cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G75 and AMD 7970

xanzion
Level 7
I'll make this short and sweet. This mxm 3.0 card is looking promising each time I look at it:

http://www.tipidpc.com/viewitem.php?iid=16786546

The AMD 7970 in this laptop would be sooooo beast. I'm sure this has been discussed but I had yet to find an actual post with information on an actual video card in existence that looks to fit even better than the current GTX.

Thoughts? 🙂
2 REPLIES 2

jorlanm
Level 7
The ATi HD 7970m is close to the GTX 680m performance...which means in Bench mark terms more than 50% faster! Yeah its crazy...But the bad parts is ASUS is trying to prevent users to upgrade their GPU on G series Laptops...on the G75 they totaly redesigned the GPU which actusaly looks like its side ways...making upgrading the GPU pretty much impossible if you want the Chassis intact and have to fabricate your own Heatsink...

The G73 users have better luck since ASUS GPU MXM cards on them was still pretty close to MXM specs just slight trimming and cutting of the heatsink and chassis and people were able to upgarde their GPU...I am still in the process of putting the GTX 680m on my G73sw-3DE...I want it to be perfect and properly seated so Im realy taking my time with it...
-ASUS ROG G73SW-3DE-
-Intel Core i7-2630QM Mobile Quad Processor
-Intel HM65 Express Chipset +ICH10
-17.3" 1920x1080 120Hz Anti-Glare Matte Screen
-nVidia GeForce GTX 460m 1.5GB GDDR5 VRAM
-nVidia 3D Vision Active Shutter Glasses
-Creative EAX Advanced HD 5.0
-THX TruStudio
-8GB DDR3 1333MHz RAM (Max 32GB)
-2x500 Seagate Momentous XT Hybrid HDD
-Blu-Ray 4x Burner
-Logitech Performance MX Darkfield Laser Mice
-Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate

-XBOX360, PS3, Wii

kiba
Level 10
it will fit easily in the G73, there was a thread about it a while back, in fact im thinking about trying to find one for my G73. as an upgrade, id rather put it in my G73 than my G75.
ROG Notebooks: G75VW, G74SX, & G73JH And a gaming rig.