cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus V Formula mPCIe WiFi Problems

prosoto2269
Level 7
I got my new PC up and running but the WiFi+Bluetooth module continues to vex me.

Windows 7 installed on the SSD. I then put the included Asus disc into the BD drive and installed all drivers via InstALL. Did the same with the Utilties. Installed all software for the DirectCU II Top GTX680 and hoped all was well but...

All my devices are looking good except the WiFi portion. My bluetooth is showing up just fine both in control panel and in the wireless network devices. I am showing an unknown device however. I suspect it is the WiFi since it is not working.

So I try running AI Suite. No luck. I hooked up a spare USB WiFi adapter I had lying around and downloaded the WiFi drivers from the support site and then disconnected the USB. I ran ASUSSetup.exe and it launches the AI Suite but doesn't give me the option to install the drivers. No worries: I just opened up the files, navigated to Win7/Vista folder and ran the setup from there. A menu pops up asking me if it's cool to install these driver from publisher Broadcom. Please do...my patience is wearing thin.

The drivers appear to be installing and then goes away...wtf?

I run the same .exe again and this time after running the install it asks to reboot my PC. I do so and after returning to my desktop still no device. Shows unknown in the control panel. Fuuuuuuuuuuuu... OK how about a BIOS (UEFI?) update to 701. No luck there either.

At this point I surrender and start jumping into Windows 7 bits. I run all current Windows Updates including optionals. I reconnected my USB adapter and tried to find drivers online. No joy: it asked me to download from the vendor...

I then offer to provide the drivers from the disc. It says no drivers found on the disc. I tried each folder individually. Still no applicable drivers. So I then tell it to custom browse from a folder of my designation where it then finds the bc setup file and gives me a selection of various Broadcom products and drivers. I thought I had it at this point but after trying EVERY one of the offered drivers on 7 all I would get is a warning that the driver might not work, cause the PC to be unstable, kill everyone I love etc etc. After installing each one I would get a code 10 error saying the device would not start. I'd uninstall and repeat for each driver. I still have no WiFi...

This is hugely frustrating to be defeated by this. I have yet to find what model card this is and, even if I knew, I can find NO WHERE on Broadcom's support area to download directly from them. The Asus download didn't work so that leaves me pretty well stiffed right now. The module is clearly good because my bluetooth works like a champ. Board is good too because after running all the benchmarks and stressing the whole system for two days it hasn't even given me a hiccup.

Someone...help...
2 REPLIES 2

Anzial
Level 7
I think it's just defective, well at least the wifi portion. You might try to get it RMAed. Alternatively, if you have a spare Intel wifi minipcie card, you can drop it in instead of the asus one. I think I'll do that, I have one lying around anyways. Intel wifi minipcie cards are the best, and driver support for them is superb.

Well that's definitely what I was hoping to avoid but it seems I'm running out of options. I'm beginning to suspect for the first time in a dozen PC build with Asus I may have finally got the lemon 😞

I've tried broadcom drivers from Asus, HP, Broadcom, ad infinitum and have had no luck no matter what path I take. Your suggestion for an Intel card was one suggested in another thread and I think I may be going that route sooner rather than later. Broadcom now has something of a bitter after taste for me given my experience with their products in laptops in the past.

If anyone comes up with a magic bullet within the next few days please let me know before I'm driven completely mad.