cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phoebus recommendation - adaptive sample rate

__VeNoM__
Level 7
I have never been so concerned about sample rate before getting this card. Since the option is built in to the software to change the sample rate, I find myself constantly thinking "have I chose the right setting for my current app"?.

I don't know if this is possible to have the sample rate to change automatically to match the sauce?
13 REPLIES 13

Raja
Level 13
No there is not. Most music is recorded in 16 bit formats, while gaming sounds may be sampled at 24 bit (even though most DACs are not true 24 bit anyway). Just set to one depending upon what you are doing.

__VeNoM__
Level 7
The problem I have though Raja is that I don't really understand the settings. I wouldnt know what settings I should be using for BF3, then what to use for my iTunes and then my movies...

Can any of you guys recommend as such...

Games: 192Khz - 24Bits
Music: 48Khz - 16Bits
Movies: 44Khz - 16Bits

Could be useful for novice people such as myself?? Really help me if you guys could put some suggestions forward please 🙂

Raja
Level 13
Honestly, the difference to my ears is not great enough to make such a big thing out of this for the masses. So if you want to go with your list, go ahead. Can you really hear much of a difference on your system between the settings? If you can, just go with whatever you prefer. As long as the bit depth is equal to or greater than the recording rate, I would not worry about it. Don't know what the BF3 guys sampled at - I really don't care too much about games as I know they wont have sampled anything higher than 24 bit in resolution.

For music, all my files are recorded at 16 bit 44.1KHz so I just stick with that. I can hear a bit of difference between the sample rates, but it is very small and really I suppose it comes down to personal preference more than me telling everyone "hey you gotta setup your card like this or you are making a grave mistake!".

Raja@ASUS wrote:
Honestly, the difference to my ears is not great enough to make such a big thing out of this for the masses...

Raja, no offense, but the questions is not about the capabilities of your ears and the rest of your post is something that not even worth to be commented.

so, the facts are: even 10 years old 24bit/192 kHz capable audio card has driver that can switch automatically to the proper sample rate, i.e. the sample rate of the source audio; even listening 44.1 kHz to the closest sample rate of 48 kHz is causing such big level of IMD (Intermodulation distortion) that it's just pointless to have EUR 200 sound card and get such distortion; the questions about sample rate auto-detection is pretty serious.

msh wrote:
Raja, no offense, but the questions is not about the capabilities of your ears and the rest of your post is something that not even worth to be commented.

so, the facts are: even 10 years old 24bit/192 kHz capable audio card has driver that can switch automatically to the proper sample rate, i.e. the sample rate of the source audio; even listening 44.1 kHz to the closest sample rate of 48 kHz is causing such big level of IMD (Intermodulation distortion) that it's just pointless to have EUR 200 sound card and get such distortion; the questions about sample rate auto-detection is pretty serious.

No offence taken. But why did you chop out that part of my post, leaving the pointer of that statement out? Add that in and you will see I was talking about his list and preferences for sample rates.

"Honestly, the difference to my ears is not great enough to make such a big thing out of this for the masses. So if you want to go with your list, go ahead."

So, if you'd like to make a statement about why you feel auto switching rates are important, do so. But don't take parts of my posts and misconstrue the meaning.

And as for the last part of your post. I would tidy that up a little so the meaning is clear. If HQ do decide to read this post, I doubt they will be able to make out what it is you are trying to explain about IMD worded like that, as it seems to dart in three different directions without being clear on any one (english is not the first language of the R&D guys). I feel the fact that you have the adjustment on-hand nullifies most of what you are saying anyway - you have the option to set the sample rate to whatever the source was recorded at. Okay, so auto switching would be nice, but given there are things that need sorting on the digital side, I'd hedge bets this will not be a pivotal point of focus right now. Areas where outright functionality are lacking are what needs sorting out.

I'd also like to clear up your perception of my statement. Audio is largely subjective once we get past reading specs. It is monumentally difficult for me to pick out the audible differences between different sample rates (on any equipment I have here). I need a set of $1800 headphones to do it. Even then, the difference is that small, it would come down to subjective preference for most people rather than measured or proposed distortion spectra. There are arguments for and against upsampling, both with good arguments. Hence why i said, I will not make a "big thing" of this. If someone prefers using a higher or even lower sampling rate because it sounds better to their ears, then they are welcome to do so.

On top of that. It's not me you need to convince. If you want to see changes made, submit emails to the Xonar email address which is given in the bug report form sticky thread.

I hope that clears up my views on things. I am neither for or against the auto switching option. I only draw line under the stuff that starts to fall into the subjective realm, preferring to let people choose whatever suits them best.

-Raja

Raja@ASUS wrote:
I feel the fact that you have the adjustment on-hand nullifies most of what you are saying anyway - you have the option to set the sample rate to whatever the source was recorded at. Okay, so auto switching would be nice, but given there are things that need sorting on the digital side, I'd hedge bets this will not be a pivotal point of focus right now. Areas where outright functionality are lacking are what needs sorting out.

Raja, the problem with the above is that I have no idea what the original source was recorded at 99% of the time i.e. for games I play. I don't think that information is usually released with the system requirements for the game. I also would love to at least have a radio button or checkbox option that says "Match source sampling rate and bit depth".

andrea89
Level 7
hello all

first as a sound card I used the X-fi Titanium, recently I was using the chip of my Asus rampage Formula IV (very good), with speakers of Logitech Z906 Speaker System -5.1 connection via 3-plated jack.

Yesterday I finally got the ROG Asus Xonar Phoebus .... I've found on the ASUS website the latest driver which solved crash in game .... Once I installed the drivers properly set up the panel and set the 5.1 etc.
Then I went on the panel windows-audio, I have seen that the frequency was on quality cd ..... but my old sound card I already own the impostavano profesisonale on quality.
Then I found this very useful thread, and I understand that you have to set it directly from the driver and the sampling frequency is changed consseguenza sound of windows!
I put the driver 192Khz - 24bits and BF3 played with Dolby Home Theater V4
guys are really impressed by the quality of the sound, but not limited to the surround effects are felt tantissimo.ancora I test her going on the other apps \ games but already I'm sure I did not disappoint.

I want to congratulate ASUS \ ROG for all his material is really great.

PS
sorry for my terrible english
CASE: Obsidian 800d MB: Rampage IV Extreme Cpu: Intel I7 3930K@ 4.7 OFFSET 1.328\1.336 Cooler: H100I Ram: 16 Gb Corsair Platinum 2400Mhz C9 Gpu: EVGA GeForce GTX TITAN Superclocked Signature 6 GB Ssd: samsung 840 Pro 256 Gb+samsung 840 evo 120 Gb+ASUS ROG RAIDR Express AUDIO: ROG Xonar Phoebus 7.1+ logitech Z-906 MONITOR: MX299Q ULTRA-WIDE 21:09 ALIMENTATORE: Corsair AX 1200i OS: Windows 8.1 pro 64 bit ROUTER: DSL-N66U

Raja
Level 13
For games, nobody samples higher than 24 bit 192KHz (there are no TRUE multibit DACs with higher than 24 bit depth). And then we fall back to, hearing the differences once again...

For your suggestion to work, the card would need to know the bit depth of the original audio somehow. This can be made to work for audio files, I am not sure on games. The Essence One has auto sensing for sample rates on audio files, but it does not work on games as far as I am aware (had a go on BF3 today and it just used whatever I had selected in control panel). It's quite easy to find the sample rate of your audio files (music) so you can set that manually.

Either way, you guys all know where the email box is now 🙂

Thanks Raja, sent email as follows:

Hello, I have a couple of feature requests for upcoming Xonar Phoebus driver updates if possible:

1. Please consider an option of allowing the SW/card to automatically select the proper bit-depth / sampling rate based on what the source material was recorded at. Most of the time I have absolutely no idea what the source was recorded at i.e. for games, so I don’t know what to set the options to in the UI.
2. If the HW design will allow it, I would like for the volume control on the breakout box to control the volume of the speakers when a headphone is not plugged into the box. This would prevent having to ALT-Tab out of a game to adjust the speaker volume.

Thank you for your consideration.

Regards,