cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intel (R) ME

BCVikes1701
Level 7
I perforemed a clean install of Windows 7 Pro 64 yesterday and loaded the requisite drivers. I am curious, however, if the Intel (R) ME and related services are necesary. I noticed that, if the Intel ME is uninstalled, an unknown device shows in the Device Mnager with a corresponding yellow warning triangle by the computer icon when viewing Device and Printers. But I can't find any information that make any sense to me about the Intel ME and related services. I have them disabled right now and the system works just fine. Does anyone know what Intel ME is and should I have it enabled and running?

Thanks in advance for the hel[.

BC

Edit: Computer is ASUS G75VW
4 REPLIES 4

mrwolf
Level 10
Intel Management interface is a component of Intel's Vpro remote access technology. Unless you plan to use that feature then it is really quite uselss lol.. I mistakable installed the drivers too when i put my new SSD in and reinstalled windows, before i know what it was for but i havnt got that yellow triangle issue.. Wish i could uninstall it tho since its a waste of space and the latest drivers installed some unnecessary components too that i dont need 😕 at least there is nothing running in the background that i know of..

MaXimus711
Level 10
I always install it because I dont want to have any exclamation marks in Device Manager,

After you install it, make sure you go to Control Panel, Programs and Features, then uninstall the Management Engine Recovery Agent... now THAT gets automatically installed with MEI and uninstalling it will not remove the basic MEI and its driver, it is just another components for remote assistance for IT Pros

Thanks guys - appreciate your thoughts. I uninstalled the recovery agent and left the other services disabled. The more unneeded stuff I can get rid of, the better.

This is a great Forum, by the way. Certainly the best in terms of issues raised and the responses given. Excellent!

Have a good one.

BC

BCVikes1701 wrote:
Thanks guys - appreciate your thoughts. I uninstalled the recovery agent and left the other services disabled. The more unneeded stuff I can get rid of, the better.

This is a great Forum, by the way. Certainly the best in terms of issues raised and the responses given. Excellent!

Have a good one.

BC

sure you're most welcome