cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gtx 580 power problems (maybe)

dp69
Level 7
Hi guys kind of hoping someone can help me out with my probs.

At the moment im using a dark power pro 850w psu to push my 580 direct cu 2 , which u may know requires dual 8 pin power.
Unfortunately the psu only supplied with 2 cables both of which are short 2 pins , each cable has 2 connectors 1 x 6 + 2 pin and 1 6 pin . So at present im running 2 cables from psu so i can utilize both of the 6+2 pin connectors and tucking the 2 remaining 6 pin cables out of the way. This does work but leaves me 2 issues 1. its messy i like a tidy case 2. as i only have 3 pcie outputs on the psu and im using 2 of them it leaves me no upgrade path for a second gtx 580.

So my question is this can i safely run the card with just a 6 +2 pin and 6 pin supply as im lead to believe the last 2pins are
ground pins and not sense pins which im still trying to find out more about.

Sorry if my typing is a bit scatty but any help would be most appreciated
6 REPLIES 6

HiVizMan
Level 40
If you wish to get an additional Matrix buy a suitable PSU is my firm advice.

Do not risk your cards and your system.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

Sound advice thank u . Id be mortified if anything died and i only had myself to blame.

HiVizMan
Level 40
I speak from bitter personal experience sadly. Do not skimp on the PSU not with £500 graphic cards.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

Honestly thought i was on the right track with the dark pro psu as it ticked all the boxes gold certified plenty of headroom and
whisper quiet and pleasing to the eye. Seems as if id chose a reference 580 or any of the newer 600 range id not be having this
trouble but as i really want to pair my dc2 with a matrix or another dc2 a new psu is going to be my only option. I have been in touch with Be quiet and they informed me that the cable i require is not one they can supply but did kind of suggest that it may work as the two pins were ground terminals. But as suggested being cautious is going to save me from stealing the wifes gt 220 and nobody needs that. Thanks for your time .

HiVizMan
Level 40
You will have some issues pairing graphic cards I have both the Matrix and the DCII cards, as well as a couple others. Seem to recall I had very little success doing SLi with the Matrix and anything else but a Matrix.

Has been a while since I did play with them so I could just be suffering from early onset of dementia.

The 2 GTX680 will work on that PSU no problem at all.

Oh by the way I use the bequite 1200W PSU and rate them.

I am many paydays away from a 680 sli setup and besides that if i had that kinda cash i most likely be joining the list of people that dont stand a hope of getting a Mars 3. I wanted a matrix but had to wait a few months because money was tight then for some reason the price shot up like a skyrocket and i went for the dc2. And now its seems the matrix is a rare bit of kit as i cant find one anywhere. Dc 2 it is then, and a new psu , think ill stick with dark power as i cant fault it for its use at present.