cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus G74SX touchpad gestures issue

Hashed
Level 7
Hi guys,
Sorry if this is a noob question, but I'm new to these forums and my search results didn't help me. I recently bought a G74SX (I believe is has a Synaptics touchpad -- at least that's what the driver says it is), and the gestures do not work, such as the double finger scrolling. This isn't a major issue, but it does get frustrating, as well as time consuming doing it via other methods (mainly by manually scrolling through the scrolling bar on the right hand side). I was just wondering if anyone had a solution to this problem.
Thanks in advance.
ASUS G75VX 17.3" Full HD
GeForce GTX670MX 3GB
Core i7-3630QM
16GB RAM 1600 MHz
Samsung 840 Pro 256GB + 1TB HDD 7200 RPM
9 REPLIES 9

Hashed
Level 7
problem fixed! sorry for the useless thread, the laptop came installed with the Synaptics driver, but using the Sentelic driver seems to have fixed the gestures
ASUS G75VX 17.3" Full HD
GeForce GTX670MX 3GB
Core i7-3630QM
16GB RAM 1600 MHz

Bojamijams
Level 7
Whaaa... a driver from a different manufacturer shouldn't work at all... maybe your G74 had the Sentellic touch pad?

Bojamijams wrote:
Whaaa... a driver from a different manufacturer shouldn't work at all... maybe your G74 had the Sentellic touch pad?

Yeah well that's what I was thinking, but then that would mean the laptop came factory sealed with the wrong driver.
ASUS G75VX 17.3" Full HD
GeForce GTX670MX 3GB
Core i7-3630QM
16GB RAM 1600 MHz

I have an Asus G74sx-DH71 and my problem is the touchpad will not disable while i'm typing (there is a software option to disable the touchpad while typing) i can manage to get it to disable for about 3 minutes then it re-enables itself. i cant stand it when i'm typing something and my thumb or palm LIGHTLY touches the touchpad and the cursor jumps. I use the laser mouse that my laptop came with. The software will not disable the touchpad while an external mouse is plugged in either.

I tracked down the problem to the drivers. THe laptop shipped with Syntelic ver 9.1.3.5. With this version, (in my situation) if you disable the internal touchpad in the bios, it will also disable the keyboard in win 7 as well as the touchpad. I look around and found some other people were having problems as this so i installed version 9.1.7.7 and that fixed the problems. The touchpad disables correctly via the software, and if you disable the touchpad in the bios it will keep the keyboard active within windows 7. You can download ver 9.1.7.7 Here
Desktop:
Motherboard: ASUS ROG MAXIMUS VI EXTREME
RAM: 32gb Ballistix 1866 DDR3
Chip: Intel Core i7 4770k OC'd Stable 4.8ghz
Water Cooling: Corsair H110i
Power: Corsair 1200i
Video: Asus STRIX OC'd GTX 980
Primary Hard Drive: SAMSUNG Pro 256gb SSD
55" Vizio HD display
Audio: Logitech Z5500
File Server: Dell Poweredge r710 1.3TB Hard Drive Storage 128gb RAM
Storage SAN #1: Dell Equallogic PS100e 14x 750gb SATA
Storage SAN #2: Dell Equallogic PS5000V 16x 1TB SaS

It wouldn't surprise me at all if it had the wrong driver. Everything is installed from a system image, so if the image had the wrong driver...

I have the Sentelic tp too, and if I remember, my system came with the Synaptic driiver. When the tp didn't work well, I tried installing a new version and Windows wouldn't let it install. Then everyone on the forum was discussing how bad the Sentelic tp was, so that got me wondering, and sure enough my system came with the wrong driver!
Read the User's Manual for more info. 😄

G74SX-A1 BIOS 203
Intel 6230 WiFi/BT
LG E2350 LED LCD Monitor
Intel Series 510 120 GB SSD

Drivers, Apps and How To's
Latest nVidia Drivers

JRd1st on DeviantArt.com

JRd1st wrote:
It wouldn't surprise me at all if it had the wrong driver. Everything is installed from a system image, so if the image had the wrong driver...

I have the Sentelic tp too, and if I remember, my system came with the Synaptic driiver. When the tp didn't work well, I tried installing a new version and Windows wouldn't let it install. Then everyone on the forum was discussing how bad the Sentelic tp was, so that got me wondering, and sure enough my system came with the wrong driver!

yup. its very common though i've found. even other brands. i had a lenovo G560 it was a great laptop for simple stuff. the touchpad drivers were ass on that one too. once i installed a new driver it worked fine after that.

i've never tried to use the touchpad gestures or gestures for any of my devices for that matter.... I suppose i could give it a try at some point 😕 Some things, i'm still old school
Desktop:
55" Vizio HD display
Storage SAN #2: Dell Equallogic PS5000V 16x 1TB SaS

I NEVER even use the tp, anymore. I only use a mouse. Lol

Talk a out "old school" 🙂
Read the User's Manual for more info. 😄

G74SX-A1 BIOS 203
Intel 6230 WiFi/BT
LG E2350 LED LCD Monitor
Intel Series 510 120 GB SSD

Drivers, Apps and How To's
Latest nVidia Drivers

JRd1st on DeviantArt.com

Bojamijams
Level 7
How would one find out if they have the Synaptic or Syntelic touchpad?

Bojamijams wrote:
How would one find out if they have the Synaptic or Syntelic touchpad?

well, the device manager would be the first clue. right click on the touchpad driver and click properties then the driver tab.

another way would be going to asus's support site and putting in your model number or list drivers by model number this usually will pull up what hardware that is commonly associated to your model number.

I know the syntelic drivers do a self check before they will install. if the installer cant detect a syntelic touchpad, then it will abort the install. i'm not sure with the synaptic installer though 😕
Desktop:
55" Vizio HD display