol was reading lots about people having overheat problems and found the cooling engineering isn't so great on this thing. now my holes look like crap but they are working atleast. will post a pic of them for others to see.

pic of my vent holes i cut out over the fan and the gpu heat sink had plastic between some holes so i cut them for better flow and added a tad more over the copper areas of the gpu heatsink and cpu copper tubes.

the temps at idle

and 30 minutes of skyrim, on ultra except shadows which are on medium and the aa is off

After benchmarking in the unigine valley benchmark (Advanced Edition) on extreme HD for 2 hours i got these temps.

the temps aren't bad now but i want them to be better lol i'm always using this thing on my lap and don't want a lap warmer. idk if it producing more heat will suck more baattery but i'm trying to get this thing to 50c under load at stock speeds and will be satisfied. will post pics of the copper shims on gfx card because i left the blue thermal pads on and will be adding These on the heeatsink pipes to try to cool the pipes more, i saw this article http://therisingend.posterous.com/modding-the-asus-g72gx-laptop and thought hmmm can it be better? lol we shall see, These are the shims replacing the little blue thermal pads that sit on the gfx chips between the hea... going to put as5 on the chips, place a copper shim then as5 on the shims then put the aluminum heatsink back and see how temps are after. : )

warmunkey
Level 7
After benchmarking in the unigine valley benchmark (Advanced Edition) on extreme HD for 2 hours i got these temps.