cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GTX 470 SLI - Way Too Hot

MrKuenning
Level 7
I just finished my Maximus V Formula Build, and I added a second GTX 470 for more performance.
I also am using three screens.

I am finding that my primary GPU idols at 70 - 80 C. I found that nVidia doesn't clock down at all when two or mores screens are active. If I disable all but one screen I can see the GPU drop from 1500mhz to 150mhz and the temp drops from 80C to 45C.

My biggest problem is when I load up a game. Last night I tried skyrim, witcher 2 and Saints Row 3. All three of them pushed the temps on both GPU's over 90C, and the fans sounded like jet engines.

Is this a driver / setting issue? Do I need to re-thermal paste them? Is this just "normal" for 470 in SLI?
i5 3570K
Asus Maximus V Formula
H100 with SilenX EFX-12-15 120mm
G.SKILL Ripjaws Z Series 16GB 4x4 2133
Nvidia GTX 470 SLI
Corsair Force GT 60 GB SATA III/6G, 2x SAMSUNG F4 2TB
1000W PSU with Black Green Braided Cables
Corsair C70 Gun Metal Grey
5 REPLIES 5

HiVizMan
Level 40
It all depends on the level of detail (eye candy) that you have turned on. Skyrim is going to really tax those two cards.

I would say not so much the card as the games you are playing.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

xeromist
Try taking the side panel off and pointing some sort of fan (box fan, personal fan) at the cards. If your temps drop significantly then this is an airflow problem.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Are the cards right next to each other or separated by a slot? If next to each other can you separate them...will your board allow this? I think Fermi started out as a space heater and then got made into a GPU! They will gratefully take all the air you can move over them!
Lots of people complained about sloppy TIM jobs on those cards....might not hurt to have a look and clean out any dust while you're at it.

You could also check the voltages going through the cards and try undervolting them a bit...(MSI afterburner)

MrKuenning
Level 7
The cards had a single space between them.

I tried popping the case side off and blowing a fan on them, and it made them quieter. +75% down to +65% fan speed.
But over all the temps stayed above 90c

Like I said it idols at +70c. I don't understand why, as its the same board I used in my previous build, and I assumed that load balancing by adding a second would make it run cooler not hotter.

I have tried SLI on and off, and games still run high 80's low 90's.

The only way I have found to make the card run cool is to disable all monitors but on, and leave it to idol. Then it runs about 45c-50c.

I really hate the idea of opening up my cards, but I am feeling like I may have no outer route, as gaming is almost unbearable with two GPU's running 80% fan.

Is there a driver or gpu setting that may assist? Does anyone know how to make the card clock down with two monitors enabled?
i5 3570K
Asus Maximus V Formula
H100 with SilenX EFX-12-15 120mm
G.SKILL Ripjaws Z Series 16GB 4x4 2133
Nvidia GTX 470 SLI
Corsair Force GT 60 GB SATA III/6G, 2x SAMSUNG F4 2TB
1000W PSU with Black Green Braided Cables
Corsair C70 Gun Metal Grey

X-ROG
Level 15
You really NEED a side-fan with the 400 series. My single 480 runs at 90C in the summer heat (~90-95F) with 100% fan and all my case fans on full. They just run extremely hot.

I used to watercool just the core and it made a HUGE difference to noise and temps. I actually regret removing it all now.