cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Display driver stopped responding and has recovered

cntmrc
Level 7
Hello everybody. I have a new Asus G75 and sometimes I (randomly) have the following error when I logon:

Display driver stopped responding and has recovered
Display driver NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 296.44 stopped
responding and has successfully recovered.

Before the message appears I see a short screen freeze, and the backlight goes to maximum.
Did you experienced the same problem? Any idea on how to fix this?
Thanks in advance...
4 REPLIES 4

Zka17
Level 16
I don't have too much experience with laptops, but I can share my experience on desktops...

On desktops this message, as indicated, is related to the graphic card driver. If it was working properly before, it's meaning that it was left on auto update and updated itself... and Nvidia's drivers somehow are messing up themselfs...

What I would do is completely remove the any Nvidia thing (driver, sound, physics, etc - it requires several restarts), then boot in safe mode and clean up the leftovers with Driver Sweeper. After that manually download the driver from Nvidia's webpage and install it - immediately disable the auto update! Now, the question is which driver? That I can not tell you... maybe look around in the laptop forum with your specific graphic chip...

I manually updated the drivers using the NVidia installer, but I still have those random interructions. It happens sometimes (say, every 5-6 turn on) and few seconds after the login. After that i just need to set the screen light back to its original value and continue using the computer for hours with no problems. Very strange issue, anyone else have experienced this with Asus G75?

I don't know if it is related, but after unboxing the screen border was a little off, and I fixed that simply by snapping into position. Now It is ok, exept for the left border which is not exactly even, but I can live with that. Should I do something or complain with Asus support? Suggestions?

EDIT #1: Can it be some task starting at login? should I disable something here?

EDIT #2: I found this link
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2665946
I've tried to use the "Fix it for me" application from Microsoft, here is the link:
http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=9805447
I hope this solve the problem. Let's see in the next hours...

EDIT #4: Nope, the "Fix it for me" didn't solve the problem. Back to EDIT #1 approach. Any of you know what the startup tasks are for? What can I disable there? Why "ISM-UpdateService-4e00205a" is repeated twice? What is that service?

Can some mode move the conversation into the Asus G75VW topic?
Sorry for posting it here...

dkdenz
Level 7
same problem here (G75VX - win7 pro)
does anyone know what to do?