Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question G55 GPU Temperature Thresholds and Fan speeds (on Fully Loaded)

Hi Guys, would like to know,
    • The G55 series manufactures temperature thresholds and maximum fan speed it can reaches.
    • It's interesting to understand what does actually "Dual Intelligent Cooling" means? (G55 has a sticker pasted and illustrated two fans with nice graphics. but reaches to ~85c maximum on fully loaded do bother me of-course! )
    • Does any accurate app to check/analyse CPU/GPU Fan speeds?

Cheers!

ROG Guru: Orange Belt Array

iBoody. the G55 has 2 fans but only 1 out vent on the right side (left if your looking at it).

i use Hwinfo64 to check my temps.
    G75vw DS71
    3610QM I7
    16GB Ram 1600mhz
    750GB+120GB(patriot pyro)
    Nvidia gtx 660m
    Purple Keyboard mod
    Proud Owner of a GTX 660ti DC-II

ROG Guru: Gold Belt Array dstrakele's Avatar

"Dual Intelligent Cooling" means the CPU and GPU fans can run at different speeds depending on how hot they get. HWINFO64 displays both fan speeds (if you enable the "EC" Sensor when asked on the first launch of the "Sensors" page). The Prime95 stress test will demonstrate Dual Intelligent Cooling as it exercises the CPU rather than the GPU, so you should see higher CPU fan speeds as compared to the GPU fan.

I wouldn't be concerned about maximum temperatures of 85 C. You still have sufficient overhead to avoid the 100 C limits of CPU and GPU. When you start getting sustained {not maximum) temperatures exceeding 90 C, you can start looking more closely at ways to cool your laptop.
    Last edited by dstrakele; 07-24-2012 at 05:54 PM.
    G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

Quote Originally Posted by dstrakele View Post
    "Dual Intelligent Cooling" means the CPU and GPU fans can run at different speeds depending on how hot they get. HWINFO64 displays both fan speeds (if you enable the "EC" Sensor when asked on the first launch of the "Sensors" page). The Prime95 stress test will demonstrate Dual Intelligent Cooling as it exercises the CPU rather than the GPU, so you should see higher CPU fan speeds as compared to the GPU fan.

I wouldn't be concerned about maximum temperatures of 85 C. You still have sufficient overhead to avoid the 100 C limits of CPU and GPU. When you start getting sustained {not maximum) temperatures exceeding 90 C, you can start looking more closely at ways to cool your laptop.
    Thanks for replying guys! Yes,,,I also have used AIDA and GPU-Z apps for reporting. But sadly they didn't retrieves fan speeds infos .

as "dstrakele" says, I did install HWINFO64 version v4.01-1693 (beta) to check Fan speeds. enabled "EC" check box and run. But I couldn't find these exact values for fan speeds. (even I tried with stable release v4.01-1680)

So can you kindly direct me how/where to check under Sensors? My sensors page only displays almost every details expect CPU/GPU fan speeds. (RPM values) I'm so frustrated here now

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	check.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	353.3 KB 
ID:	10403
    Last edited by iBoody; 07-24-2012 at 08:05 PM.

ROG Guru: Gold Belt Array dstrakele's Avatar

I show fan speeds from the EC just above the S.M.A.R.T. sensor info for my HDD's.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sensors.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	160.1 KB 
ID:	10404

HWINFO64 may be unable to read your EC. From what I see, you've configured it correctly, but the EC sensor info is not displayed. Perhaps a REBOOT or relaunch of HWINFO64 may do the trick?

If you do find them, you can add them to the HWINFO64 Gadget in the color of your choice, or choose to display the fan speeds in your taskbar.
    Last edited by dstrakele; 07-24-2012 at 08:48 PM.
    G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

Helium Chilled Array _ PC Specs
    _ PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)G46VW
    MotherboardRampage IV Gene
    ProcessorIntel Core i7-3930K
    Memory (part number)Corsair Dominator Platinum 32GB (CMD32GX3M4A2133C9)
    Graphics Card #1ROG Matrix GTX 780 Ti
    Sound CardROG SupremeFX III
    MonitorASUS VG248QE with GSync mod
    Storage #1Plextor PX-M2 SSD 120GB
    Storage #2G.Skill Phoenix Blade 480GB PCIe SSD
    CPU CoolerCooler Master Seidon 240M
    CaseCooler Master HAF-X
    Power SupplySeasonic X-750
    Keyboard Corsair K90
    Mouse ROG Gladius
    Headset ROG Orion
    OS Windows 8.1 Update 1
    Network RouterASUS RT-AC66U

Quote Originally Posted by iBoody View Post
    Hi Guys, would like to know,
    • The G55 series manufactures temperature thresholds and maximum fan speed it can reaches.
    • It's interesting to understand what does actually "Dual Intelligent Cooling" means? (G55 has a sticker pasted and illustrated two fans with nice graphics. but reaches to ~85c maximum on fully loaded do bother me of-course! )
    • Does any accurate app to check/analyse CPU/GPU Fan speeds?

Cheers!
    Temp thresholds for mobile GPUs are around 100C. If your notebook is stable it's fine.

Dual intelligent cooling means the notebook has two independent fans and heatpipe setups - one for the CPU and one for the GPU. They monitor each and react according to each temperature individually.

Quote Originally Posted by MarshallR@ASUS View Post
    Temp thresholds for mobile GPUs are around 100C. If your notebook is stable it's fine.

Dual intelligent cooling means the notebook has two independent fans and heatpipe setups - one for the CPU and one for the GPU. They monitor each and react according to each temperature individually.
    Yes, Richard of-course that's fine and clear. But the fact is,,,does this G55 model has 2 fans? if it does, why it doesn't present in my sensor infos on same app configuration? (I hope dstrakele notebook is G7X-XX series)
    Even other reporting tools are shown only CPU fan speed and nothing related to GPU. (GPU meter shows as 0RPM!!!)

Actually how could you explain this? How could I see my GPU fan speed? might be this is the fact that some GPUs burn n highest temperatures when fully loaded, cz it only cooled by one CPU fan though!!!

yea man...download a lot of programs and none of them tells me the fan speed for the g55.
    but for other laptops they do. Still unsure of how to solve this problem.

yea man...download a lot of programs and none of them tells me the fan speed for the g55.
    but for other laptops they do. Still unsure of how to solve this problem.

ROG Guru: White Belt Array

yeah I have a g55 and I cannot see the GPU fan RPM with any program

please fix

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast