cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrading the "Athersucks" wifi module in G73SW-XT1

Idestruction
Level 7
Hey guys, long time lurker first time poster. Was just wondering if I need to do anything special (like fabricate any brackets) for the Intel 6200 wifi module I am getting in a couple of days to upgrade the "Athersucks" one in my laptop. Does the module fit perfectly in the slot, or is there some sort of gap. I have tried googling this issue, but there is no info on it. Any info would be greatly appreciated!

Also, why the hell does a major company like Asus use such shoddy and crappy wifi modules in laptops that are "top of the line"? Makes me angry that some people got the nice Intel modules right off the bat, but I got stuck with the crappy one.
5 REPLIES 5

I_LIKE_MY_O_C_C
Level 8
All post 2009 laptops have mini pcie slots that contain the wireless adapter. As long as you have a card with a mini pcie slot, and wifi adapter that is also mini pcie, should work. I recommend the intel ultimate N 6300. Not much more than the 6200. Stronger adapter. Your laptop has mini pcie just like mine, and pretty much every other laptop brand.

Why did asus give you a crappy adapter? Probably to save money as of recent. The people who got intel must be from an older gen. I am sure that asus stopped supplying intel adapters with laptops sold today (ivy bridge).

Good point. I did not opt for the 6300 because I did not want to waste the money on buying an adapter with 3 antenna connections when my laptop only has 2. I also do not feel like having to disassemble this laptop to route a third antenna (from what I have heard, it is fairly easy to mess the keyboard up pretty bad due to the double-sided tape that helps hold it down). And I got the 6200 for $21 with shipping from Amazon. The lowest price I have seen a 6300 go for is $38 or $40

I would have got the 6300 just for being future proof. You could also transfer it to a laptop in the future. If you do change it, post some pics here on the forums to help other out if you can. You don't have to have all antenna connections installed to use the 6300.

Yea, i know I don't need to have all the antennas, but the speed of the 6300 will only be 300 Mbps with the two antennas, which is the same as the 6200. I dont plan on getting rid of this laptop anytime soon, and hopefully when I do the next laptop I buy will have a decent wifi card in it already. I will try and get some pics in here when I receive the module. Although, the process is very easy to do on the G73Sw-XT1

Sweet, tell us the results and other improvements when you've done the install.