cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HDD/BIOS Security Password Question

tech_droid
Level 7
This is something I noticed when originally checking out the security feature of the G75, I've noticed that entering passwords for both the HDD and the Admin/User pre BIOS boot.. It only takes lowercase passwords.

I tend to use the standard Uppercase, Lowercase, Alpha-Numeric with special characters. I freaked out at first when it took my complex passwords when setting up, but after rebooting I was pretty much locked out. Then having tried the password as all lowercase I was ablet to unlock it.

So the main question I have is.... What is the password requirement/capabilities of the G75? I use Drivelock with the HP Elitebooks we use at work, and never encountered such a problem. The sad thing is I highly recommended this laptop to the company I work for, as I realy liked how cool and quiet it ran compared to other gaming laptops. However the security issue might be a big enough deal that we will be sending these back. Hopefully I can get some info regarding this.

~ TD
7 REPLIES 7

MaXimus711
Level 10
The BIOS settings in 99% of the laptops don't allow for such complex passwords....you're not in Windows dude, it's a BIOS = Basic Input / Output system

MaXimus711 wrote:
The BIOS settings in 99% of the laptops don't allow for such complex passwords....you're not in Windows dude, it's a BIOS = Basic Input / Output system

This. It's a standard function not a professional level one. The G series is not a business notebook - please look at the P or B series.

tech_droid
Level 7
MaX,

Using just basic upper and lower case with numbers is hardly complex (No special Characters). The HDD password security is a joke compared to the HP DriveLock setup which is also done via BIOS on the Elitebooks I setup at work using Linux and not Windows. I'v never encounters BIOS that didn't take upper and lower case with numbers.

tech_droid
Level 7
Thats what I was starting to think, makes it a bit rough with having to manage the laptop security wise for a company that develops games and trying to stay within security policy. Business notebooks don't cut it performance wise and the gaming laptops don't cut it security wise. One could only wish someone would merge the two together.

~TD

X-ROG
Level 15
There are hard drives or SSDs that offer native level encryption (http://communities.intel.com/thread/20537?start=0&tstart=0). Tbh, unless the system has a TPM module, BIOS passwords are useless anyway afaik.

Linux doesn't have encryption software options?

MarshallR@ASUS wrote:
There are hard drives or SSDs that offer native level encryption (http://communities.intel.com/thread/20537?start=0&tstart=0). Tbh, unless the system has a TPM module, BIOS passwords are useless anyway afaik.

Linux doesn't have encryption software options?

I agree with Marshall, there's not such a need for complex BIOS password. Most people who use a PC have no idea how to bypass this function and if they do they will typically not have a clue of what to do once they get in. For those that do know how to get in we typically have a good idea of what we're looking at.
ASUS G75VW-BBK5
CPU: i7-3610QM 2.30/3.30 GHz. Ivy Bridge
Memory: 24 GB Corsair Vengeance PC1666 DDR3
HDD: 1x 1TB HDD 5400RPM
Graphics: GeForce GTX 660M 2GB
Screen: 17.3' Matte Full HD LED Screen

GottiBoi55
Level 10
tech_droid wrote:
This is something I noticed when originally checking out the security feature of the G75, I've noticed that entering passwords for both the HDD and the Admin/User pre BIOS boot.. It only takes lowercase passwords.

I tend to use the standard Uppercase, Lowercase, Alpha-Numeric with special characters. I freaked out at first when it took my complex passwords when setting up, but after rebooting I was pretty much locked out. Then having tried the password as all lowercase I was ablet to unlock it.

So the main question I have is.... What is the password requirement/capabilities of the G75? I use Drivelock with the HP Elitebooks we use at work, and never encountered such a problem. The sad thing is I highly recommended this laptop to the company I work for, as I realy liked how cool and quiet it ran compared to other gaming laptops. However the security issue might be a big enough deal that we will be sending these back. Hopefully I can get some info regarding this.

~ TD

No special Characters are allowed in BIOS.
GottiBoi55
Asus
G750JZ-DS71 Windows 10 Pro (x64)
Intel® Core™ i7 4700HQ (2.40GHz)
Samsung
24GB Memory DDR3 1600 MHz SDRAM
SanDisk
M.2 SSD 2x128GB in Raid 0 / WD-HGST-1TB HDD 7500-RPM
NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 880M 4 GB GDDR5 VRAM
Second Monitor: Shar
p Aquos 32"