Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    ROG Enthusiast Array Pixxie payne's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kkn View Post
    lan pc ( depends on what games to play or storage your after )
    bf3 = 670 - 680 plays it well
    128 ssd for OS and 128ssd for games and mecanical for storage.
    amd is cheep, but dont suport pciex V3.0 yet, intel more expensive and suports 3.0.
    im most likly going to get a i7-3770k and a gtx 690, less weight, more speed and will most likly use a a black cavier for storageand games aswell as 120gb ssd for boot and software
    Due to the speed of its orbit and rotation, mercury's days last longer than its years.

IF you want to you can go water on the "lan"rig, like a closed loop.
    H80 or H100 for example.

Quote Originally Posted by kkn View Post
    IF you want to you can go water on the "lan"rig, like a closed loop.
    H80 or H100 for example.
    i was thinking about using a corsair hydro but not sure on what case to use, im looking at the nzxt vulcan
    Due to the speed of its orbit and rotation, mercury's days last longer than its years.

SSDs are under $/gb so why not just get a few? 4x512GB Crucial M SSDs in RAID 0 will cost $1600 and have 2gb/s read/write speeds. That's around half that of DDR3! You could drop it back to 4x256 if you want to only spend $800, and you will still get the 2gb/s speeds.

You should definitely split the gaming out of the render box. Having 2 boxes will be much more efficient. Doesn't your company have a render farm in the first place? If not then consider building a cluster that can easily tackle embarrassingly parallel tasks, like cycles rendering or ray tracing. (sidenote: PS2 can handle 2 floating point operations simultaneously, and has 300mhz clock speed and cost only $5 second hand. PS2 clusters give high end GPUs a real run for their money when you start putting them in parallel!). If you want the best render speeds then aim for lots of commodity rather than few high end. But like I implied before, it would be even better to connect to a render farm and have that do the work for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Gorman View Post
    SSDs are under $/gb so why not just get a few? 4x512GB Crucial M SSDs in RAID 0 will cost $1600 and have 2gb/s read/write speeds. That's around half that of DDR3! You could drop it back to 4x256 if you want to only spend $800, and you will still get the 2gb/s speeds.

You should definitely split the gaming out of the render box. Having 2 boxes will be much more efficient. Doesn't your company have a render farm in the first place? If not then consider building a cluster that can easily tackle embarrassingly parallel tasks, like cycles rendering or ray tracing. (sidenote: PS2 can handle 2 floating point operations simultaneously, and has 300mhz clock speed and cost only $5 second hand. PS2 clusters give high end GPUs a real run for their money when you start putting them in parallel!). If you want the best render speeds then aim for lots of commodity rather than few high end. But like I implied before, it would be even better to connect to a render farm and have that do the work for you.
    im a freelancer and like i said, if i build a work station computer i will end up spending like 3x more, also i wont raid0 my harddrives, i will keep them all seperate cause i dont mind waiting 20 secs for the computer to boot up and stuff.

Ah I see, in that case maybe you should look in to cloud render farm solutions. I am pretty sure there are some good services out there that can save you a lot of time and money.

Why would you end up spending 3x more on a workstation?

If you are going to have a large number of drives you should always RAID them in some kind of way, it doesn't make much sense to have 4 logical drives or whatever :P If you want some recovery you can consider RAID 2 or a higher RAID level.

Even with 1 SSD you won't take 20 seconds to boot.

the work station gpu i would get is $5k, i would rather spend £k on a super high end gaming pc and get more or less the same performance

But a workstation would definitely give you more performance if you consider only work related tasks. It won't game as well, but for work it will definitely be superior.

Quote Originally Posted by Gorman View Post
    But a workstation would definitely give you more performance if you consider only work related tasks. It won't game as well, but for work it will definitely be superior.
    this is a personal computer aswell as a work computer remember, i would rather spend £5k on a high end gaming pc and be able to do work and game on 1 machine

okthen if you want to have just 1 machine, but it's not going to be the most efficient use of money :P

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast