• Asus RAMPAGE IV FORMULA MB, Socket 2011, X79
  • Intel CORE i7 3820/3.60GHz/10MB CACHE/LGA2011/4CORES
  • Corsair Cooling Hydro Series H100 High-performance CPU Cooler
  • Sapphire ATI HD7970 3GB
  • Samsung 128GB SSD 830 Series
  • LiteON SATA DVD-RW 24X
  • Corsair Vengeance CMZ16GX3M4X1600C9 16GB (4x4GB) 1600MHz DDR3 CL9
  • Corsair Obsidian 550D Black Mid-Tower Case

Just put everything together last night (FYI i've built loads of PC's before) and went to boot it up this morning and nothing. Fans (case, radiator and video card) spin up, lights switch on as you'd expect, but there's no debug code showing up (it doesn't light up at all).

I've noticed a stupid number of threads on the forums that seem to have similar issues to mine and have the same cpu/ram/mobo combo... hoping a blind flash of the bios will fix it. Will update to advise.

If anyone has any other suggestions please feel free 🙂
10 REPLIES 10

Haeiz
Level 7
By the way, my cousin led is red too.

I've just tried blind flashing the bios to the latest version, it worked first go and the computer rebooted but still no change.

Any ideas?

HiVizMan
Level 40
Hello Haeiz - I have nearly the exact same set up as yours for my 24/7 system. Only difference is I do not use the Vengeful memory.

Could you please try the following for me.

Check the last 4 digit number on the sticker between the SATA and 24 pin PSU connector, that will be your shipping BIOS.

If it supports the CPU you are using then all good.

Use the BIOS switch button item 20 on page 2-2 in your manual to the B BIOS

Remove all your memory and place one stick in the slot furtherest away from the CPU (any side will do)

Clear CMOS

Power up

The X79 CPU's I have used do not all like the Vengeance ram - but I am not suggesting that the ram is the cause. Just sharing an observation. Oh and I am moving this to your own thread.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

Hey mate thanks for your reply but still no luck 😞
bios is 0403.
I've blind flashed to the latest version (1404?)
I've swapped to B bios and cleared cmos, also removed the battery for 10mins just to be sure.
I've re-seated the cpu numerous times and inspected the pins but I'm not familiar with this choose to and it's >2000 pins so I have no idea if they're bent or not (though at this point I'm highly suspecting either that or the cpu is faulty).

I've taken some hires pics of the empty socket which I'll upload in a moment but I have no idea if you'd be able to tell much. It's surprisingly hard to photograph a lga2011 socket 😞

HiVizMan
Level 40
Just make sure you have the 12v CPU power connectors in your motherboard mate, not having them correctly seated will prevent your system from booting.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

emaratee
Level 9
Am also running Vengeance on my setup with fully loaded DIMMS @ 32GB with no issues ...

The last time I had a similar issue to yours the DRAM led was lit up and ended up with DOA motherboard.

You could try another cpu before calling DOA on the motherboard.

Wow n00b moment...

So, just in case anyone else ever makes this mistake....

The H100 radiator fans partially obscure the 4/8 pin atx connector at the top of the board when setup in this case (corsair obsidian 550D). I just noticed it while staring blankly at the guts of my pc feeling depressed.

For the record, although it is the tightest of tight squeezes, it fits - just. Massive design flaw from corsair 😞

@hivis - thank you so much for your help. You're a God send 🙂

HiVizMan
Level 40
LOL all good Haeiz - nice to get one right. You stop by and visit some you hear.

Cheers

HiVizMan wrote:
LOL all good Haeiz - nice to get one right. You stop by and visit some you hear.

Cheers

Thanks mate - i'll be back! 🙂
next thing to read up on is how to tune the BIOS... sooooo many options :eek:

HiVizMan
Level 40
The guides here in the different motherboard sub forums are boss dude. Can not beat Raja's explanations of each setting.