cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Forum signatures - size limit?

X-ROG
Level 15
I'd like to ask how users feel about limiting the size of people's signatures? While I want people to feel the need to express themselves and we don't like in 56k days anymore, I also feel that having a signature take up 30/40/50% of a webpage is excessive and detracts from the actual posts being made.

How do others feel and can we draw up some guidelines? 🙂
68 REPLIES 68

Hyper
Level 8
Your forums = your rules , most sites have a sig size limit on them now .......................... 400px x 200px / 200Kb max seems about average .................... I'll just go resize mine 😉

Myk_SilentShado
Level 15
I agree with you here MarshallR, there should be a limit set into place on Sigs. Another Forum I was once part of had a limit of 600x400, these dimensions may be a bit excessive. But there should be a limit set in place most definitely.

DaemonCantor
Level 13
Sorry but I thought the limit was already set to 200px High by 800px wide...So I take it your upset with that size? if you get much smaller you might as well make the Signature Text Based only because like the Signature above this post is just as tall as mine But only Text based. You already have the Signatures where they have to be Hosted Off Line from this site so there isn't a problem with storing them or How many megs the are. I know with my Sig I wasn't allowed in any form to Upload it here It's stored at Imageshack.com and I was only allowed to link it in.

Gorman
Level 12
Personally I think sigs should be removed, or we should have an option to remove them in our user CP.

I don't want to see a 2 line post with a 10 line or 300px sig. 2 lines of content, 5 times as much waste of space...

While we are at it, I don't see the point in post count/user title/location/join date/reputation.
Can we have an option to disable all the waste of space and just show username and post content?

Praz
Level 13
I think a size limit on graphics as well as a max character count is not unreasonable. The graphics size limit should include the total of all the images displayed and not per image.

Raja
Level 13
I would concur with limiting signature sizes. I hate sigs eating up screen real estate in busy threads.

kkn
Level 14
is it possible to set a "link" to signature under one's nick? ( where you can go inn and send a pm or go to profile )
or like under the joindate, location and post?
and add a signature to full specs ( or a drop down box? ), i guess its a lot of work but just a tought realy.

chrsplmr
Level 18
Thank You for asking MarshallR ..

I think the 'max character limit' should be raised. At this point in time you can put two links up
before you are max'd. (I am speaking of interForum links..ie.. to posts.)

As to images .. 650x250 sound reasonable? My Sig below is 500x148

The 'all tech all the time' crowd may prefer a clean imageless page however This forum is NOT
a pure technical support forum, This forum is pure ROG Community Support ... all of it.
Some are annoyed by long technical explainations when the question was, 'how do I turn it on?'

I personally have grown in all areas through this co-operation ... getting a ROGrig to ROG is
exactly where ROG begins. Then and only then is GAME ON.
Whatever your flavor .. OC, Mod'n, Gaming or ..... hahhahaha ... 'just' art.

The box 'show signature' can be unchecked under 'go advanced' and in long threads, as a courtesy,
could or maybe should be ..

As to 'hosting' off site. Once a signature image is uploaded and it appears on the 'sig/edit'page .. right click
it, then click properties, then highlight the url and right click-click copy.. then when you choose
insert image for the sig itself and the box asks for a url...you have one...on site.

As to 'Remove'--That option is in the ControlPanel - under General--
After All ....
..Should the SistineChapel have been painted Grey ???

May I finish this as I started .. Thank You for asking.c.

chrsplmr wrote:

Some are annoyed by long technical explainations when the question was, 'how do I turn it on?'

Maybe someone will sig this 😄

I think what's worse is when someone asks a simple question and then gets whacked with a shedload of undecipherable pseudo-poetry. 😛

Have had a fair few reported posts over the months...

Of course, if one has a sig that is of real use to the forum then keep it in long threads, too. The longer graphical works are a bit much though and some kind of size censorship is required I feel.