cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wifi Issues with G55 compared to old U52F

Mkrevald
Level 7
I ordered my new G55 from Best Buy on August 30 and just received it today as a replacement to my U52F which is about 1.5 years old. I booted it up, set it up, and connected to my home connection, and noticed the wifi was running awfully slow (between 70 and 200 KBps) on the G55. I figured that it could have just been an issue with the router so I reset it. After I reconnected I still had the slow connection, so I tried to see if my original U52F was having the same issues, but it's running at about 2 MBps while the G55 continues to hardly break 150 KBps consistently. I've since tried it with 2 other laptops and the household and all of them can keep their connection speeds at their usual while the G55 keeps running slowly. I don't know what's causing this or what I should do to troubleshoot any problems, can anybody give me any advice?
13 REPLIES 13

Mkrevald
Level 7
Also, the G55 has an Atheros Wireless Network Adapter and the U54F has an Intel: Centrino WiMAX 6250.

dstrakele
Level 14
Are you getting an "excellent" WiFi signal strength?

Is the Atheros wireless adapter using "N" protocol?
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

c_man
Level 11
How is the signal? I've said this before, the reception is not that great on Atheros compared to my XPS Centrino whatever model it has, I always forget.

With good reception I had ~8MB/s.

My connection fluctuates between 4 and 5 bars throughout my house on the G55, but next to the router it stays at 5 bars, however it still only gets about 200 Kbps.

I do have an N router (I forgot to mention that previously), how would I go about changing its protocol to N?

In terms of connection speeds I get about 16 Mbps from my room and 18 Mbps next to the router on my U52F, while the G55 only gets .8 Mbps and 1.2 Mbps from my room and next to the router respectively.

dstrakele
Level 14
Right-click on the Wireless Icon in your System Tray to display the Wireless Networks. If you mouse over your Router's SSID, a popup dialog will appear. The "Radio Type" will display the protocol of the connection.

If it is NOT "N", launch Device Manager, right-click on your Wireless Network Adapter device and choose "Properties" from the popup menu. Select the "Advanced" tab and confirm the "Wireless Connection Mode" is set to "Auto".

While you're in "Properties", go to the "Drivers" tab to see what Atheros driver version you're running. Uninstalling the driver, REBOOT, reinstalling the current (or most recent) driver for the device would be the next step.

I checked the radio type like you said, and it is 802.11n, so that isn't the issue I assume. I checked the advanced tab in my wireless adapter's driver anyways, and there was no choice to change any wireless network mode.

I uninstalled the driver afterwards and rebooted my G55, connected it to my router via ethernet cord and downloaded the latest driver, but it still doesn't get over 200 kbps.

Thank you for replying by the way, it's nice to see someone out there is willing to help. 🙂

(Additional information edit)
I upgraded the driver from 9.2.0.469 to 10.0.0.54, if that matters at all.

I tested the wifi at my girlfriend's house, and it's getting about 25 Mbps, which is about what I'm getting at my house. I suppose it's a specific issue with the G55 with my N router at my house, because both of my notebooks worked well here. I'm going to look into any differences between the routers and see if I can change anything about the one at home.

dstrakele
Level 14
Try configuring your router to use channel 1 with WPA2-Personal Security and AES Encryption.

You can also try deleting your current Wireless Network on your laptop in "Manage Wireless Networks" and then recreating it by connecting to it again.