cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Water-cooled PC: Build Advice

Deletive
Level 7
Hello, I'm Building a New PC and i need help on some things

My Pc is a Gaming Pc, but i will be doing alot of video editing.

Here's my Build:

Case: Storm Stryker $160

Cpu: 3930k $600

Motherboard: Big Bang xpower 2

(the reason why i'm not going with RIVE is because I'm a little sick of it's colors after so long, if it was black and blue then i would be all over it)

RAM: 16 Gb's of Kingston HyperX 1866

GPU: This is where i'm having a problem

i want to go 670 sli (DCU ii) ($850)

then there's GTX 690 ($1049)

Msi 680 Lightning sli ($1200)

and Finally Watercooled GTX 690 ($1200)

I might sli the gtx 690 later or pick up a Gk110 Dual gpu card when it's out

SSD: 240GB Kingston HyperX $210

HDD: 2tb seagate 7200RPM $109

Sound Card: Asus Xonar Essence STX 24-bit 192 KHz Sound Card $199

and Power Supply is: Cooler Master 1050W (Silent Pro hybrid) $250

I'm going to being water-cooling the cpu (For sure) but i don't know if i should watercool the Graphics (like the Gtx 690) because when Gk110 come out and i want to upgrade it won't be worth as much.

Pump: Swiftech MCP655 $66

Cpu Block: EK-Supremacy - Acetal + Nickel $81

Rad: XSPC RX240 Extreme Performance Radiator Version 2 $69

Bitspower Water Tank Z-Multi 150 - POM: $35

Fittings: Bitspower True Gold (don't know what size tubing yet.
11 REPLIES 11

speed
Level 12
ignore me................................................................................................

Being ingnorant and ingnored one post at a time.

speed wrote:
This is Asus RoG if you want help with MSI products I would go to MSI forums.

He listed several ASUS products, one where he's considering an MSI alternative, and you're telling him to go to MSI. It would be a shame to make everyone who doesn't own a complete set of ASUS products feel unwelcome.

Deletive, please try to ignore the people pushing you out the door.

I'm quite happy with my 670 DCu2. It is one card supporting 3 monitors so it's doing pretty well. However it would not be a good choice for water cooling since you'll pay extra for DCu2 cooling. But as long as you let the card get air the DCu2 is pretty quiet. It won't need to crank up the fans unless it is pretty hot so it might even fall below the noise floor of your radiator fans.

If you're seriously looking at GK110 then I'd invest as little as possible now so you don't have to try and recoup it in a used sale.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

X-ROG
Level 15
Seems a shame to miss out on the M5F given it is already watercooling ready

But you might seek more appropriate advice here for the GD80 specifically: http://forum-en.msi.com/

🙂

EK does waterblocks for the GTX 670 DCII: http://www.ekwb.com/shop/ek-fc670-gtx-dcii-nickel.html Two in SLI will be better value than the 680s and should OC well under water.

I would strongly recommend some MOSFET blocks on your MB too, as X79 boards need some cooling: http://www.ekwb.com/shop/blocks/motherboard-blocks/mosfet-blocks/intel-x79-series.html

X-ROG
Level 15
Honestly, it's likely GK110 won't be out til '13. You can get a great 6+ months out of SLI 670s.

speed
Level 12
ignore me...........................................................................................

Being ingnorant and ingnored one post at a time.

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Watercooling SLI graphics cards can mean a whole lot more radiator real estate...at least the total equivalent of a 480..... ideally the eqivalent of two 360s (especially if your ambient temp is high where you live/summer etc.).

In my opinion it is not worth it when you can get cards with great coolers. Two ASUS GTX 670s DCu2 in a case with good airflow will be great. If you watercool two 670s and you live somewhere warm it might be best to have two separate loops one for GPUs one for CPU and VRM for example and you will need to find a case to fit all this.

And don't forget......A pair of 670s in the hand is worth a GK110 in the bush!

X-ROG
Level 15
I've watercooled a 480 + 2500K on a single 360 rad before, no sweat. It's 37C here in the summer with 90% humidity.

Zka17
Level 16
I've just got a GTX 670 DCII TOP (http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?18970-Optimizing-my-temporary-ROG-Rig/page4) - it's amazing! Even OC'd the temps are not going over 70C, of course, I'm running the fans at 90-100% with max OC's - but even then, the noise is almost inexistent (have to mention that I do have some sound dampening in my case)...

Deletive
Level 7
afrter seeing ivy bridge-e coming out in late 2013 i'm think i'm going to go Maximus V formula and 3770k since i hate all of the X79 boards. my question is i want to overclock my 3770k to 4.5ghz, will it get too hot or will i have to replace the thermal paste on the die since the paste on ivy bridge sucks soo soo much.