cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[Resolved] Crosshair V Formula - Single/Dual channel memory issue.

Kasugano
Level 7
Ok guys, I have this rig:

* Crosshair V Formula ("BIOS" V1503)
* AMD FX-8150 (Working on his default speed)
* 2x 4GiB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 (CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9) Using XMP Profile @1600
* Geforce GTX560 (2GiB RAM version)
* Windows 7 Ultimate x64

The problem: I don't see any way to put this beauty on Dual Channel Mode!

Setups used:

* Using all red slots:
- Mobo reports 4GiB usable.
- "GPU/DIMM Post" reports the 2 memory slots are present, each one with their respective 4GiB.
- Windows reports 4GiB of 8GiB usable.
- CPU-Z, MemTest+ reports single channel mode. (64bit width)

* Using all black slots: same as the red ones above.

* Using the first black and a red one:
- Mobo reports all 8GiB usable
- "GPU/DIMM Post" reports the 2 memory slots are present, each one with their respective 4GiB as usual.
- Windows reports 8GiB usable.
- CPU-Z, MemTest+ reports single channel mode. (64bit width)

Using the last setup, AIDA64 reports the read memory benchmark roughly 12547MB/S and say "Dual DDR3-1600" on memory column.

Actually I'm kinda confused with all this, testing the memories alone wont report any problem and they are supposed to run on the red/black slots only as dual channel mode...

Update: I'm giving some screens about info/options from my mobo using the first setup (memories at red slots):
18 REPLIES 18

oldbrave
Level 9
Welcome to the forum!
If you check the advanced tab in the bios, then check the North Bridge configuration you'll see a listing for DCT Unganged Mode.
By enableing that setting and having the memory sticks in the proper slots the board will automaticly set the memory in a dual channel configuration. You should also make sure that the "Memory Hole Remapping" is enabled.
Electronic Smoke Signals From my TechnoTeepee
ASUS Crosshair V Formula AM3+ 990FX, 1703 bios
AMD FX 8350 Vishera @ 5162Mhz [21x245] 1.546v 🙂
Water Cooled - Koolance EX2-1055, CPU 370 WB, Idle=22c Load=52c
32Gb G.Skill Sniper ddr3 1600 8G X 4 , 9-9-9-24 @ 1.55v
ASUS HD7970-DC2T-3GD5, Cat 13.5 beta 2, Dell U3011 @ 2560x1600
SanDisk Extreme 120Gb SSD SATA 6Gb, 250Gb SATA 6Gb, 1Tb SATA 6Gb x2
Win 7 Ultimate 64bit, Corsair Obsidian 800D, Corsair HX1000w PSU

Thank you OldBrave,

Actually I already messed a lot with those 2 options before, but nothing good comes with they... the memory remapping does messes with total memory as I already knew... and the engaged mode was already enabled.

I updated the first post with some pics.

Myk_SilentShado
Level 15
Ok after having a quick read and looking at your images, can you put the RAM back into the red slots and then set the CPU/NB Frequency to 2200and make sure the DRAM Voltage is set to 1.5v. Check your timings info in DRAM.Timing and manually set the numbers if they are on just Auto (the first 4 from the top) and also check the READ to READ and select "2T". save exit reboot and load up Windows and see what happens there.

Myk SilentShadow wrote:
Ok after having a quick read and looking at your images, can you put the RAM back into the red slots and then set the CPU/NB Frequency to 2200and make sure the DRAM Voltage is set to 1.5v. Check your timings info in DRAM.Timing and manually set the numbers if they are on just Auto (the first 4 from the top) and also check the READ to READ and select "2T". save exit reboot and load up Windows and see what happens there.

All done... single channel mode and 4GiB only problems still persists. No matter what slots I use (red/red, black/black, black/red) she still give me single channel configuration... Only using a black and red slot give me full 8GiB but still at single channel configuration.

Kasugano wrote:
All done... single channel mode and 4GiB only problems still persists. No matter what slots I use (red/red, black/black, black/red) she still give me single channel configuration... Only using a black and red slot give me full 8GiB but still at single channel configuration.

Well that is really unusual, have you tried using the RAM in either the red/black slots with all default settings? if not, one color for both sticks, get into BIOS, f5 then f10 to save, reboot and see what happens. It's really odd that Dual Channel RAM isn't working at it's proper capacity.

I tried everything, all using setup defaults to no avail... The thing that bothers me it is the fact the mobo recognize the RAM sticks on both red slots and both black slots (GPU/DIMM POST say they are there and with correct memory values of each stick) but still gives me only 4GiB and no access to dual channel mode... Now the question is: What this supposed to mean? 😞

The best I can do is to use the first red and black slots to get 8GiB...

Myk_SilentShado
Level 15
Honestly I don't understand why your Motherboard isn't initialising Dual Channel properly or why your Win7 isn't allowing 8GB when you use both red or black slots....it's rather confusing.....might be the RAM.

HiVizMan
Level 40
Could you pull your ram out of the motherboard and visually inspect the dimm slots. There might be a small piece of fluff or dirt that is blocking one of the little contacts. I find it is often easier to take a hi res photo of the slots from the top down to see if there are any contaminants.

Once all is tidy, I would clear CMOS to restore factory settings and start again. Could just be a corrupted bit of memory training or bios that is causing you grief.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

I take this moment to thank you all for the help!

I believe this problem is beyond our limits, so I decided to send the kit back, asking for a replacement that really works as supposed. The motherboard still refused to use all 8GiB in both black slots or both red slots... checked every pin for dust/dirt, cleared cmos several times, switched memory stick places... but nothing works. My guess is the DIMM_B1 and B2 have some kind of problem.