Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A2/D7 error on boot

V3K1nZ
Level 7
Hey guys,

I've got the Maximus V Formula.

I have a problem with a build that I just completed. This is my third build that I'm including 2 who were for friends. After everything is connected, the computer boots, the LEDs work well, my CPU fan seems to work well also. But I get the error D7 on the motherboard and I have no display.

I plugged in a USB keyboard later, thinking it might be the problem. Result: A2 error.

To summarize the errors in the manual are explained as follows:

D7: No input devices found
A2: No IDE detect

I removed the graphics card, hard drives disconnected and I removed the RAM. The system does not display anything yet and still displays the error D7 but on top of that, can not turn it off by the power button on my case. If I leave the RAM in place, the computer may shut down with the power button.

I saw a few forums to check with the beeps what could be the problem but I have no sound even when trying to connect the two cables I have with my case. One is indicated HD AUDIO and the other AC97. Which one should I connect?

At this point, do I undo my build and try to remove the CPU and see if it is installed correctly on the motherboard?

Thank you for your help.

Specs :

I7 3770k
ASUS GTX 670
ASUS MAXIMUS V Formula
Corsair AX750w
Corsair SSD 120Gb
Western Digital 1Tb
Corsair Dominator 1866Mhz
Cooler Master V8 CPU Heatsink
Cooler Master HAF X
16 REPLIES 16

HiVizMan
Level 40
Please list the full system spec of your build.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

HiVizMan wrote:
Please list the full system spec of your build.

I've updated my specs on my first post ! 🙂

HiVizMan
Level 40
Outstanding thanks mate.

Lets take it step by step shall we.

First thing to do is ensure that all your PSU connectors are correctly seated. Pay especial attention to the 12volt CPU connector. Is the 8 pin connector there completely seated? Clear CMOS and power up.

Once you have had a good look at the connectors and they are perfect then we will proceed. But just check first please. I am on line for most of the afternoon today. 🙂
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

HiVizMan wrote:
Outstanding thanks mate.

Lets take it step by step shall we.

First thing to do is ensure that all your PSU connectors are correctly seated. Pay especial attention to the 12volt CPU connector. Is the 8 pin connector there completely seated? Clear CMOS and power up.

Once you have had a good look at the connectors and they are perfect then we will proceed. But just check first please. I am on line for most of the afternoon today. 🙂

Ok, I checked all of my PSU and connectors on my motherboard and all seems well connected. I also clear CMOS and power up the computer. Still the same errors. 😞

HiVizMan
Level 40
Oh well had hoped that it was your PSU and particularly the 12v CPU plug that was not seated.

Right moving on.

Please have only one stick of memory in system, place the stick in the slot furtherest from the CPU.
Use only one hard drive - use the SSD - put it in the SATA 6GB port.
Keyboard and mouse were not listed but if you have a generic keyboard and mouse (not a fancy Logitech kind) that would be good. Try different USB slots during the post process if it does not work straight up.
Now clear CMOS again.

Power up.

Hi, i have the same error d7, my display works fine, its shows me that i use i7 3770k and recognize 8gb ram, but i have 16gigs 4x4gb sticks, if i try to boot with all 4 dimms i get the 55 code, i removed 2 sticks and looks like it works but it stops to d7 error. All my PSU connectors are correctly seated, u said to clear CMOS, power OFF or ON when i have to clear cmos? do i need to connect keyboard and mouse?

I7 3770k
ASUS GTX 670 4Gb
ASUS MAXIMUS V Formula/thunderFx
Cpu cooler corsair H100
Gskill 16gb 2666mhz
cooler master 1000W
ssd corsair 240GB
cooler master HAF 932 advanced

HiVizMan
Level 40
Here is my detailed step by step for a hard Clear CMOS followed by a new BIOS flash.

Clear CMOS

Completely remove all the hardware from your motherboard, and take the motherboard out of your case. Remember to disconnect the PSU connectors before you start to remove stuff.

Place the motherboard, now without CPU or battery on the box that your motherboard came in. It is a non-conductive and non-static surface.

Inspect the CPU socket area. I doubt that there is anything problematic there, but since the mobo is naked have a visual inspection for bent or misaligned pins.

Press start button for a couple of seconds to discharge the caps of any residual current.

Hold down the Clear CMOS button for a slow count of 3. Look in your manual if you are not sure where it is.

Leave your system as is over night. Or at least 8 hours.

Then with the bare minimum of hardware assembled in this order.

CPU and cooler.

One stick of ram in the furthest slot from the CPU.

One VGA

No hard drive.

No optical drive.

Keyboard and mouse.

VGA power connectors.

12 Volt CPU connector (8 Pin)

24 Pin power supply connector.

Plug the PSU into the wall socket.

Fat formatted USB stick with the latest BIOS connected a USB2 port.

Power up your system.

Make note of the two digit Q-Codes (if your motherboard supports a LED poster that is - if not look on your notebook using ROG connect.

Please use the delete key on the numeric keyboard, but most likely you will need to use F1 when prompted due to the clear CMOS.

Now navigate to the Tools in BIOS.

Select EZFlash2 and flash your BIOS.

DO NOT POWER DOWN.

The only time you will do anything is to select yes when asked if you wish to reset and reboot.

Let the system complete the iRog firmware upgrade if needed. This may take a few minutes but no longer than 30 mins.

Once you have completed the Flash and your system has reset and rebooted and you are back in BIOS. Power down.

Press Clear CMOS one more time.

Now add your OS hard drive only.

Power up to BIOS and set your SATA mode if needed.

Rebuild your system.

Pao_
Level 7
Hi again, What do the AE q-code means??

HiVizMan
Level 40
That means your BIOS (the system) has handed over to the OS. Or more officially handed over to AHCI which is where you OS is located.

It is an indicator that all is good and your system is in OS 🙂