cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tweaking: reversing function keys

Metapsionic
Level 7
Hello tweakers,

I'm totally new here, and I just bought a g75vw. I was wondering if there was a way to reverse the function keys so that I don't have to hold down the function key every time I want to adjust volume or brightness? It's driving me nuts.

Thanks in advance,

Metapsionic
11 REPLIES 11

Myk_SilentShado
Level 15
Easy way of adjusting the volume, right click on the speaker icon in the system tray and move the slider up or down...easy as pie!!! as to the brightness, no, you need to hold the function key to adjust the brightness as of course the key when pressed not in conjunction with the function key io used for something else.

That's very disappointing. I'm used to my old macbook where a direct key press adjusts volume and brightness, something I do often enough. I really want to avoid adjusting volume in the system tray or by pressing more than one key.

Honestly, how often does one use the function keys outside of game? You'd think there would be a way to reverse that functionality.

Myk_SilentShado
Level 15
don't take this the wrong way...but what's wrong with using just the icon in the system tray? it's not exactly rocket science or brain surgery to clicky a little icon and move the slider up or down....though, if I wanna adjust the volume on my rig...I press a single button on my keyboard...more often than not, I use the system tray icon, as it gives a greater control of adjustment in smaller increments.

Not what I wanted, but thanks for your input Myk!

i'm with ya on this one, Metapsionic. i posted something like this a while ago and never got a response. i have looked into remapping the keys and doing it in the bios but no luck. the fn key is just too proprietary. but yes i agree, its much nicer when you want to adjust the keyboard brightness, screen brightness, volume, touchpad enable/disable to just press 1 key. Asus really needs to make a program to customize features like this.

champ729 wrote:
i'm with ya on this one, Metapsionic. i posted something like this a while ago and never got a response. i have looked into remapping the keys and doing it in the bios but no luck. the fn key is just too proprietary. but yes i agree, its much nicer when you want to adjust the keyboard brightness, screen brightness, volume, touchpad enable/disable to just press 1 key. Asus really needs to make a program to customize features like this.

if you still looking for a solution try the below.

Use autohotkey then just edit the default script and add the following to the end of that script, remember to save it, then reload the script. BTW my laptop is an ASUS G750J. This only for the volume, didn't mess with the brightness.

F11::Send {vkAEsc12E}
F12::Send {vkAFsc130}
F10::Send {vkADsc120}

jdgurule wrote:

Use autohotkey then just edit the default script and add the following to the end of that script, remember to save it, then reload the script. BTW my laptop is an ASUS G750J. This only for the volume, didn't mess with the brightness.

Dude, THANK YOU!!! I have been searching EVERYWHERE for a solution to this problem. I have no idea why ASUS does it the way they do. I will absolutely be using those keys more often to adjust volume than I would for other F10/11/12 functions. Especially when I forget my volume is up and I play a youtube video that comes blasting out of my speakers and I just want to turn down the volume really fast. I hated having to scramble to his the Fn key to accomplish this. It should not require two hands to adjust freaking volume. Nor navigating to the freaking volume icon on the taskbar every time. That's ridiculous.

This helped me, too! Thanks so much! Way easier.

Myk SilentShadow wrote:
what's wrong with using just the icon in the system tray? it's not exactly rocket science or brain surgery to clicky a little icon and move the slider up or down.

This is exceptionally counterintuitive as a gamer, in game. I just picked up an ROG ASUS laptop and am flabbergasted that you can't natively reverse the FN keys.

Case in point: Playing a game and an alert I didn't realize was so loud goes off mid-combat. Instead of being able to press one button to turn it down, I have to either A) Take both hands off their current locations (WASD + Mouse) to press FN+F11, or B) Divert FULL CONTROL from my game in order to click a tiny icon off-screen and then manually adjust a slider - either by click dragging or rolling the middle click - before re-clicking the game to get back into play. Option B also only works in windowed mode, as you will need to exit Full Screen to be able to click your task bar. Ironically, you actually have to press F11 at this point for the quickest way to do the slowest job (manually adjusting the slider by hand) - and hope that the game you're playing supports windowed functionality. It seems if your speakers are blaring, you deserve to die (in game obviously).

None of these options will result in anything other than your death, as to relinquish control and movement MID-FIGHT (essentially stopping your character on a dime) is a death sentence. So ASUS assumes you won't ever need to adjust your volume on the fly mid-game. Furthermore, simple daily use (non-game activities) like listening to music, or watching a movie (also fullscreen usually) require two hands or this icon nonsense. Instead ASUS assumes more often you will need faster access to fullscreen (since esc exits just as well), and website info. More people need quick access to website HTML code than volume adjustment? Really? They don't even help you out and put a FN key on the right, so that you wouldn't ALWAYS need two hands.

jdgurule wrote:

The above fix does indeed work. I was going to make a post detailing the exact instructions of how to do it, since it's not immediately obvious to everyone how to get a third party program to build/execute a script for you - but it took over a week for me to get access to this board having 6 different stages of confirmation hoops I had to jump through and I don't remember the details as accurately as I would have liked.

I can say that it is now part of my "startup process" as the script will not run by default, so you need to run it every time you start your computer. Also, it doesn't actually "reverse" the F keys, so much as re-map them. This means that by using this script, you lose access to F10-F12 (Menu Bar, Fullscreen, HTML). You can write a script using the same method to revert them, or restart your computer.

If it seems like a lot of excessive work for what should be a simple native boolean toggle, that's because it is.