cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2 Driver problems with G75vw-ds72, no resolution on forums (just discussion).

Riiyan
Level 8
I have 2 problems with my G75 that I am 99% sure is driver related and there is in fact NO fix as of now that I can find.

Problem 1. The subwoofer is not linked to mute when headphones are plugged in. This includes both normal heaphones and iPhone headphones with mic. I can produce it over and over on queue and is NOT intermittent like people say it is on the forums. They are just not reproducing the same situation. "At least this is my experience." ( From a technical aspect I can reproduce it enough to call it not intermittent). All new (headphones already plugged in) webpages and programs that produce audio will initially still allow sound to come from the software unless you mute or alter the volume by 1 level up or down. (Drive problem? Defiantly yes!) Since it does not matter what software you use.

My suggestion for problem 1. Get the product development team to rewrite the drivers so that the subwoofer is allocated in the same way the normal speakers are and give us more control of the levels of the subwoofer in the console. The subwoofer is often to loud initially to balance out the audio in the first place and this also needs to be addressed as a tweak.

Problem 2. Intermittent keyboard lights they will not turn back on and the fn + up or down will not work for them to get them back. I know how to reproduce it but it does not always respond but it does happen enough that it is very aggravating. Anytime a screen or battery saving function initializes the keyboard lights have a chance of going out. This happens even when you switch uses modes with the on the fly performance button next to power and it also happens when the screen is closed and reopened, when you sleep or hibernate the computer and when you screen saver initializes and wakes back up. I have reproduced ever one of these situations and it is intermittent. (Driver problem? Defiantly yes!) Since it does not matter if you reinstall drivers or what you change in windows. You can still reproduce it.

My suggestion for the problem. Have the developers get there hands on a G75VW-DS72 load some games or websites with that uses some graphical power then do one of the things I mentioned above while the program is running and I am 99% they can reproduce the problem and then rewrite the fix into the drivers.

I have reproduced both of these problems even after trying to reload my entire software back to factory default with my BD Recovery disk I have.

There are tons of people who talk about this on the forums but ASUS has not owned up to it.

LOOK.... It's a problem in your software and your drivers. PERIOD. Can we please own up to it and get it fixed? I didn't pay 2099.99 to have a laptop that has flaws. This is not the in the character of the ASUS ROG branding. I can understand everyone makes mistakes we just need to get this fixed and move on.

-Ryan

I would like to also add that the keyboard lighting can easily be fixed if you need to temporary turn them on to use them again. Restart your computer.
16 REPLIES 16

Shawnnepc
Level 13
Ryan,

On all of the G75 units that we've sold I installed the latest VIA beta drivers and it resolved the headphone issue.

I haven't had any issues with the keyboard or keyboard back-lights on the units we've sold. I also personally use a G75 and haven't encountered this issue. It sounds like you have a isolated defect.

If this issue is more widespread the easiest thing to do would write an application to page the keyboard backlight.
USA ASUS Reseller
http://www.neteffectspc.com

__11364___926__
Level 8
Shawn,

What driver version are you running for the VIA drivers? I'm having the same issues as Ryan with audio, every time I open a new window or go to a new page in a web browser the sound will play through the headset and blast threw the speakers as well. I could understand if it had been only one of the laptops I returned, but it has been the case with all 3. I've done clean installs on the last two and updated the drivers to the most current that I'm aware of.

So far the only fix I have been able to come up with is to uninstall the VIA drivers completely and just let the HD Drivers take over. However, the sound quality just isn't the same, even with my Turtle Beach X12's.
ASUS G75VW-BBK5
CPU: i7-3610QM 2.30/3.30 GHz. Ivy Bridge
Memory: 24 GB Corsair Vengeance PC1666 DDR3
HDD: 1x 1TB HDD 5400RPM
Graphics: GeForce GTX 660M 2GB
Screen: 17.3' Matte Full HD LED Screen

ⱤΞΛⱣΞⱤ;135405 wrote:
Shawn,

What driver version are you running for the VIA drivers? I'm having the same issues as Ryan with audio, every time I open a new window or go to a new page in a web browser the sound will play through the headset and blast threw the speakers as well. I could understand if it had been only one of the laptops I returned, but it has been the case with all 3. I've done clean installs on the last two and updated the drivers to the most current that I'm aware of.

So far the only fix I have been able to come up with is to uninstall the VIA drivers completely and just let the HD Drivers take over. However, the sound quality just isn't the same, even with my Turtle Beach X12's.

We used the 1500b drivers (I don't have the exact number in front of me) We uninstalled the drivers normally, rebooted and then installed the beta drivers.

I've contacted ASUS to see if there are any chip differences between the Best Buy/Retail SKU and the SKU's I can purchase for resale. That may explain why the beta drivers are not working for you guys.
USA ASUS Reseller

Shawnnepc wrote:
We used the 1500b drivers (I don't have the exact number in front of me) We uninstalled the drivers normally, rebooted and then installed the beta drivers.

I've contacted ASUS to see if there are any chip differences between the Best Buy/Retail SKU and the SKU's I can purchase for resale. That may explain why the beta drivers are not working for you guys.

Could you give me a link for the 10500b? I have the 10400 (Being the latest update on Asus.com) I have searched google for the drivers and still come up empty handed.
ASUS G75VW-BBK5

Shawnnepc
Level 13
I'll PM you the link to our server. Please do not share this link w/o letting me know 🙂

We've fully tested this driver.
USA ASUS Reseller

Shawnnepc wrote:
I'll PM you the link to our server. Please do not share this link w/o letting me know 🙂

We've fully tested this driver.

Thanks Shawn!

I can verify after testing this driver update that it does currently work on the G75VW-BBK5 Best Buy Model. Unfortunately I haven't come across Ryan's keyboard issue. Could you possibly upload a video of the problem Ryan, to give us a visual idea of what's going on?
ASUS G75VW-BBK5

Followup,
I don't seem to have any control over the subwoofer at all. When I adjust the volume control to 25 the subwoofer begins to overpower the other speakers. When adjusted to 7 or 8 the the subwoofer cuts out all together.
I there suppose to be a separate subwoofer control in the VIA Audio Deck?
Thanks Again

Singinwolf725
Level 9
Greetings to all,
Updated me G75-BBK5 to the 500d drivers. Plugged my headphones and the Subwoofer does not shut off. If I open the Via HD Audio Deck and turn off the "LFE" I loose all sound both in the headphones and the subwoofer. Can someone help.
Thanks,
Don