cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G73SW-BST6

Retired
Not applicable
I just bought my new G73 and I wanted to let people know how great of a computer it is and see what others think of their new computer. It has the NVIDIA GTX460M Graphics card with 1GB of video memory. 8GB of ram installed expandable to 16GB. Intel Core i7 - 2630QM processor @ 2.00GHz. 750GB Hard drive with a second hard drive bay. It weighs around 7.5lbs. The keyboard is amazing, It has a soft feel to it which quiets down the sound of the buttons being pressed. If you have ever played "Metro 2033" its a graphically intense game with shadows everywhere and random dust particles in the air. I can run that game on high settings and get around 25fps which is amazing for a laptop running that game. all other games can be run on highest settings. Playing WoW on it ultra settings 60fps. the battery life on it is low for a laptop but this is to be expected for something with this kind of power having said that i am in pressed on its battery life. I played online in a car on the battery and I played for a good 2.3 hrs. Over all I give this computer 5 Stars. I Recommend buying this computer over and over.
19 REPLIES 19

Retired
Not applicable
Hi blah54222000,

I'm thinking of getting this computer, it's got awsome specs for the price. I noticed you said that the ram is upgradable to 16GB. Before reading your post I called a few Best Buy stores to find out if it is indeed expandable to 16GB, but not even the Geek Squad could answer that question. Being a special configuration only found at Best Buy this particular computer is extremely hard to find specs on (outside the Best Buy website). You most likely know, the Best Buy website states that the more expensive model G73SW-BST8 is indeed expandable to 16GB, however the BST6 model only says that it has 8GB installed with no mention of memory expandability. Are you sure that it's really capable of 16GB??? If so that would be FANTASTIC!!! Did you pop it open and look inside or did you read that somewhere and if so where??? I'd be very interested and most grateful if you could post a response. And thanks for your great review!

Chastity
Level 10
The CPU has the memory controller, and thus supports 16GB memory.
[SIGPIC]Kicking Ass Since Today[/SIGPIC]

Retired
Not applicable
It definitely supports, but if i read the manual correctly, only 2 of the 4 memory slots are easily accessible, the other ones require practically a disassemble of the unit to get to them...

Retired
Not applicable
Can anyone provide a benchmark for G73SW-BST6? I just purchased the G73JH-BST7. The G73SW-BST6 is supposed to be considerable faster than the BST7 with the video on the BST7 is faster. If it is faster across the board I will purchase one. 3D Mark 11 or Vantage will do.

Thankx in advance

Retired
Not applicable

Retired
Not applicable
I have the scores for the 3D Mark 11 on this computer. Laptop Magazine has given it a score of 1,850 when i ran it i got a score of 1,696. I'm sure they tweaked the settings to make the score better. I had the settings up pretty high and it still didn't look bad.
Detailed Scores
3D Mark Score - 1,696
Graphics Score - 1,526
Physics Score - 5,858
Combined Score - 1,380

Sorry it took so long 😞

Retired
Not applicable
I got a score of 1952 on 3dmark 11, no mods or overclocking, and I do have the bst6 : )

Asus g73sw-bst6

I bought the ASUS G73 Sw on Tigerdirect. I just upgraded to 16 Gig of RAM. Found 4 bays containing 2 gig each. Two in the back and two under the keyboard. I put two SSDs from crucial, one 128 gig m4(primary) and one 256 m4(data storage) using the Data transfer kit to clone the original HDD. Windows 7 loads in 22 seconds. restarts in 15. The G73Sw is fast. I'm in Wyoming and rely on Hughes Net for a signal and it stills out performs anything I have had to date. Windows performance Index is 7.1 I am learning each day but it is amazing. I put a Thermaltake metal cooler for added cooling protection and the entire unit is cool to the touch. No finger prints either. Keeping the laptop clean is easy.
William "Vern" Van Matre:)

Retired
Not applicable

This is the benchmark for "Metro 2033" I will post more as i get them of different Games.
Below is a link to a video of the benchmark just so you can see what the game play would look like while you look at the benchmark.