cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G73JH-A3 Locking Up

Retired
Not applicable
I've had a G73JH-A3 for almost a year -- it's worked fine until recently.

I had version 211 of the BIOS until I just now found version 213 was available. Until the update, 720p and 1020p video flickered at times; my laptop started locking: Keyboard light stayed on but mouse, touchpad, and keyboard wouldn't work and screen was frozen on what was last displaying -- no error message, only way to power down was by holding the power button or removing the battery. I could power up and use it for about 15-20 minutes before it would happen again. The BIOS update doesn't have any release notes, so I'm not sure what it fixes.

It seems to have cleared up with the BIOS update, has anyone else run into this? I also found there have been firmware updates to the hybrid Seagate MomentusXT drives that I applied as well, but they're at the manufacturers site and not Asus.

I there a video driver update in the works? I see mention of something here, but it doesn't sound like an official update. I'm not a gamer, so there's no hurry -- just curious, thanks.
1 REPLY 1

Retired
Not applicable
benjitek wrote:

Is there a video driver update in the works? I see mention of something here, but it doesn't sound like an official update. I'm not a gamer, so there's no hurry -- just curious, thanks.

There is a video BIOS update that is needed to use current ATI mobility drivers without issues. It is listed under betas on Chastity's now legendary driver reference sticky. IMO I would really be surprised if ASUS made this available on their web site. Many of us are using one of her 2 VBIOS options, so to me these are official. Just out of curiosity what Video driver are you using now?