cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Way to find out how much wattage im putting out?

marcus556
Level 7
First and foremost i would like to say i am very impressed with my purchase of the Asus Rampage IV Formula board absolutely lover it and with the combination of the i7 3930k i feel like a kid on Christmas. But i have a problem i have a battery backup thats max output is 550w and when i put my new rig under a heavy cpu load such as folding or editing a movie... the ups can not handle it and shuts the computer down. What i am wanting to do is get a new UPS but want to make sure i get something thats gonna be sufficient. So back to my main question how do you check and see how much wattage your putting out? Is there a software that can check this for me? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Marcus
13 REPLIES 13

DaemonCantor
Level 13
You can get a Wattage Meter that plugs in the the Outlet and then your computer plugs into it and it tells you how much Wattage you unit is using. What's more important here isn't how much wattage your consuming but how many AMPs your system is using and get a Battery Backup that's better rated to that. just a rough guesstament you would probably need one that is rated at 10amps Continuous and 15amps Peak due to the little fact that most House Wiring is only rated to 15amps Peak any higher you would be calling the Fire Department to put out your House....lol If it's only Wattage your looking for I'd be willing to bet 1500watts to 5000watts would be more to your liking.

HiVizMan
Level 40
Forget software, what you need to do is list each and every bit of hardware that you will now or in the near future be connecting to a power supply. Your UPS that feeds the system will need to match or exceed that. Most of the guys here are able to help you work out what your requirements will be.

But if you are running a graphic card of any kind and possibly overclocking your CPU then most certainly 550W will fall over even if it was working at optimal performance which very few UPS ever do.

edit: The guru of power has spoken, ignore me and listen to what DC has said.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

thanks for your replies! I am not connecting much as i have a file server for all my storage but here is a list of devices i have plugged up.

Formula MB
Fusion ioXtreme pci express ssd
PNY Gefore GTX 560 GPU
I7 3930k overclocked at 4.8ghz
Corsair GT ssd
Blu Ray disk drive
H100 cooler with 4 fans attached to it
4 case fans
and the case i guess you could add in because of the usb ports and power buttons and all but i dont think they draw that much to really worry about.

I may in the future but doubtful add more graphics cards and sli but that is going to be later on. Im not a huge gamer but needed to upgrade my graphics card to play D3 at max settings.

Just a thought my old rig had all the exact same stuff inside except there is a new MB and CPU involved this time around

I had an i7 2600k overclocked at 4.6ghz and h60 water cooler and a gigabyte ud3h-b3 mb

so im think a 800 watt UPS would work fine???

Thanks!

Marcus

HiVizMan
Level 40
I would suggest that is sufficient yes.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

thanks i thought so to but wanted to make sure before i put 200$ or so into a UPS thanks again!

Marcus

Next Question:

APC or Cyberpower?

HiVizMan
Level 40
APC will do the job. I have one quick question, why do you want one? Do you live in an area with frequent power outages? Just curious.

I know they are a lot better than your regular surge protectors and the money i have put into the computer is well worth the investment. But i think i may have fixed my problem for now i took some stuff off the battery backup side of the UPS and it lowered the load on the battery now i am folding with no problems found a monitor in my UPS and it stays around 475w under load. But with this said and finally able to test folding and what not i have a couple of cores reaching 80 degrees C is that something to be concerned about or no?

HiVizMan
Level 40
80'c is well within tolerance when folding.