cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disappointed - ASUS G55VW

DayTravels
Level 7
I don't know much about computers, but I knew I was going to like this one. When I started the computer, I booted it up and started to install games and programs. I was very exited!

Then I noticed that the CD-Rom didn't work. ASUS support told me to reinstall windows, and guess what, it didn't work. So I had a defective CD-Rom. This isn't the worst problem since I don't use it too much. But it is unacceptable imo.

The second problem I noticed, was problems with my sound. I guess many people have heard about it. The VIA driver problems. I used many hours trying to find the solution, and finally I got it right (After reinstalling windows, I had to do it again. It took some time since I couldn't remember the sites I got the right drivers from).

Then I found one more annoying problem. Sometimes (a couple each hour), my computer started to freeze. The freeze didn't last long, usually 1-2 sec, but this was long enough to kill me in-game and annoy me when listening to music and watching movies.

The ASUS support didn't really help me, and they said to send it for repairs/refund. So I am going to get my money back now... This really is a shame, because of how good this laptop really is! But these problems/bugs is just too much for me and I must say that I am very disappointed on how ASUS could sell this laptop with so many problems.

(I do realize that some of these, and probably the majority, of these laptops work, but it still looks like many people have the same problems as I do. Also, sorry for bad/incorrect language)
13 REPLIES 13

dstrakele
Level 14
Unfortunately, in today's world of mass-produced electronic gadgets, sometimes a defective out-of-the-box laptop may need to be exchanged for a new unit (even multiple times!), before you get one without issues. I read of people who've exchanged their iPad 3's six times or more to obtain one they could live with...

The freezing during gaming could've been due to 1) a conflict with McAfee antivirus or 2) the firmware version on the Seagate Momentus XT HDD (if one was installed in your system). Still, the bad DVD drive would necessitate an exchange for a new unit or a complete refund. So you did the right thing...

If any electronic gadget is defective right out-of-the-box, don't let anyone talk you into an RMA to send it in for warranty repair. Once you do, you own that gadget and will have to wait without it while the manufacturer repairs it. Exchange for a new unit or complete refund are the only options.

They'll eventually get a fix for the sound issues - probably later than sooner. So if you really liked the G55VW, just monitor this forum until you see a resolution.
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

Appreciated! 🙂

cl-scott
Level 12
I will just chip in saying that for about three years I worked as a hardware tech. I wouldn't have had a job if every computer were perfect.

No one likes it when it is your turn to be "it" and get the bad computer, phone, car, or whatever. I one time took my car in for the low tire pressure light being on... Should have only been 10-20 minutes, tops, but somehow my paperwork got lost in the shuffle and so the whole process took around 2 hours. It's never fun when it's your turn to get the short end of things, but it happens. This is why products come with warranties. If you are one of the "lucky" ones to get a defective unit, then you have a guarantee that the manufacturer will make it right.

X-ROG
Level 15
Remove McAfee and update your sound drivers to 10400. 10500 will be available soon (a link to the beta's are available in the sound threads). That should fix your sound. As for DVD drive, well, that's unfortunate 😕

MarshallR@ASUS wrote:
Remove McAfee and update your sound drivers to 10400. 10500 will be available soon (a link to the beta's are available in the sound threads). That should fix your sound. As for DVD drive, well, that's unfortunate 😕

oh.. beta sound driver.. great!

I've been extremely disappointed as well. The sound on this laptop is unacceptable for the price and the constant "We're gonna fix it" routine is getting old. Beyond that though, my biggest issue is the fact that there has been an increasing grinding fan noise that i hear while playing games. It started off just doing it on start up, now it does it all the time. It is a distinct ball bearing fan noise. Now they want me to send my computer in ON MY DIME to get it looked at and hopefully fixed (I've read that Asus doesn't always send things back fixed and that they don't have the best service track record). My friend was going to buy a G75, i told him to save his money up and shoot higher. Anyone who asks me about Asus gaming rigs will get the same answer from me. "No", until these things are fixed and not draining my wallet further because of their mistakes, i will make sure everyone i could possibly associate with doesn't buy an Asus.

TheGongshow wrote:
I've been extremely disappointed as well. The sound on this laptop is unacceptable for the price and the constant "We're gonna fix it" routine is getting old. Beyond that though, my biggest issue is the fact that there has been an increasing grinding fan noise that i hear while playing games. It started off just doing it on start up, now it does it all the time. It is a distinct ball bearing fan noise. Now they want me to send my computer in ON MY DIME to get it looked at and hopefully fixed (I've read that Asus doesn't always send things back fixed and that they don't have the best service track record). My friend was going to buy a G75, i told him to save his money up and shoot higher. Anyone who asks me about Asus gaming rigs will get the same answer from me. "No", until these things are fixed and not draining my wallet further because of their mistakes, i will make sure everyone i could possibly associate with doesn't buy an Asus.

Compared to the other vendors, ASUS is the best.

MSI, Clevo, Alienware all have their own severe issues.

Also, where did you purchase your unit?

What country are you from?
USA ASUS Reseller
http://www.neteffectspc.com

Shawnnepc wrote:
Compared to the other vendors, ASUS is the best.

MSI, Clevo, Alienware all have their own severe issues.

Also, where did you purchase your unit?

What country are you from?

Odd you say that except my friend bought an MSI instead and has absolutely NONE of the problems or even close to the problems i've had with my Asus. His MSI runs without a hitch right out of the box.

I bought it at Fry's Electronics and i live in the USA

TheGongshow wrote:
Odd you say that except my friend bought an MSI instead and has absolutely NONE of the problems or even close to the problems i've had with my Asus. His MSI runs without a hitch right out of the box.

I bought it at Fry's Electronics and i live in the USA

We've had pretty high failure rates with the MSI laptops and decided to pull them from our store. I also had to swap out enough of them that we actually ended up loosing money.

Also, is it past the returns period for Fry's? It sounds like the bearing in the fan may have been damaged during shipment.

Have you opened the bottom slot cover to verify that the grill didn't somehow get bent and is hitting the blades?

Did you try contacting Marshall on the forums to see if anything can be done about those shipping costs?
USA ASUS Reseller
http://www.neteffectspc.com