cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G75VW-DS71 with Thunderbolt, anyone get Tbolt port to work?

Mako
Level 7
I have an AJA IO XT, so far the laptop does not put up PNP messages for the device.

Anyone get this laptop working, with any thunderbolt device?

Do i need to update the bios?

Thanks
20 REPLIES 20

Shawnnepc
Level 13
Please note the following :

http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?17015-G55-Thunderbolt-clarification&country=&status=

Your laptop doesn't have Thunderbolt, you only have display port.

The retailer that you purchased it from is at fault for incorrectly identifying the port.
USA ASUS Reseller
http://www.neteffectspc.com

Even the G75???

If so this is a crazy mistake! I will box this machine up and send back in a heart beat.

Pretty sure I read several reviews, no one mentioned this. I could swear one review tested the port with a hard drive?

Mako wrote:
Even the G75???

If so this is a crazy mistake! I will box this machine up and send back in a heart beat.

From the above link:
Retailer X shows a G75 with Thunderbolt available!
This is falsely listed. Please give me a link and we will get it corrected.
G75s with Thunderbolt will be available later this year and we will announce availability when they are ready.

I'm sorry that it didn't work out the way that you planned 😞
USA ASUS Reseller
http://www.neteffectspc.com

Shawnnepc wrote:
Please note the following :

http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?17015-G55-Thunderbolt-clarification&country=&status=

Your laptop doesn't have Thunderbolt, you only have display port.

The retailer that you purchased it from is at fault for incorrectly identifying the port.

I keep reading about this being the "retailers" fault, why are people protecting the manufacturer? I'm pretty sure Asus had a hand in misleading consumers. They have a thunderbolt above the port!! And did the retailers just assume that these units would have Thunderbolt?? They don't just dream these things up, it had to have been information relayed from the manufacturer as some point...

I believe there is a serious case to be made here for false advertising. I for one am certainly peeved and disappointed at the handling of this issue.

OK I just got my G75 VW DS2. My port is marked Thunderbolt/Mini Display. How would I know how to turn it on if its available?
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

Gr8tHand wrote:
I keep reading about this being the "retailers" fault, why are people protecting the manufacturer? I'm pretty sure Asus had a hand in misleading consumers. They have a thunderbolt above the port!! And did the retailers just assume that these units would have Thunderbolt?? They don't just dream these things up, it had to have been information relayed from the manufacturer as some point...

I believe there is a serious case to be made here for false advertising. I for one am certainly peeved and disappointed at the handling of this issue.

My thoughts exactly on all points.

Its getting boxed up and going back... everyone who bought it thinking there was thunderbolt inside should send them back.

Thunderbolt is not a nice to have for my business. We are video content creators that use specific peripherals with Thunderbolt.

How much sense does it make to have analog VGA, HDMI and mini displayport one machine?

Gr8tHand wrote:

It's not a Thunderbolt logo. Thunderbolt is a circle and bolt, the one we use is a square and bolt to show that it's either/or DisplayPort or Thunderbolt, where applicable. I didn't make the decision and I don't agree with it but this is the reason.

The retailers have very clear guidelines from our sales and at no point do we stipulate Thunderbolt is present on any G75s currently.

Gr8tHand wrote:

Initial reviews of the G75 saw the thunderbolt-like marking on the case and assumed it was thunderbolt. From what I remember from my initial research prior to the release of the G75 ASUS had initially planned to include thunderbolt but its inclusion at launch was held back due to Intel's certification for the hardware. ASUS advised all their retailers to not advertise thunderbolt on the G75. Since retailers do not answer to ASUS, it's ultimately not ASUS' fault if a retailer incorrectly markets their product.
G75VW-BBK5 (Stock configuration with added Crucial M4 256GB SATA SSD as OS boot drive)

Need to know how to restore your G75 to it's factory-like condition? Go to my step-by-step guide:
Step-by-Step: Using ASUS Recovery DVDs to Restore G75

Want to download the latest drivers and utilities for your G75/G55? Go to this thread:
Downloading New Drivers/Utilities for G75/G55