cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Please help with screen flicker issue?

NovusPhoto
Level 7
Hey all. Hoping this is a relatively minor fix.

I bought this laptop a couple weeks ago, and did a fresh reinstall as it was just FAT with bloatware.Got everything back up and running again, relatively few problems with exceptions to audio. That's STILL a mess. But, when playing back video wherin there's flashing lights (For example, video shot at an electronic festival) the screen chops up into huge horizontal lines, like the image is fracturing. It's hard to explain, but it's like the top half and the bottom half of my screen are refreshing at different rates.

It doesn't do this on my desktop or my other laptop, just this new one. And this laptop is worlds better than my other one.

Here's a sample video of the problem, something I took on my cell phone to demonstrate the issue. While it's REALLY bad during flashing lights, or fast action, it also does it to a lesser extent with completely normal scenes as well. The guy IN the video is a DJ I shot in Vancouver 2 weeks ago, and I'm trying to edit some video clips together, and I need to have this sorted ASAP so I can get this video done.

If anyone can give me some suggestions, that's be really awesome. The drivers are all up to date and current, btw, downloaded from ASUS's website.

Thanks!

USEFUL INFO:

------------------
System Information
------------------
Time of this report: 8/3/2012, 19:54:45
Machine name: NOVUS2
Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1 (7601.win7sp1_gdr.120503-2030)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC.
System Model: G75VW
BIOS: BIOS Date: 04/06/12 13:27:48 Ver: 04.06.05
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3610QM CPU @ 2.30GHz (8 CPUs), ~2.3GHz
Memory: 8192MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 8152MB RAM
Page File: 1746MB used, 14555MB available
Windows Dir: C:\Windows
DirectX Version: DirectX 11
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
User DPI Setting: Using System DPI
System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
DxDiag Version: 6.01.7601.17514 32bit Unicode

---------------
Display Devices
---------------
Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M
Manufacturer: NVIDIA
Chip type: GeForce GTX 660M
DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC
Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0FD4&SUBSYS_21151043&REV_A1
Display Memory: 4043 MB
Dedicated Memory: 1995 MB
Shared Memory: 2047 MB
Current Mode: 1920 x 1080 (32 bit) (67Hz)
Monitor Name: Generic PnP Monitor
Monitor Model: unknown
Monitor Id: CMO1720
Native Mode: 1920 x 1080(p) (60.010Hz)
Output Type: Internal
Driver Name: nvd3dumx.dll,nvwgf2umx.dll,nvwgf2umx.dll,nvd3dum,nvwgf2um,nvwgf2um
Driver File Version: 8.17.0012.9644 (English)
Driver Version: 8.17.12.9644
DDI Version: 11
Driver Model: WDDM 1.1
Driver Attributes: Final Retail
Driver Date/Size: 3/30/2012 07:35:00, 17666368 bytes
WHQL Logo'd: Yes
WHQL Date Stamp:
Device Identifier: {D7B71E3E-4C94-11CF-5F56-19011FC2C535}
Vendor ID: 0x10DE
Device ID: 0x0FD4
SubSys ID: 0x21151043
Revision ID: 0x00A1

Thanks!
22 REPLIES 22

dstrakele
Level 14
See if the 304.79 BETA driver from NVIDIA installed from Windows Safe Mode choosing Custom Install and checking the Clean Install checkbox resolves your video issue.

Consider making a Windows System Restore Point before installation, so you can easily return to your current video driver version if it becomes necessary.
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

Yeah, I tried that. Didn't work. 😞 (Thanks, btw, for telling me how to get those drivers to install... Whenever I tried before, I got the "no compatible hardware found" message, so, now I know what to do... thanks!)

Anyways, I installed the new drivers as per your method, and while the install went completely pain-free, there's been no changes. I've even tried changing up the refresh rates, and nada. 😕

dstrakele
Level 14
If you connect your laptop to an external monitor or HDTV, does it display the same video issue as the laptop display?

If you do an ASUS Factory Recovery and still experience the problem, I'd be tempted to contact the retailer and exchange your G75VW for a new unit, if that option is available to you. The "no compatible hardware found" error on driver installation makes me suspect a hardware problem.

You could also confirm if the issue appears while on battery vs. A/C.

Confirm your outlet is properly grounded or see if the issue persists when you use different outlets or an outlet in a different building.

...and keep that electronic festival viewing to a minimum. It'll damage your brain... ;>{)>
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

I had a screen flicker issue too, but wasnt like yours. But you can try to do what i did which worked for me.

Open the nvidia control panel, then adjust desktop size and position and hit full screen

Then go to change resolution -> Customize -> Create Custom resolution -> Type 67 in refresh rate

and select it on the list after, then right click desktop > Screen Resolution > Advanced Settings > Monitor Tab > Screen Refresh Rate > put in 67hz

Destroyer99 wrote:
I had a screen flicker issue too, but wasnt like yours. But you can try to do what i did which worked for me.

Open the nvidia control panel, then adjust desktop size and position and hit full screen

Then go to change resolution -> Customize -> Create Custom resolution -> Type 67 in refresh rate

and select it on the list after, then right click desktop > Screen Resolution > Advanced Settings > Monitor Tab > Screen Refresh Rate > put in 67hz

Hello Destroyer99!
I have the same problem as the threadstarter.
When i try to do this refreshrate tho, and set it to 67Hz my monitor just goes into safemode and displays only like 7 colors or something, i think my 27" monitor only supports up too 60Hz.

Should this refreshrate work on every monitor or am i just doing it wrong (why is 67 the magic number btw)?

Would be glad to get some help since its annoying to play games with all that flickering.

Regards Nick

c_man
Level 11
Is there a way to get a look at the original video?

I never had problems with flickr in moving images, but I had something and the 67Mhz fix worked.

I use laptop2video drivers, 304.79

Pitcher1
Level 9
did you try to install new vga driver from ASUS support site for WIn7 (V8.17.12.9697)? or still not help?

Mike_Lu@ASUS wrote:
did you try to install new vga driver from ASUS support site for WIn7 (V8.17.12.9697)? or still not help?

Yeah i tried to install those drivers now aswell, but still no improvment.
Such a wierd problem this is, does anyone have some other tip i can try?

edit, i tried with a totally different monitor now and the same flickering appeared on that one, so it must be some problem with the laptop.

bbsanchezi
Level 7
yeah,had a screen flicker issue too, but wasnt like yours. But you can try to do what i did which worked for